Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Filter Wrench

• 14-02-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

I have a toyota Avensis 2006 on it has a paper filter in an aluminium houseing I need to get the wrench to remove it has I think about 14 flutes ie little sides and I think it is between 75 and 80mm accross where would I get one other than a main dealer. I see one on E-Bay they are 14 sided and are 77-78mm are these suitable:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I am not sure about your car, but I got mine from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I am not sure about your car, but I got mine from Amazon.

I looked on amazon but they have about 5 different sizes anyone koow what size the avenis take

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I highly recommend the strap-type oil filter wrenches for what it's worth.

They'll fit various different sizes of filter and they have worked for me when all else failed.

You can get them in most motor factors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Never needed an oil wrench, except for one or two occasions. They twist off easily enough if you have good access.
    Have done service to all my own cars and found that wrenches tend to deform the filter, not grip, chain ones can rip it.
    But if you can get your hands around it and apply steady pressure (don't yank it), 99% of the time they come off.
    Some people apparently spear the filter with a screwdriver and use that as a lever, not recommended, too messy.
    If an oil filter doesn't come off by hand it was probably screwed on with too much force. This is where doing your own servicing helps, never twist the filter on using brute force, because they tend to sit tighter at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a few different types, a nylon webbing strap type that can use 3/8 and 1/2 " drives or a 17mm spanner.
    similar to the one below but double ended drive.

ak640.jpg
    A steel strap typeak645.jpg

and 3 different Boa constrictors.
    Aluminium and plastic
    41PZ%2BcDiJhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

They twist off easily enough if you have good access.
    Have done service to all my own cars

The second bit is why the first bit :)

You might say that sometimes it takes a special kind of tool to do the job if it was done the last time by, well... a special kind of tool :D

firefly08 wrote: »
    The second bit is why the first bit :)

You might say that sometimes it takes a special kind of tool to do the job if it was done the last time by, well... a special kind of tool :D

Too true, same applies to spark plugs and wheel nuts, some people see it as a challenge of just how tight they can get it with the longest extension bar they have and jumping up and down on it.
    That's why oil filters should only ever be tightened by hand.;)

Too true, same applies to spark plugs and wheel nuts, some people see it as a challenge of just how tight they can get it with the longest extension bar they have and jumping up and down on it.
    That's why oil filters should only ever be tightened by hand.;)
    I agree but some filters are very difficult to get at properly.
    My Avensis 2C-TE has the filter at the rear of the engine horizontally under the turbo. Very difficult to get at and the filter has a large diameter which makes it almost impossible to get a grip on with my hand.
    I contrast this with the Landcruisers 1KZ-TE that has a small oil catch tray so as the filter drains it allows the oil from the filter to drain through a small pipe into the same oil pan as the sump oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CJhaughey wrote: »
    My Avensis 2C-TE has the filter at the rear of the engine horizontally under the turbo. Very difficult to get at and the filter has a large diameter which makes it almost impossible to get a grip on with my hand.

I actually use a rubber glove when tightening the filter on mine. Use an oil filter pliers at an angle to take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Never needed an oil wrench, except for one or two occasions. They twist off easily enough if you have good access.
    Have done service to all my own cars and found that wrenches tend to deform the filter, not grip, chain ones can rip it.
    But if you can get your hands around it and apply steady pressure (don't yank it), 99% of the time they come off.
    Some people apparently spear the filter with a screwdriver and use that as a lever, not recommended, too messy.
    If an oil filter doesn't come off by hand it was probably screwed on with too much force. This is where doing your own servicing helps, never twist the filter on using brute force, because they tend to sit tighter at the end.

Had one come loose though that was hand tightened, so I always tighten them with a wrench now, I have a selection of wrenches including the nylon strap type, the metal strap , and the metal dome cover type.

• Advertisement

I contrast this with the Landcruisers 1KZ-TE that has a small oil catch tray so as the filter drains it allows the oil from the filter to drain through a small pipe into the same oil pan as the sump oil!

Nice feature on the Landcruiser.
    My CMax has the oil filter at the back of the engine, under inlet manifold, etc...
    I have to jack the car up, put axle stands under it, undo a handful of screws to get the sub tray out, crawl under it and undo the oilfilter that is directly over my face. Of course it hasn't got a catch tray.
    Wrench wouldn't make a difference.:D
    The MX5 has the engine longitudinal, oil filter sits on driver's side, just reach under the inlet manifold and undo. Lot to be said for RWD cars in that matter!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I actually use a rubber glove when tightening the filter on mine. Use an oil filter pliers at an angle to take it off.
    How do you tighten it with a rubber glove? :D
    Just kidding I did the same with it last service. Used the strap wrench to take it off though with a medium extension on ratchet.

lomb wrote: »
    Had one come loose though that was hand tightened, so I always tighten them with a wrench now, I have a selection of wrenches including the nylon strap type, the metal strap , and the metal dome cover type.

Never had one come undone.
    What did happen to me with her MX5 is, drain oil, remove filter, refill, start car, zero oil pressure.
    Left it idle, nothing, give it a tiny blip of the throttle, zero.
    Had forgotten to attach new oil filter, so as the engine idled and especially as I revved it, it vomited all the oil back out onto the garage floor.
    So had to attach oil filter and refill with more oil.
    And that was a week after I accidentally brought five liters of brand new oil to the dump that I had decanted from a 25 liter drum into an old oil container for easier pouring.
    The one oil change took nearly 15 liters of oil!:eek:

How do you tighten it with a rubber glove? :D
    Just kidding I did the same with it last service. Used the strap wrench to take it off though with a medium extension on ratchet.

Any idea where the pollen filter is, I have the feeling it's in the drivers footwell somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

TIP I saw years ago - instead of the traditional 'wetting' of the sealing rubber ring on spin -on oil and diesel filters using the respective fluid, carefully coat the seat surfaces with some general automotive grease, neatly wiped off by finger and then firmly hand tightened as suggested.
    ( of course before naysayers jump in ... dont let gobs of grease get inside the active filter area , I am saying just a finger coat on the rubber ring )

Rest assured, doesn't matter 6 month or 6 years later that filter will loosen off first time.

lomb wrote: »

Had one come loose on my mothers 323 1.6, which also is a pain to get at at the back of the engine from underneath.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any idea where the pollen filter is, I have the feeling it's in the drivers footwell somewhere?
    Just cleaned mine this week.
    To the left of drivers footrest is a flap of carpet with studs holding it to the centre console, remove the mushrooms and pull the flap down.
    At the front of the console just behind the bulkhead you will see a small rectangular flap with two tabs, squeeze them in and pull the lid out.
    You will see two tabs with foam covering them.
    The bottom filter pulls straight out horizontally and the top filter pulls down and then out.
    Mine were predictably filthy and I scrubbed the filter with a toothbrush and some washing up liquid several times until the material was clean.
    Until I can get new ones this will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

I have a toyota Avensis 2006 on it has a paper filter in an aluminium houseing I need to get the wrench to remove it has I think about 14 flutes ie little sides and I think it is between 75 and 80mm accross where would I get one other than a main dealer. I see one on E-Bay they are 14 sided and are 77-78mm are these suitable:cool:

Farmer Pudsey....
    What you need is a 65mm cup socket with 14 flutes (ebay link below) a good motor factors should have them but make sure correct size as theirs various sizes & note that most are for use with a 3/8" drive socket wrench! [URL="mhtml:{852A73D8-D91D-4EF6-A2D8-27794790D1DA}mid://00000421/!x-usc:http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330677926434&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:1123"]http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330677926434&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:1123[/URL] :)

Toyota 09228-06501 and 09228-06500-02
    Specifically designed for Japanese vehicles including Suzuki, Daihatsu, Subaru, Mazda, Lexus and Toyota.

• Cup style oil filter wrench.
    • 65mm x 14 Flutes.
    • Suitable for most modern Japanese vehicles.
    • Removes paper filter without damaging the filter housing.
    • 3/8"Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

megafan wrote: »
    Toyota 09228-06501 and 09228-06500-02
    Specifically designed for Japanese vehicles including Suzuki, Daihatsu, Subaru, Mazda, Lexus and Toyota.

• Cup style oil filter wrench.
    • 65mm x 14 Flutes.
    • Suitable for most modern Japanese vehicles.
    • Removes paper filter without damaging the filter housing.
    • 3/8"Drive.
    I have seen these however I have measured the Filter housing with a steel rulers and it seems to be in the 70-80mm range and 14 flutes I will have to get a vernier callipers.

• Advertisement

I have seen these however I have measured the Filter housing with a steel rulers and it seems to be in the 70-80mm range and 14 flutes I will have to get a vernier callipers.

Farmer Pudsey

For what it's worth I have a 2009 2LT diesel Avensis & 65mm & 14 flutes fits... & as far as i know they use the same paper element (I'm not perfect but hope some help!)

[URL="mhtml:{852A73D8-D91D-4EF6-A2D8-27794790D1DA}mid://00000418/!x-usc:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSWn2SMrNfI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSWn2SMrNfI[/URL] & link to utube clip

Just cleaned mine this week.
    To the left of drivers footrest is a flap of carpet with studs holding it to the centre console, remove the mushrooms and pull the flap down.
    At the front of the console just behind the bulkhead you will see a small rectangular flap with two tabs, squeeze them in and pull the lid out.
    You will see two tabs with foam covering them.
    The bottom filter pulls straight out horizontally and the top filter pulls down and then out.
    Mine were predictably filthy and I scrubbed the filter with a toothbrush and some washing up liquid several times until the material was clean.
    Until I can get new ones this will do.

Thanks, 'twas maggotty, just left it without a filter afterwards.

Advertisement