Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interviewers on Luas?

• 14-09-2006 4:11pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are there RPA employed people doing interviews on the Luas?

Last night I seen this fellow with a RPA reflective vest and a clip board with something like “red line onboard survey.

Got on board at Jervis just after 11pm, the person in question spent that time chatting up a woman at least until I got off at Heuston. The way he did it was in what many Irish people might call sleazy. Just the line of questions and the arm edging around here etc. Not that it really matters to my point, both looked to an extent and sounded like they originally came from maybe somewhere in Europe, but I couldn’t put a finger on it. She was didn’t seam to mind, again not that it matters to my points….

It’s not something I really have a problem with, but… do the RPA actually do interviews at this time? Is this really the kind of behaviour someone working for a State body? Shouldn’t there be two people?

Even if this person was actually working for the RPA, this kind of practice (one person, time of night) leaves it open for someone with improper intentions to copy it if they could get their hands on a clip board and RPA vest.

(I obviously have too much time on my hands)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

monument wrote:
    do the RPA actually do interviews at this time?
    I can't answer your main question but I would imagine that if they did do questionaires, it would be important to survey passengers travelling at various times during the provision of the service. Otherwise it may not be accurate reflection. (Depends on the question though - maybe they related to late night service only).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its tendered out as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭green_onions

I'm involved in the surveys and it's a company who got the contract from the RPA. It's done a couple times a year, basically to establish travel patterns and the level of usage of the system. It's carried out over an entire day on 3 seperate days to get the correct data.

As for the fella, maybe he knew her? Not all of them have RPA vests either, most have ones with Travel Destination Survey on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm involved in the surveys and it's a company who got the contract from the RPA. It's done a couple times a year, basically to establish travel patterns and the level of usage of the system. It's carried out over an entire day on 3 seperate days to get the correct data.

Out of interest, could you tell us a bit more about how the data is collected? How people (passengers) are chosen? How long should the survey take etc?

As for the fella, maybe he knew her?

Maybe, but it did not sound like it. If he knew her or not, again, is it the kind of behaviour someone working (even indirectly) for a State body should be engaged in while on the job with ‘RPA’ on their back?

Not all of them have RPA vests either, most have ones with Travel Destination Survey on it.

I seen a few of them today with something like that on the front and RPA on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭green_onions

monument wrote:
    Out of interest, could you tell us a bit more about how the data is collected? How people (passengers) are chosen? How long should the survey take etc?

Basically the surveyors ask as many people on the the trams as they can, there is no particular group of people that they have to ask. Each surveyor asks people that get on at each stop where they're going on that particular tram and do an overall count of how many get on at each stop. I can't really go into too much detail because I'm not at liberty to say. (as ****e as that last bit sounds, it's true)

monument wrote:
    Maybe, but it did not sound like it. If he knew her or not, again, is it the kind of behaviour someone working (even indirectly) for a State body should be engaged in while on the job with ‘RPA’ on their back?

I take your point and I guess really if he was talking talking in such a way then he probably should not have been while carrying out the survey. I mean I've often bumped into friends while doing it and had a quick few words but you don't stand there having a 10 min conversation about what you got up to last night or whatever, because you should be concentrating on carrying out the survey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement