Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Local Elections

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

patrickc wrote: »
    there will be no shameless promotion, by those hoping to be elected, or by people canvassing for them in this thread.

there is to be no political arguments either just who your going to vote for and why etc

cheers

Patrick
    stick-dan wrote: »
    Lads as patrick said this is not a political debate, take it to the politics forum if you are that way inclined. Just state who you are voting for and why. Inform other people of the candidates if questions are asked and please try to remain unbiased.

Both of the above mods have given permission to say who and why I am going to vote for.

Here goes. In the local elections I will be voting for Fine Gael, Labour and Independents. In the Euro Elections I will vote Fine Gael and Labour. In both elections not necessarily in the order that I have listed them.

The reason I will be voting for these parties and candidates is that Fianna Fail have for too long used this country for their own gain and the scraps that the normal working or middle class person received were just that... scraps. I will not vote for Sinn Fein as I firmly believe that if taken out of their comfort zone of 'burning all things British except their coal' mentality they are devoid of any serious concrete proposals or ideas to get this country back on track. I cannot take the Green party seriously as they have jumped into bed with Fianna Fail and sadly they are very comfortable there. When you consider that two of their main environmental proposals at the last general election were the halting of the M3 motorway through Tara and the halting of the proposed incinerator in Dublin are now going ahead, and the present Minister of the Environment is John Gormley, I fear for what they would or wouldn't do at a local level.

I do not come at this with any particular political jaundice for any particular ideology, but I am a very fortunate person when it comes to my career and thanks to my father(lifelong communist) I have some sense of social justice and inmost things I would be regarded as a liberal.

This past year has seen this country almost go down the tubes and on that basis the present incumbents should be shown the door. After all they have been in office for almost 20 of the last 22 years and it is my huge regret that its not a general election or that I live in South Dublin where I could gave a vote to George Lee.

One final thing whoever you support and I would respect everyones opinion even Fianna Failers please vote. I was involved in the 'Rock the Vote campaign' in both Israel and the U.S. some years ago and it really is vital to get the younger voter to get involved, take an interest and vote, after all I would say that most people on Boards are may years if not a generation younger then me and you guys need to look after me when I retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭patrickc

leincar wrote: »
    Both of the above mods have given permission to say who and why I am going to vote for.

Here goes. In the local elections I will be voting for Fine Gael, Labour and Independents. In the Euro Elections I will vote Fine Gael and Labour. In both elections not necessarily in the order that I have listed them.

The reason I will be voting for these parties and candidates is that Fianna Fail have for too long used this country for their own gain and the scraps that the normal working or middle class person received were just that... scraps. I will not vote for Sinn Fein as I firmly believe that if taken out of their comfort zone of 'burning all things British except their coal' mentality they are devoid of any serious concrete proposals or ideas to get this country back on track. I cannot take the Green party seriously as they have jumped into bed with Fianna Fail and sadly they are very comfortable there. When you consider that two of their main environmental proposals at the last general election were the halting of the M3 motorway through Tara and the halting of the proposed incinerator in Dublin are now going ahead, and the present Minister of the Environment is John Gormley, I fear for what they would or wouldn't do at a local level.

I do not come at this with any particular political jaundice for any particular ideology, but I am a very fortunate person when it comes to my career and thanks to my father(lifelong communist) I have some sense of social justice and inmost things I would be regarded as a liberal.

This past year has seen this country almost go down the tubes and on that basis the present incumbents should be shown the door. After all they have been in office for almost 20 of the last 22 years and it is my huge regret that its not a general election or that I live in South Dublin where I could gave a vote to George Lee.

One final thing whoever you support and I would respect everyones opinion even Fianna Failers please vote. I was involved in the 'Rock the Vote campaign' in both Israel and the U.S. some years ago and it really is vital to get the younger voter to get involved, take an interest and vote, after all I would say that most people on Boards are may years if not a generation younger then me and you guys need to look after me when I retire.

thats the type of contribtion we want:D

and for the record i'd be of the same opinion since i havent said yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL Nothing like Politics or Religion to get the emotions going, have a look at http://www.politics.ie/leinster/42511-carlow-county-council-local-elections-2009-a-9.html if you want to see more info.

I'll be voting for Pat O'Toole because he is local decent and emm isn't running for Fianna Fáil (ever notice what you get when you take the fadda off the "a" and add "ed" to that? :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

The flaw in your logic leincar, is that this is not a general election and party politics has little place in your decision to choose a candidate. You will be voting for county councilers who deal with local issues and therefore, the candidate whom you feel can do the most for you at a local level is the candidate for which you should vote. MEPs also are beyond government level. When a general election is called then vote for whichever party you feel will govern the country the best but please do not dismiss candidates in this election based on dodgy politics at different levels.
    End of political broadcast. I am not a member of any political party BTW and as it stands there are two candidates who will getting a vote from me PJ Kavanagh(FF) and John Murphy(FG) but I will be happy to support any other candidate who can convice me they will do something for my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Do people know who are existing councillors/or in europe. And who are new for the first time.

John Cassin is new isn't he. And Fergal Browne used to be a senator but failed in the last two elections to become a TD. Walter Lacey in the last elections got over 4000 1st votes - but i presume he is a councillor already.

Who are the existing councilors at the moment?

Yes I believe this is John's first time to run..

Walter Lacey is running around for as long as I can remember.;)

• Advertisement

mickos wrote: »
    The flaw in your logic leincar, is that this is not a general election and party politics has little place in your decision to choose a candidate. You will be voting for county councilers who deal with local issues and therefore, the candidate whom you feel can do the most for you at a local level is the candidate for which you should vote. MEPs also are beyond government level. When a general election is called then vote for whichever party you feel will govern the country the best but please do not dismiss candidates in this election based on dodgy politics at different levels.
    End of political broadcast. I am not a member of any political party BTW and as it stands there are two candidates who will getting a vote from me PJ Kavanagh(FF) and John Murphy(FG) but I will be happy to support any other candidate who can convice me they will do something for my area.

If you read the second last paragraph of my post you will see that it is my regret that it is not a general election. I don't think there is a flaw in my logic as all politics is local until representatives are elected.

The main problem with local politics is that Dail Eireann exercises a huge influence on local authorities through government departments. I would mention the Department of the Environment, and the Department of Communications who would exercise influence and issue directives that most effect local authorities nationwide and not just Carlow. Coupled with an unelected official being County Manager you sometimes have to question the role of local councillors. For good or ill local elections are used by and large by the electorate as a stick to beat respective political parties. This time around it looks like Fianna Fail and the Greens will be beaten by the stick. People from these parties are not stupid and realise this, hence they are thin on the ground and certain party logos are smaller on some posters.

Fortunate or unfortunately their party name will be highlighted on the ballot paper.

Anyhoo I realise that this is not a political forum and will refrain from anything more then generalities when it comes to politics.

One question you may be able to answer as I think you probably live quite close to me is where are the ward boundaries? Ballon seems to be partly in Borris,Tullow and Bagnelstown. Its extremely confusing. I seem to be in Borris, a place I've been to once as I tend to look towards Ballon, Tullow and even Bunclody for the day to day business of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What do people know about Walter Lacey, he is an independent. Does he have a good or bad name around the place.

he's been around for a million years....i'd like to see some fresh faces in the council, not just the same "good old boys" who only appear when they want your vote!

One question you may be able to answer as I think you probably live quite close to me is where are the ward boundaries? Ballon seems to be partly in Borris,Tullow and Bagnelstown. Its extremely confusing. I seem to be in Borris, a place I've been to once as I tend to look towards Ballon, Tullow and even Bunclody for the day to day business of life.

http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie/reports/EABCChapter5(LocalAuthoritiesC).pdf see page 4 for a map, They increased the Borris area by 1 seat and reduced the Tullow area by 1 seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 edwinagrace

KCLR96fm will broadcast a series of Election specials from Thursday, May 21 to Friday, May 29. From 10am to 12pm on Thursday Sue Nunn will be joined on On the Record by the European candidates for Ireland East. On Thursday, May 21, tune in to 96.9fm from 1pm-3pm to hear from the Baganelstown Town Council candidates, on Friday, May 22, for the Carlow Town Council candidates and from Monday to Friday, May 25-29, tune in each day from 2pm to 3pm to hear from County Council candidates in each of the electoral areas. If you've got questions for the candidates email to edwinagrace@kclr96fm.com smile.gif For more see localelections.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

'burning all things British except their coal'

I find this to be a bit unfair, Tarring all members with a brush just because of a previous life that some of their higher ranked members may have lead.

As this a local election I believe that you should vote for the person you believe will do the job and not cut them down for the party they may belong to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Well, if you align yourself to a political party, you should have to expect this.
    That's the way it is.
    If you are a public representative for any political party, everything , your group has done for decades will be taken into consideration by the people on the doorstep.
    The old adage applies here '"Never lie down with dogs, 'cos you'll get up with fleas".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

Well Ill be voting for Joe McDonald. I know he has been in there forever, but that just means experience :)
    TBH, he's fairly sound, and my sister rang a load of councillors with a problem a couple years ago and he was the first (and only I think) one who got back to her. and since then hes been really friendly.
    Dont have a problem with FF, (though lenihan seems genunely retarded an not up to dealing with the recession at all) and like alot of Green policies. Its a pity they are clueless with non environmental issues.
    Its a pity FG have enda, hes holding them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

KCLR96fm will broadcast a series of Election specials from Thursday, May 21 to Friday, May 29. From 10am to 12pm on Thursday Sue Nunn will be joined on On the Record by the European candidates for Ireland East. On Thursday, May 21, tune in to 96.9fm from 1pm-3pm to hear from the Baganelstown Town Council candidates, on Friday, May 22, for the Carlow Town Council candidates and from Monday to Friday, May 25-29, tune in each day from 2pm to 3pm to hear from County Council candidates in each of the electoral areas. If you've got questions for the candidates email to edwinagrace@kclr96fm.com smile.gif For more see localelections.ie

I hope KCLR stays within the boundary's of fairness seeing as one of their employees is a candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I'll vote for this one, and hope to jaysus she gets new election posters.

attachment.php?attachmentid=80300&stc=1&d=1242723253

I wouldn't vote for Fianna Fail even if scarpetta-angelina-jolie.jpg was running for them:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

vote them out and vote someone you know is only promising a loaf of bread not sun moon and/or stars.....if they dont do what they say pin them up and get them to

• Registered Users Posts: 33 hughj

Butch09 wrote: »
    all these lads are the same. a pack of good for nothing wasters, promis the sun moon and stars and give nothing. waste of time and money!!!!
    Thats a bit unfair, this is my first time going for election and I am being realistic with the people that I meet, meaning that I am not promising the sun moon and stars but that I will work dam hard for people on the ground with local issues that effect us all and as the youngest candidate (23) I will bring a badly needed fresh aproach to local politics.

I dont want to be accused of draging the thread off topic ;) so if ye want more info sure feel free to contact me, by pm or email

hugh Conaghan
    Fianna Fáil candidate for Carlow Town,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I will bring a badly needed fresh aproach to local politics.

A fresh approach would be to join a different political party. Do not expect a friendly reception if you come to my door. As far as i am concerned the party you represent has failed both myself and the country. This is not a personal dig at you but the failed policies of Fianna Fail.

hughj wrote: »
    Thats a bit unfair, this is my first time going for election and I am being realistic with the people that I meet, meaning that I am not promising the sun moon and stars but that I will work dam hard for people on the ground with local issues that effect us all and as the youngest candidate (23) I will bring a badly needed fresh aproach to local politics.

I dont want to be accused of draging the thread off topic ;) so if ye want more info sure feel free to contact me, by pm or google me

Hugh Conaghan
    Fianna Fáil candidate for Carlow Town,

this is not about promoting onesself, will leave this for now, people can google/pm if they want your email though... we prefer them not in threads thanks

and not as mod here as poster, i met you out putting up your posters last week, gf said his surname is like yours and i said what i think ok Fianna fail people , not sure if you remember me or not

• Advertisement

and not as mod here as poster, i met you out putting up your posters last week, gf said his surname is like yours and i said what i think ok Fianna fail people , not sure if you remember me or not
    I think I remember alright (dont remember the surname bit mind you)
    I understand a lot of the anger aimed at my party but there are plenty like me in the party who want to improve our local community and we have great people in the grassroots here in Carlow I am proud to be part of the Carlow organisation, but thats enough self promotion from me ;)
    On the matter of the email I take your point so if anyone wants to contact me feel free to send me a PM

I think I remember alright (dont remember the surname bit mind you)
    I understand a lot of the anger aimed at my party but there are plenty like me in the party who want to improve our local community and we have great people in the grassroots here in Carlow I am proud to be part of the Carlow organisation, but thats enough self promotion from me ;)
    On the matter of the email I take your point so if anyone wants to contact me feel free to send me a PM

i really want many of you to call to the door, and answer some honest questions for me....

i really want many of you to call to the door, and answer some honest questions for me....
    I am trying my best to get to as many houses as I can on the evenings I can get off work but I managed to get two weeks unpaid leave starting this sat so I will be out every night from then.
    I hope I will get to your door and I wont be spouting any bull when I do, I have a number of issues locally that I want resolved and I have come across more on my canvass that are shocking to say the least

I am trying my best to get to as many houses as I can on the evenings I can get off work but I managed to get two weeks unpaid leave starting this sat so I will be out every night from then.
    I hope I will get to your door and I wont be spouting any bull when I do, I have a number of issues locally that I want resolved and I have come across more on my canvass that are shocking to say the least

i hope to see you so, cos of the 2 canditates that did call, they were opposed to what i said, but it will be happening soon

Hugh if this is your first time to run for elections in Carlow local elections, I hope you have your eyes wide open if you do get elected (unlikely given your party choice).

I had a new FF candidate call to my door and I gave her a little lesson in what happens in the council that affects my area and she was shocked and even laughed at some of what I said but I had facts to back them up, she left a little disillusioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

testicle wrote: »
    I'll vote for this one, and hope to jaysus she gets new election posters.

attachment.php?entid=80300&stc=1&d=1242723253
    Villain wrote: »
    I wouldn't vote for Fianna Fail even if scarpeolie.jpg was running for them:
    Butch09 wrote: »
    all these lads are the same. a pack of good for nothing wasters, promis the sun moon and stars and give nothing. waste of time and money!!!!

Lads i know you mean it in light hearted banter and all but you have already been asked to stick to saying who you are voting for and why. Can you please just stick to the topic at hand and make informed opinionated posts.

Regards
    Dan

Villain wrote: »
    Hugh if this is your first time to run for elections in Carlow local elections, I hope you have your eyes wide open if you do get elected (unlikely given your party choice).

I had a new FF candidate call to my door and I gave her a little lesson in what happens in the council that affects my area and she was shocked and even laughed at some of what I said but I had facts to back them up, she left a little disillusioned
    Oh Im fully aware of the way the council works so my eyes will be open alright. As for my party of choice there is one thing that people seem to forget and its this.....
    Fine Gael with the help of labour hold the balance of power in Carlow Councils and have for as long as I can remember but they are the ones going around Carlow talking about the need for change its almost laughable

Oh don't get me wrong Hugh I wasn't saying FG are any better than FF, I would Tar them both with the same brush.

But the fact remains that FF are currently taking decisions that are just plainly wrong and no matter what you say about local elections been about the candidate rather the party, that imo is only the case with Independents as to be a member of party in my mind means you support that party and its decisions.

Take one example, the case of the Cervical Cancer Vaccine, that was a FF decision so whether you like it not you have supported that decision by choosing to run for that party, I honestly don't know how anyone could support that.

FG likewise when Noonan was Health Minsiter made seriously bad decisions in relation to Brigid McCole and Hep C, what we need in this state is a shift from the normal accepted choice of either FG or FF

Evening all,

Just a few thoughts and observations on the up-coming elections.

Can anyone explain why there are County Carlow Council elections, also Carlow Town council and Bagnelstown Town council elections?

The Bagnelstown Town council is particularly mystifying(to me most things are) but Bagnelstown population at 2,532 is just over 500 smaller than Tullows. Bagnelstown elects nine Councillors to its Town council as does Carlow Town with five times the population.

In Tullow there are only six candidates standing for election for four seats. So whether people like it or not, with three Fine Gael candidates surely going to dilute the vote, Fianna Fail are assured of one and perhaps two seats. According to County Carlows website Tullow councillor John Pender is listed as a Public Representative. Should it not also say that he has a painting and decorating business. I only know this as I invited him to leave my house four years ago due to the nature of his workmanship.

For a party that at present is in coalition in Dail Eireann and with a T.D. from this constituency there is one green councillor standing for election in Borris and no other candidates in the other constituencies. Despite the fact that I would not be voting for them I feel this reflects badly on them as a party.

I also notice in The Ireland East constituency for the Euro-Elections they have no candidate standing despite the fact that they had a sitting M.E.P. up to the 2004 election and Mary White polled over 25,000 1st preference votes in the 2004 election.

In Borris there are four seats being contested. As I stated in a previous post I will not be voting for Fianna Fail or the Greens. That leaves me with one Labour and two Fine Gael candidates. Could any one tell me if the two Independents, Billy Nolan and Charlie Murphy are real Independents or members of the wider Fianna Fail family?

Finally I'm a postal voter as I work abroad a lot. I found out today that when my postal ballot arrives I have to go in person to Carlow Garda station to have my I.D. scrutinised as being valid. Surely this defeats the purpose of the postal vote for certain people. It better arrive before the 27th as I'm gone from the 28th of May for five weeks.

Observations over. I need to lie down now.

• Advertisement

Pender is employed as M.J. Nolan's Pariamentary Handler, so he's a full time politician really

Advertisement