Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSU Election thread ***Read post 72 before posting***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

PrivateEye wrote: »
    No way I'm electing a sticky!
    Political joke of the day there....

As for the elections, it'd be super if people could promise not to do this kind of lame CV bandwagoning. Incredibly, it looks like USI won't even fill the position.

"Cónán Ó Broin has resigned from his position as Vice-President in the USI. The organisation is unlikely to hold a by-election to fill the vacancy - O Brion's responsibilities will be distributed amongst current staff. It is believed he decided to resign from the post in favour ...of a position on the Labour party's General Election campaign team."
    Really?
    Do you have a link to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Really?
    Do you have a link to this?

Several student newspapers saying it on Facebook, that comes from The College Tribune. Quite a bit of discussion online around it.

Tragic, as with recent USI statements, this guy deffo doesn't share the ethos of the party in the slightest. Labour should be a bit more selective me thinks, USI types and Mae Sexton are odd inclusions for a social democratic party.

Basically sitting on a student elected position until another wagon came along, disgrace. This kind of thing will be a factor in student elections now with political elections around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Several student newspapers saying it on Facebook, that comes from The College Tribune. Quite a bit of discussion online around it.

Tragic, as with recent USI statements, this guy deffo doesn't share the ethos of the party in the slightest. Labour should be a bit more selective me thinks, USI types and Mae Sexton are odd inclusions for a social democratic party.

Basically sitting on a student elected position until another wagon came along, disgrace. This kind of thing will be a factor in student elections now with political elections around the corner.

It hasn't been confirmed, so I won't comment on this case

However I agree with the general point that if you run for something you serve the term unless there's a legitimate reason to step down.

And in terms of attacking Croke park it was voted on at national council, and the majority of Student Unions voted for it, MSU voted against it, and I think it's an awful idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

From Twitter (http://twitter.com/ConanOBroin):

"Just wanted to confirm that I have stepped down as Deputy President of USI and will be going to work for Cllr. Robert Dowds' election team."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Grand, sorted, lets talk about SU elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I AM NOT RUNNING FOR RE-ELECTION FOR VP COMMS.

Now stop asking me and get back to passing your exams!

RoB 4 PrEz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

So, apart from Rob's, have any other names been thrown into the ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Haven't heard any yet... Rob rerunning might intimidate any other vp comms candidates.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Is there a definitive date for the election yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

Its odd that my pedanticness has started after the exams...but shouldnt the Thread title be MSU elections?? Schmick'll be getting angry!!

Facebook tells me that both Declan and Kyle from the current exec are considering running...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I expect lots of people to run. All motivated by ideals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

manna wrote: »
    Facebook tells me that both Declan and Kyle from the current exec are considering running...

Shock, gasp, horror.

I love how this thread has 1,581 views but only 44 posts. Clearly a few ambitious folk checking back constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

banquo wrote: »
    I love how this thread has 1,581 views but only 44 posts. Clearly a few ambitious folk checking back constantly.

Also me and my trusty F5 button

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

Ok,
    So Fiach has said he will run for VP Welfare and Cathal Og has certainly expressed interest (Strongly). Not sure if he has 100% committed yet but if his sudden HUGE interest in posting welfare related links on Facebook is anything to go by he's cramming hard on the subject.

Both strong candidates but if i'm honest i think Fiach would easily beat Cathal.

Anybody else heard any names being thrown around for this?

I know of two others sniffing around for it but wont name them just yet.

I'm only aware of one other for Welfare?

So I know one for welfare, two for comms, one for what's being referred to as 'clubs and stuff' and three for prez. But I can't really talk about them because I'm obliged to be impartial / can't gossip.

Shame!

Damn! I only know one for comms, and haven't heard any for pres yet...

oh Rob, you big tease!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

Ive heard of two for Clubs, one definiteish.
    Another possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

all the alluding and no actual names is terribly teasing!!

I know one definate for the clubs one..

I've heard three for clubs, but ones a big maybe.

Thinking about it, I might know the other person for comms... and I hope I'm right; I think they'd be quite good at it.

Is there a definitive date for the election yet?

We have a preliminary date. Depends on a few variables though. I'd rather not put it out into the real world yet in case people take it as gospel and plan their campaigns around it - it's unlikely, but still suspect, to change.

We have a preliminary date. Depends on a few variables though. I'd rather not put it out into the real world yet in case people take it as gospel and plan their campaigns around it - it's unlikely, but still suspect, to change.
    Sounds like another election I could mention :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shmici

Its odd that my pedanticness has started after the exams...but shouldnt the Thread title be MSU elections?? Schmick'll be getting angry!!
    Can't believe I'm only seeing this now!!!
    too right I am Kyle!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

shmici wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm only seeing this now!!!
    too right I am Kyle!!!!

You all should have seen his face when he saw the title. Absolutely priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NUIMRO

The date of the election should hopefully be announced in the first/second week back, following some meetings and decisions and such:)

Title changed.

Ich liebe dich.

• Advertisement

Ich liebe dick.

FYP

:P

Advertisement