Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2011 (Voting Thursday March 24)

Comments

I would like to declare my support for paddy rocket in his campaign for CSO, a fellow education student, the soundest bloke your likely to meet and guarenteed to do an amazing job in the role. VOTE FOR PADDY

Also i will be backing Kelly O Brien running for commuinications, the hardest working features editor for an focal ive seen in my 6 years in UL, and would make an excellent editor. VOTE FOR KELLY

I will remain silent on the presidential race as i know derek and keith too well. I know they both have the potential to be excellent in the role. I wish them the best of luck and look forward to their campaigns.

As for education and welfare because i know none of the canditdates i think ill be voting for Aoife Kenny and Tara Feeney, entirely based on the fact that as far as i can tell from their Facebook campaign pages they are both gorgeous :D and it would be very cool to see females to take 3 out of the 5 positions... unless anyone has solid reasons to convince me to vote otherwise of course??

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

As for education and welfare because i know none of the canditdates i think ill be voting for Aoife Kenny and Tara Feeney, entirely based on the fact that as far as i can tell from their Facebook campaign pages they are both gorgeous :D and it would be very cool to see females to take 3 out of the 5 positions... unless anyone has solid reasons to convince me to vote otherwise of course??

Tony Sheridan..... Obviously our chats in the Lame Duck all those years ago and in Galway just this January mean nothing to you :P Not to mention that fantastic drawing lecture you gave this time last year to us teachers? :)

Catch15 wrote: »
    Tony Sheridan..... Obviously our chats in the Lame Duck all those years ago and in Galway just this January mean nothing to you :P Not to mention that fantastic drawing lecture you gave this time last year to us teachers? :)

Tom.. chats in the lame duck or when i was on my college reunion in galway are not very easily remembered due to alcohol consuption :) But my "fantastic" drawing lecture i remember very well, unfortunately there was 120 in the audience so its hard for one guy to stand out...

BUT that being said i remember you now quite well... all im saying is if you had boobs i would have remembered you a lot quicker :P

Best of luck in the campaign!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Tom.. chats in the lame duck or when i was on my college reunion in galway are not very easily remembered due to alcohol consuption :) But my "fantastic" drawing lecture i remember very well, unfortunately there was 120 in the audience so its hard for one guy to stand out...

BUT that being said i remember you now quite well... all im saying is if you had boobs i would have remembered you a lot quicker :P

Best of luck in the campaign!!

Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thedesertman

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I don't know him too well, but I've always thought Thomas Cranley had a great sense of kindness to him. Something you don't see too often in people these days and he's most definately getting my vote.

I agree with Sarah, he does seem like a very genuine person, (Btw I'll be campaigning for Kelly O'Brien)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Ah Tony. Pretty bad reasoning there. Have an look at the other people. there's no need to resort to affirmative action here - if just to give Barry, Eamon and Thomas the respect they deserve for running. I'm supporting Barry for Education but I'm not doing it because he's gorgeous (even though he's a dashing young fella) - policy and experience come into play here too.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

policy and experience come into play here

Which is exactly why I'll be voting Aoife Kenny!

Which is exactly why I'll be voting Aoife Kenny!

And I'll wait until I see some first :P

Half the Facebook pages are only coming live as it is at the moment anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

entirely based on the fact that as far as i can tell from their Facebook campaign pages they are both gorgeous :D
    I'd be breaking boards-wide rules if I gave the response to the above that I'd like to give. Suffice it to say that there are better grounds under which one could consider to whom a vote should be given. Lots of better grounds. All of the other grounds being better in fact.

Ah Tony. Pretty bad reasoning there. Have an look at the other people. there's no need to resort to affirmative action here - if just to give Barry, Eamon and Thomas the respect they deserve for running. I'm supporting Barry for Education but I'm not doing it because he's gorgeous (even though he's a dashing young fella) - policy and experience come into play here too.

:P

haha, my reasoning is in question :eek: ......as anyone who knows me shall vouch for a pinch of salt is needed when listening to anything i say lorcan, of course i would only be happy to see the other 2 ladies in office if they were indeed the best for the job as i know kelly will be. and hopefully the policies and experience will shine through in the various campaigns and i can make a well informed decision on election day

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote: »
    I'd be breaking boards-wide rules if I gave the response to the above that I'd like to give. Suffice it to say that there are better grounds under which one could consider to whom a vote should be given. Lots of better grounds. All of the other grounds being better in fact.

pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I'll go for whoever is the most approachable, someone i can go to in person if i have a query or something. Common touch makes a huge difference although to be fair the lads in the SU are friendly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

hi guys, following on from what sceptre said earlier, my name is Eamonn T. Gardiner and I'm a former Education Officer (08-09). I'm a good friend of Baz Kennedy's and I'm purely posting this to (a) declare my position and (b) wish all the candidates running the best of luck; elections are great craic and absolutely horrific!!

Eamo

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Hi everyone!

Kelly O'Brien here. I was tempted to stay away from boards until I heard about people declaring their support for me here. I couldn't let that go unnoticed so I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who is supporting me. I won't let you down! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Dia Daoibh.

With the SU Election coming up, I would like to ask the candidates what their position on the Irish language is, and if Elected, what they intend to do for Irish in the SU.

If you are interested in Making Irish an Issue for the Election, Please join our Facebook Page. Make Irish an Issue

We would be delighted if the candidates would join and support An Gaeilge during their campaign.

*Cumann Gaelach will not be taking a partisan role in the election, we will not support or oppose any candidate. We will just be working to make an Gaeilge an issue during the Election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Dia Daoibh.

With the SU Election coming up, I would like to ask the candidates what their position on the Irish language is, and if Elected, what they intend to do for Irish in the SU.

If you are interested in Making Irish an Issue for the Election, Please join our Facebook Page. Make Irish an Issue

We would be delighted if the candidates would join and support An Gaeilge during their campaign.

*Cumann Gaelach will not be taking a partisan role in the election, we will not support or oppose any candidate. We will just be working to make an Gaeilge an issue during the Election campaign.

I am not making my manifesto points public knowledge until the hard copies are distributed on Monday. Having said this, I am more than willing to discuss this topic with you if you private message me. If you are the individual who has already messaged me about this topic, I am in the process of replying to you now.

Thanks!

Kelly O'Brien
    Communications 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I am not making my manifesto points public knowledge until the hard copies are distributed on Monday. Having said this, I am more than willing to discuss this topic with you if you private message me. If you are the individual who has already messaged me about this topic, I am in the process of replying to you now.

Thanks!

Kelly O'Brien
    Communications 2011

TRANSLATION: I will be making my manifesto available to the public just as soon as I've finished writing it :P

Been there, done that, just make sure you don't accidentally slander the other candidates by saying you're the only candidate standing against......:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SaltandVinegar

Hello Everyone

Please vote barry kennedy for education, he definitly is a worthy winner!! Barry is truely a great man, caring, intelligent and a team player !! Based on his experience, policies and true commitment for the UL Student Unions I know he will make an excellent Education Officer... He has worked so hard for the past FOUR YEARS in a variety of different roles within Societies and the Students.

Aoife is a lovely lady, but unfortunately is a blown in... she has only been involved in the SU for the past year.. I understand that she is a good faculty's officer.. .But hands down Baz Kennedy is hell of alot more qualified !! My impression is that Aoife wants the job, cos its a job. Barry on the other hand, wants to be a Education Officer because I genuinely believe he wants to do the best job possible ...

Please Vote for Barry Kennedy !!! He's a Legend of a Man !!!

Please note I am not on barry's campaign team !! But just to elaborate on my point of experience::

Barry Kennedy's Experience to date:
    • Class Rep since 2006
    • Deputy Chair of Class Rep Council
    • Worked on Campaigns Working Group,
    • Worked in the Class Rep Development Working Group
    • Worked on the Electoral/Referenda Board
    • Active member in many Clubs & Societies e.g Drama
    • Former member of ULTV society
    Aoife Kenny's Experience to date:
    • Class Rep since 2010
    • KBS Faculty Officer since 2010
    Barry Kennedy is also a highly regarded among all the Class Reps, Officers and general population for his personal attributes and total commitment to the SU.
    Barry Kennedy to win Education Officer !!!

Sorry love, but I aint Eamon or Barry..

To be fair, I am new to boards.ie, I hardly know how to work this website and I wish for my Identity to remain private..

I agree with your point of view that fresh faces always help. However Aoife as sound as she is.. shes in the clique herself.. and friends with alot of Officers an SU folk herself.. So I wouldnt consider her to be a fresh face..

I want to someone who has shown commitment to SU.. and Baz certainty has plently of fresh ideas himselves..Read his manifesto !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

constantg wrote: »
    TRANSLATION: I will be making my manifesto available to the public just as soon as I've finished writing it :P

Doubt it- Some of the ideas need to remain original though. ;)

Hello Everyone

Please vote barry kennedy for education, he definitly is a worthy winner!! Barry is truely a great man, caring, intelligent and a team player !! Based on his experience, policies and true commitment for the UL Student Unions I know he will make an excellent Education Officer... He has worked so hard for the past FOUR YEARS in a variety of different roles within Societies and the Students.

Aoife is a lovely lady, but unfortunately is a blown in... she has only been involved in the SU for the past year.. I understand that she is a good faculty's officer.. .But hands down Baz Kennedy is hell of alot more qualified !! My impression is that Aoife wants the job, cos its a job. Barry on the other hand, wants to be a Education Officer because I genuinely believe he wants to do the best job possible ...

Please Vote for Barry Kennedy !!! He's a Legend of a Man !!!

I'd also point out that being a good Faculties Officer isn't necessarily an electable thing unfortunately... *whistles to self and remembers last year* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There is absolutely no need for personal attacks! This has nothing to do with personalities and is about how someone will perform in a role.

You'd know it was election season. I don't know what you're used to where you're from, but it won't be tolerated round here!

/backseatmod :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Like I proved earlier in this thread, none of this matters.

Put your efforts into making the funniest and shiniest ad campaign possible, and get all your friends out canvassing. Thats what may win it for you.

Because 90% of the people voting (especially now that it's e-voting) won't know the candidates and don't give a toss about the SU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

! My impression is that Aoife wants the job, cos its a job.

Dont know the girl at all but i doubt shes just in it for a job...its takes a great of courage to run for a sabbat position, so i doubt she cares any less about the position than any other candidate running for any position

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

My impression is that Aoife wants the job, cos its a job. Barry on the other hand, wants to be a Education Officer because I genuinely believe he wants to do the best job possible ...

This is bo**ox. Do you think any of the candidates would put their name forward if there wasn't a decent wage or it didn't look good on their CV?

They're not doing it for the good of their health. They all "want the job, cos it's a job". Nothing wrong with that of course

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Eurgh.

*Puts up Do Not Feed sign*

On a lighter note, I'd like to wish all the candidates the best of luck in the elections. It takes a lot to put yourself forward for one so hope you all have a good week of canvassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Everyone's Ross Kemp from behind a keyboard.

Also, any current sabbat Will tell you that the amount of work they do in proportion to their wages does not constitute a fortune.

Troublemakers and sh*t stirrers crawl out from under rocks and trolls crawl out from under bridges every year. I think its fair enough to say that student who bother voting are intelligent enough to ignore what's not worth hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NotMoose

I think its fair enough to say that student who bother voting are intelligent enough to ignore what's not worth hearing.

3811055786_b51d292cde.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Let me first say that as a sabbat, I will try and find out as much about each candidate before I make my decision for whom to vote for in each position. Saying that, I don't believe it's possible not to have a favourite candidate, and I won't try and insult anyone’s intelligence by saying I’ll be 100% impartial because NOONE, no matter how much they try and convince you that they are impartial, will not secretly have some sort of favourite due to personal relationships.

Looking at the candidates I know all in some capacity except Enda, and i'll be looking to meet him over the week.

Looking more specifically at the presidential candidates, I think that it's great to have a mix of experience, energy and enthusiasm from each of the three.

Daly obviously has the experience of two years in welfare, some will argue it is time for him to move on, but there is the definite benefit of knowing policy, knowing the University and already having relationships built. The obvious “Fianna Fail” bashing will probably be littered throughout the week, but let me be the first person to say as someone who has worked with Derek for a year, not ONCE did his FF opinion come into play throughout the year.

Young was a surprise candidate for me but someone who I believe could be a very good president. Has experience of sitting on C&S exec, the SU exec and could bring a new dynamic to the SU. Very active with C&S over the years and I'll be looking to see what he would like to bring to the Union in the coming year. Interesting that Keith didn't make himself known earlier, but easily could have been an election strategy of his.

Gallery is someone who I don't know, so I just had a look at policy on his Facebook. Don't get me wrong, but a lot of the manifesto seems like it just tells you how qualified for the job he is, not about what is going to be done and how he is going to do it. All candidates please take note but in this job, personality, charisma and people skills can be your biggest asset, not your qualification.
    This is just my first opinion. I will be looking to have a chat with Enda and have a good chat with as he has some very good ideas and i'd love to discuss them with him. One thing which may lose him votes is his USI re-affiliation plan. This is just my personal opinion obviously.

I definitely think there is some potentially brilliant sabbat teams here this year, and I only hope all the candidates have as good a time as I did last year. :)

It will be interesting to see how the electronic voting will have an effect on the turnout and atmosphere during the elections. The fact that you can vote from anywhere and that people on Co-op and Erasmus can vote is a step in the right direction.

Regarding the voting system it is a tried and tested 3rd party company who will operate the online voting system for the Union and only the members on the ERB will know the result until they will be revealed at 9pm in the Stables Thursday night.

Advertisement