Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E320 CDI glow plug light stays on intermittently.

• 23-10-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

I've a lend of an '02 Merc E320 cdi while my own car is still being fixed. When I turn on the ignition the glow plug light comes on for a few seconds, then goes off as normal. The cars starts every time after a second or two of cranking and seems to run fine but occasionally the glow plug light comes on again while it's running. Sometimes it goes out again after a few minutes driving but other times it stays on.

I've no manual for the car so I've no idea what it's trying to tell me. Any ideas?

Also, I discovered in the rain today that if I put the foot down from 20-30mph that the back end squirms about and the traction control light starts blinking. I'm not talking about flooring it, just giving it a bit more beans than normal relaxed driving, and on a straight road too! Do these big old buses push enough torque through the autobox to break traction in 2nd or 3rd normally? Or is this 140k mile model in dire need of a suspension overhaul? I haven't checked pressures yet but the tyres are name brand, Michelins I think, with a good 2mm left on them.

I must say, while not a terribly clean example, I'm pretty impressed with the big Merc for comfort (as you'd expect), economy and manouverability.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Nobody hazard a guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just a guess, but with 510Nm torque going to the rear wheels in rain and only 2mm thread left I would not be at all surprised to get wheel spin in second and third.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Glow plug light stays on when there's a problem with one or more of them (glow plugs). When one goes the rest will soon follow, change a full set would be my opinion. Parts are not too expensive and should be ready available OEM outside main dealers.

Get it looked at pronto as the CDI glow plugs have tendency of snapping in half upon removal if left in for too long once they have stopped working. Soot goes in between the head and the tips and locks them in place. Key is patience and plenty of penetrating fluid. If one snaps it's cylinder head off the block to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

samih wrote: »
    Glow plug light stays on when there's a problem with one or more of them (glow plugs). When one goes the rest will soon follow, change a full set would be my opinion. Parts are not too expensive and should be ready available OEM outside main dealers.

Get it looked at pronto as the CDI glow plugs have tendency of snapping in half upon removal if left in for too long once they have stopped working. Soot goes in between the head and the tips and locks them in place. Key is patience and plenty of penetrating fluid. If one snaps it's cylinder head off the block to repair.

All the info you want is here http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80809&highlight=w210+glow+plug

Cheapest place i know of for spark plugs and glow plugs is here http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/ngk-glow-plugs-300-c.asp

Advertisement