Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sisco14

I had my driving assessment at 9.30, which lasted a little over an hour, in phibsboro, then I had to go to DB HQ on oconnell street for the interview, was left waiting for bout half an hour and interview lasted bout 20-30 mins. Doesn't really matter if your doing it in rush hour, traffic is still very heavy anyway.
    Like me I hadnt done an interview in a no. Of years but it's not to bad!
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MaciG

HI

What kinds of shifts are there in Dublin Bus? For example, If I was live in the suburb ( for example: Ashbourne) It would be possible to get to the garage by bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

MaciG wrote: »
    HI

What kinds of shifts are there in Dublin Bus? For example, If I was live in the suburb ( for example: Ashbourne) It would be possible to get to the garage by bus?

You would be doing all late untill they move you to 5day shift.

All depends what garage you would be in and what time last bus goes to get you home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

All depends what garage you would be in and what time last bus goes to get you home

@punisher5112
    Hi.
    I understand it'll be lates and weekends if I got a position but what time does a late shift start or does that depend on the garage as well? 3pm 4pm 5pm?

Thank you! :) I suppose there are not two similar shifts, because there are lots of different route, but could you define me one of average shift? What I want to know. How long does it take? How many is the concrete driving time and a break time in the shift? Does the brakes are paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Some late duties start as early as 3 o'clock and others could start as late as 8 o'clock. These really late starts would have no official break, but you would easily make enough time between journeys to have a coffee. You get paid 7 hrs 38 per day, regardless of the length of the duty, but obviously if some are shorter, then others will be longer in order to average out your hours.

Just got job offer woohoo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Sisco14 wrote: »

Excellent, well done. Enjoy. Where would you hope to be based?

txs. anywhere except clontarf, and that's because its a little further away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 threegreen

Well done. So c'mon, tips for driving assessment and interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Stonemad2012

what sort of questions did they ask at the interview? i have my driving assessment and interview on 2nd of march, i am a little nervous about the interview

what sort of questions did they ask at the interview? i have my driving assessment and interview on 2nd of march, i am a little nervous about the interview

I treated the driving assessment as if I was doing my test, it is an automatic gearbox so that makes it much easier, my biggest problem when I took lessons was gear changes, if your not used to an automatic try and get a bit if practice (even if it's in a car) it does take a little bit of getting used to it if you have been using a manual gearbox for years. Use your mirrors, mind the cyclists, they sneak up on you very easily, just tink safety of other road users and don't forget your passengers so no harsh braking or accelerating, plenty of planning ahead.

I wasn't looking forward to the interview either, but it wasn't to bad, just do a bit of research on DB, also read the letter they sent you, it is a competency based interview so you have the basics of what questions they will ask, I read the competencies and and answered them, remember safety is high on their list (for both passengers and drivers) which is very good. They also might ask about how you handle stress, (and don't say you don't get stressed, everybody gets stressed, it's how you handle it is the important part)
    I hope this helps, and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 blackduck38

Hi. At the driving assessment do they help you with walk around checks? for ex. they show you the buttons for all lights and someone check is the brake lights and the signals work proper? Do they show you that the paper work for that bus it is ok? If something bad happen the driver is full responsible for everything, that is not a school bus and the drivers are fully legally to drive on the road. It is sound stupid the questions but they need safety driving and a driver need to be safety. Do they tell you before if you will turn to the left or right at the next crossroad? it is just the attender driver and the inspector or they take 2 or 3 drivers attenders? Do the inspector talk with you? For ex ask you why did you did that or you tell him why did you do that?(I didn't drive in Dublin and i don't know the streets to well. If i need to turn to left on a single lane road from 2 lanes road i would stay before the turning in the middle of the lanes, because the car that turn left will not have space to go inside and the car that go in the front will not stay in my angle turning from the back of the bus.) I see that the inspector don't have a place next to you same like coaches bus schools and what the driver see is diffrent from what the inspector see. If he do not have a monitor that show to him the cameras. I ask some person and some of them did the assessment on the normal bus.
    At the interview i need to bring tow references letters or just give them the no and the name from my telephone contacts and they will note the no.? Did some of you give them one no from Ireland and the second no. from other country? I didn't work like a driver in Ireland so I thing it is normal to give them the no. of the last place of working and a second no from a job where i was a bus driver. I found it more relevant then what i did in Dublin.
    Hope i didn't disturb nobody with my questions.
    Sorry for my English and if i didn't express myself proper.
    Have a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi. At the driving assessment do they help you with walk around checks? for ex. they show you the buttons for all lights and someone check is the brake lights and the signals work proper? Do they show you that the paper work for that bus it is ok? If something bad happen the driver is full responsible for everything, that is not a school bus and the drivers are fully legally to drive on the road. It is sound stupid the questions but they need safety driving and a driver need to be safety. Do they tell you before if you will turn to the left or right at the next crossroad? it is just the attender driver and the inspector or they take 2 or 3 drivers attenders? Do the inspector talk with you? For ex ask you why did you did that or you tell him why did you do that?(I didn't drive in Dublin and i don't know the streets to well. If i need to turn to left on a single lane road from 2 lanes road i would stay before the turning in the middle of the lanes, because the car that turn left will not have space to go inside and the car that go in the front will not stay in my angle turning from the back of the bus.) I see that the inspector don't have a place next to you same like coaches bus schools and what the driver see is diffrent from what the inspector see. If he do not have a monitor that show to him the cameras. I ask some person and some of them did the assessment on the normal bus.
    At the interview i need to bring tow references letters or just give them the no and the name from my telephone contacts and they will note the no.? Did some of you give them one no from Ireland and the second no. from other country? I didn't work like a driver in Ireland so I thing it is normal to give them the no. of the last place of working and a second no from a job where i was a bus driver. I found it more relevant then what i did in Dublin.
    Hope i didn't disturb nobody with my questions.
    Sorry for my English and if i didn't express myself proper.
    Have a good night.

Put a few spaces in there very difficult to read.

The 1st bus check is simple you check lights work inside out, floors ok, no damage, bells work, ramp, fire extinguisher fitted, break glass gamer, breakdown triangle, lots of stuff to check but this will be all part of your training.

If a lights goes while your on the road it is ok as long as it was working when you left. If for example all lights fail such as indicators then get bus replaced.

You have nothing to be stressing over.

Hello blackduck38!

I think you shouldn't worry about the driving assessment, because the safety is the most important thing, so if you drive a little bit slower than the another drivers, it won't be the problem.
    For instance, as I am foreigner I much more worried about if my english knowledge will be enough or not for a work. :)

Thanks to all!

I did pass the driving assessment. I try to change my last post, but it didn't change.

MaciG if you know to tell your life story in English I think it will be ok. Try to use the words that you know better.

Did know someone if the garda vetting show all the driver recorders from his country even when you didn't make any mistake for the last 2 years?

I suppose I'm not the only driver with few over speed limit :)

Thanks!!!!

I passed my driving assessment today and had my interview straight after. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous because i was bricking it. But it wasn't as bad as I thought. A bit of advice to anyone due to do their driving assessment,just treat it like your driving test and as for the interview think SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!! I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post your imput helped me a lot. I wish you all the very best of luck.

I passed my driving assessment today and had my interview straight after. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous because i was bricking it. But it wasn't as bad as I thought. A bit of advice to anyone due to do their driving assessment,just treat it like your driving test and as for the interview think SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!! I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post your input helped me a lot. I wish you all the very best of luck.

If anyone is due to do driving assessment and interview and need any additional information feel free to private message me. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

I also had driving assessment and interview yesterday. The training driver was as sound as a pound, very nice and very chatty. The test itself is not too bad, just take it nice and slow and use your head. As for the interview, just read up a little on the company bye laws and you'll be ok. Hope to hear soon, the waiting is the killer part.

• Advertisement

threegreen wrote: »
    As for the interview, just read up a little on the company bye laws and you'll be ok.

What kinds of low do you mean? I found one on the DublinBus website but I cannot share link this forum yet :S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

MaciG wrote: »
    What kinds of low do you mean? I found one on the DublinBus website but I cannot share link this forum yet :S

Here is the bye laws contents page: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/
    For the detailed bye laws click the hyperlinks at the bottom of the page.

got a phone call the day after the interview to attend a medical, happy days!

got a phone call the day after the interview to attend a medical, happy days!

That was quick. Done my driving and interview on Tuesday, still no word, I'm praying.

Hope the medical goes well for you and good luck.

You might hear something today, the HR department aren't the quickest or the most organised group (in my experience with dealing with them), if you passed the driving test and interview went ok you should be good!!
    Does anyone know how many drivers they are taking on? I'm just curious as they are still advertising for drivers, or are they having trouble getting drivers?

You might hear something today, the HR department aren't the quickest or the most organised group (in my experience with dealing with them), if you passed the driving test and interview went ok you should be good!!
    Does anyone know how many drivers they are taking on? I'm just curious as they are still advertising for drivers, or are they having trouble getting drivers?
    Thanks for that. Yeah drive went well and I think I done ok with interview too, it's just getting a yay or neigh. Do they do it by phone? ?
    I've been told they are looking for an extra 75 drivers in total, they must have a full quota by now!!

Thanks for that. Yeah drive went well and I think I done ok with interview too, it's just getting a yay or neigh. Do they do it by phone? ?
    I've been told they are looking for an extra 75 drivers in total, they must have a full quota by now!!

Yes I know the hardest part is waiting,it was a couple of days after interview I got a call for medical, then 2 weeks went bye before I heard again, always checking my phone, yes they will ring at this stage.
    I would have thought they would be filled by now, but they are still advertising positions, that's nearly 3 months.

Yes I know the hardest part is waiting,it was a couple of days after interview I got a call for medical, then 2 weeks went bye before I heard again, always checking my phone, yes they will ring at this stage.
    I would have thought they would be filled by now, but they are still advertising positions, that's nearly 3 months.

I reckon they are being very picky and they can afford to be because of the amount of applications. When I done my appitude there was 2 full classrooms full.

I reckon they are being very picky and they can afford to be because of the amount of applications. When I done my appitude the was 2 full classrooms full.
    I'm not sure about them being very picky, in saying that they will still have be carefull who they hire, my wife works in HR reckons if they are filling about 75 positions, they would need at least 600 applications to begin with (if not more), I just found it curious they are still advertising positions. I heard numbers as high as 150 drivers being hired, that sounds a lot of drivers to me.

• Advertisement

Hi. Did someone know the adress of the clinic where is the medical test? I was on the road and i didn't understand well the adress. I know it is 98 malbourne Dublin 1. Im sure i didn't understand the name of the street. Thanks and good luck to all.

Advertisement