Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SU Elections '12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭spillit67

Fair enough. But he did make an absolute fool out of himself at the BFM Hustings. He has also done an awful job at C&C, which he seems to have accepted on Facebook. Coming along on Monday night to have a go was the last act of a failed student politician.

Either his terrible performance in office or his personal "issues" have also led him not to seek re-election. He knows he failed, we know he failed. It's as simple as that.

Why has he failed?

Personally C&C seems like the most pointless position going (and the others aren't up to much either) but by what metric has he 'failed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

spillit67 wrote: »
    Why has he failed?

Personally C&C seems like the most pointless position going (and the others aren't up to much either) but by what metric has he 'failed'.

He's the C&C officer, and yet he has seen his main role as criticising both The Tribune (admittedly non-SU) and Belfield FM on facebook, boards, and on air on the radio.

The only things I've seen him do all year were appearing at an Irish Education "funeral" and then turning up to criticise the calibre of his successor at Monday's Hustings. Any emails I've directed at Lacey have been replied to by Pat.

I also cannot think of one achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

He's the C&C officer, and yet he has seen his main role as criticising both The Tribune (admittedly non-SU) and Belfield FM on facebook, boards, and on air on the radio.

The only things I've seen him do all year were appearing at an Irish Education "funeral" and then turning up to criticise the calibre of his successor at Monday's Hustings. Any emails I've directed at Lacey have been replied to by Pat.

I also cannot think of one achievement.

I'd love to get a personal email from Pat.

I'd climb that like a tree. ;)

gradlife wrote: »
    I'd love to get a personal email from Pat.

I'd climb that like a tree. ;)

president@ucdsu.ie, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Letter released from VP for Students stating Guiney not under investigation for theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

its_phil wrote: »
    Letter released from VP for Students stating Guiney not under investigation for theft.

It's surreal that it has actually come to that. I mean, that letter is now in the public domain (presumably by Guiney's wishes), which means he'll always have this hanging over him. It wasn't exactly reassuring when he confirmed he was in fact under investigation (albeit for something else), but refused to clarify. Something as serious as that should have been disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The canvassers outside the polling booth are unbelievable, they're like beggars at an ATM, should be banned from doing that tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

The canvassers outside the polling booth are unbelievable, they're like beggars at an ATM, should be banned from doing that tbh...

I agree, in other colleges they aren't even allowed into the building! Imagine how peaceful that would be!

Last year someone even offered me a fiver for my "I voted" badge. They really are ridiculous characters those canvassers!

Headphones are the key not to be harassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Or just try hard to cultivate an expression of "Go fuck yourself"

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »
    Or just try hard to cultivate an expression of "Go fuck yourself"

Or just tell them to **** themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The 'I voted already' line was working for a while, now they're asking me who I voted for.

F u c k. Off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Predictions?

President: Breslin.
    C&C: Paddy Guiney.
    Entertainments: Heffo.
    Education: Geoghegan.
    Welfare: Conway.

I'd be interested to see what effect Geoghans offensive yelling campaigners had on his numbers - would love if I wasn't the only one that kind of tactic turned off. Apart from that, and seeing Karl Gill not win, not really bothered.

President: Breslin.
    C&C: Atkinson
    Entertainments: Heffo.
    Education: Comer.
    Welfare: Conway.

I really hope for a No in the constitutional vote, but I fear it won't happen.

The above five are also not the way I voted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Raphael wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see what effect Geoghans offensive yelling campaigners had on his numbers - would love if I wasn't the only one that kind of tactic turned off. Apart from that, and seeing Karl Gill not win, not really bothered.

To be honest the shouting is something that every campaign team tries to achieve. At the end of the day it seems with the UCDSU that the most vocal takes it.

I was listening for names the whole (annoyingly long time) it took to get ballots, and while there was a lot of rabble, "VOTE SAM GEOGHAN" was the loudest. I'd actually been inclined to give him my vote before, because a returning candidate has a better idea what they can actually do, but after that my vote will go to RON before him.

To be honest the shouting is something that every campaign team tries to achieve. At the end of the day it seems with the UCDSU that the most vocal takes it.

I complete disagree. Obnoxious canvassers regularly fúck it up for their candidate.

Deeluu wrote: »
    I agree, in other colleges they aren't even allowed into the building! Imagine how peaceful that would be!

Last year someone even offered me a fiver for my "I voted" badge. They really are ridiculous characters those canvassers!

I'm convinced they are given funny drugs that makes them act outside the normal student psych.. either that or they are that usually deranged... heck even chuggers in Dublin City were less annoying, these guys were ridiciolous.

A ban of them in the building would be bliss... I got sick of saying either " I have your brochue" or I already voted :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Possible win for Geoghan in the education race.

Yelling or no yelling his team were pretty good.

I'd suggest he lost Science and Roebuck, but neither turnout was particularly high. I think it was a wash in vet and health sciences, but they might just tip to Comer. But the rest - arts, quinn, ag, eng, carysfort and richview will turn out for Sam I think.

• Advertisement

President: Breslin
    Welfare: Conway
    Education: Geoghegan
    Ents: Heffo
    C&C: Atkinson
    Constitution: Yes

Apart from Breslin for President, I hope my predictions do not come true!

Also on the topic of shouting canvassers, I'd be less inclined to vote for someone if I was sitting on the fence if they were roaring and shouting at me the day of the election!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Any counts in so far?

From collegetribune.ie:

11.55am:
    Atkinson – 406
    Gill – 97
    Guiney – 395
    Sheerin – 176

Current totals as of 3:45 (from University Observer twitter)

President:
    Breslin – 3265
    RON – 556

Campaigns and Communications:
    Atkinson – 1315
    Gill – 533
    Guiney – 1387
    Sheerin – 605
    RON – 82

Ents:
    Heffernan – 3310
    RON – 490

Welfare:
    Conway – 1825
    Gallagher – 1894
    RON – 248

Education:
    Comer – 1576
    Geoghegan - 1265
    Wolohan – 793
    RON – 192

Referendum:
    Yes - 2442
    No – 1001

Breslin, Gallagher and Heffernan deemed elected, RON has been eliminated from Education & C&C.

I can't really find out much about what Heffo is proposing and envisaging for ENTS Tbh, what is his plan for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I can't really find out much about what Heffo is proposing and envisaging for ENTS Tbh, what is his plan for next year?

More dance, hip-hop and house music, naturally.

More dance, hip-hop and house music, naturally.

Oh woohoo, UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE, UNCE ENTS UNCE ENTS ENTS ENTCE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

i think Geoghegan was hurt by his canvassers being so loud and in your face during the day , couldnt be more happy they were drinving me mental all day , one came up and said " are you voting for Geoghegan because here's why i think he's the best candidate " .. i was in a rush and just said " what the guy who got two other people kicked out of the race against him last year ..nah.." she didnt look to impressed , about an hour later walking back she asked me again !! pita :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I had a great time indulging Guiney's canvassing minions by pretending I cared about their spiel, then blindsiding them by asking whether he was still under investigation by the VP for Students. Their faces just dropped. Brilliant. :D

Advertisement