Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landcruiser 7 seat passenger reg change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I was also wondering what kind of money you'd expect to pay on top of your purchase price to get the conversion completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 strange john

vibe666 wrote: »
    I was also wondering what kind of money you'd expect to pay on top of your purchase price to get the conversion completed?

I don't know anything about importing one, but I did the work myself and the only costs were the certification at €150+vat and the weighbridge which was €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Thanks all...a relation got the work done on the LC in past few days, paperwork signed off...am waiting with bated breath as to whether this lot will hold up when he goes to tax it...seems that can be a stumbling block.
    Well, after 3 attempts to tax it, finally got there...VAT number required, more expensive insurance required...they really don't want to see anyone doing this, your perseverance will be tested.The crowd in the tax office were as unhelpful as humanly possible...Limerick it was...But the savings are substantial, so take your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jizzyboner

I certify these conversions, Its above board and was brought about by Ireland having to fall in line with the EU's definition of a commercial vehicle (first exploited by Land Rover with their Discovery "Utility") and no, range Rover Vogues won't qualify as they don't achieve the required measurements.

Hi gofaster
    Just remembered seeing a few weeks ago a Range Rover Vogue being sold by Karl Goodwin Motors in Dublin, and they made a big deal about it being cheap tax. Even had a photo of the tax disk and it was €333 for the year. I'm pretty sure it was a 07/08 TDV8, but it's sold now. It was definitely 5 seats also.

Someone must have found a way to get around the official rules if it doesn't officially qualify. No idea how though.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 30 brandonw123

I checked my land rover discovery 1 today.
    The door size is about 1260x 1160 so that is ok.
    The cargo area is more than 30% of wheelbase if measured on the floor from the rear of the middle seats to the boot door.
    However the middle seats are sloped & if you measure from the top of the seat, the figure in mm is less than 30%

Does anyone know if it is ok to take the floor measurement ?
    Do you measure cargo area with the rear door closed or open ( I.e. is the width of the door included as part of the cargo area or excluded )?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's definitely to the inside face of the door and I suspect it will be from the rear of the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Its from the furthest point back on the rear seats to the closest point of the rear door opening.

Thanks for the replies.
    Is is permitted to straighten the middle seats so that the 30% is achieved.
    It is only about 60mm to straighten?

Thanks for the replies.
    Is is permitted to straighten the middle seats so that the 30% is achieved.
    It is only about 60mm to straighten?

Manufacturers specifications can't be altered and there is a set minimum angle for the seat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's a real PITA. :(

I'd love a nice N1 commercial Supercharged 4.2L V8 Vogue SE with an LPG conversion! :D

I've heard they're thinking of making a slightly longer RR soon though, so one day, you never know. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Gofaster,
    I guess I am goosed so on the disco 1.
    "O for an extra 2 inches " !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Thanks Gofaster,
    I guess I am goosed so on the disco 1.
    "O for an extra 2 inches " !!!!

What about taking out the 2 back seats - presuming its a seven seater, and turning it into a 5 seater? Surely the Kuga does meet the % requirement but gets away with it by reducing from 5 to 4 seats?

It is a 7 seater currently.
    Those dimensions are with removing the last row of seats giving a 5 seater.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

The Discovery 2 is longer in the boot area than the Disco 1 . . .

Are any large estate cars big enough to do this with too? I'm thinking Volvo xc70 or an e class merc estate. 30% of the wheelbase has to be the rear cargo area. Anyone know of anything that could fit the bill?

No estate car I've measured(5 series tourings, E class Mercs, XC70/90's) has met the boot door area requirements, a lot of people carriers will meet the measurements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Anybody know if it is possible to claim back some of the VAT on a converted crewcab, as its commercial now?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I've just taxed mine today after doing the work myself. There was no issue. My landcruiser is now a category N1 vehicle, which is the new designation for light (ie under 3500 kg) goods vehicles.

Did you change your insurance from private to commercial or did your insurance allow you to insure the category N1 with private insurance with the policy addition to carry goods in connection with your trade or profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markw81

I have 00 Mercedes ml 270 that I was going to covert to commercial. But this would be a better way for me the back door has the size but is there a enough size in the back with seats in it??
    Any help would be great.

kuro2k wrote: »
    Did you change your insurance from private to commercial or did your insurance allow you to insure the category N1 with private insurance with the policy addition to carry goods in connection with your trade or profession?

Changed it to commercial. It's for farm use so insured with FBD at a reasonable level. I hear standard commercial insurance can be pricier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Changed it to commercial. It's for farm use so insured with FBD at a reasonable level. I hear standard commercial insurance can be pricier.

Thanks, spoke with my insurance company yesterday (axa). Once I change classification from M1 to N1 I can keep private insurance and add carriage of goods for profession or trade

Axa will not insure it commercially with the rear seats, I'm converting a 96 3rd gen Hilux Surf

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Any one know how to measure area of aperture for vehicles with two or more rows of seats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Read back up the thread, the dimensions are in earlier posts.

101sean wrote: »
    Read back up the thread, the dimensions are in earlier posts.

I did , I might of missed it ! But I think it only gives the size of aperture as over 12000 , I would like to know Which measurements are used to get this

ubs69 wrote: »
    I did , I might of missed it ! But I think it only gives the size of aperture as over 12000 , I would like to know Which measurements are used to get this

Sorry should be 12800 cm2

Is it just a case of measuring the opening at rear cm 2 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pp007

Finally done! My HiluxSurf '96 is officially a CrewCab.
    It cost some money and a lot of patience.

First of all thanks to 'strange_john' for his suggestion about certified engineer.
    So how it worked in my case? In order how I did it.

- Weight bridge at 'Roadstone' in Finglas (location: driving form city N2 pass M50 and turn first left and then left) cost: 30euro
    - Certified engineer report 'Devine Coaches' in Navan (location: Garlow Cross, Lismullen, south of Navan) cost: 200euro
    - DOE now CVRT disk at 'Kavanagh test centre' in Duleek(location: R152 from Duleek to Drogheda) cost: 115euro
    (test center do not give disk, it's issued by CVRT and they issue it for 6months, I've call them and ask for a 12months as I was previously owner of the car and it is just change of class, no problem at all)
    - Commercial insurance (that was requirement from Ballymun MotorTax as I'm not a VAT registered) so I get the best offer form insuremyvan.ie - cost: 480euro
    - Form 111A stamp at Garda next to tax office.
    - Tax office, Ballymun. All documents (weight doc., eng. cert. and report., log book, insurance, form 111 and 111a) and all sorted in less than 10min. Cost: 333euro

:)

Did you do test 48 ! , and who changed you log book to crewcab

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pp007

ubs69 wrote: »
    Did you do test 48 ! , and who changed you log book to crewcab

A result of test 48 is eng. cert. of conversion (stamped form 'VRTCONV'), so it has to be done.
    Logbook submitted with all documents in motor tax office. After three days received back new one.

• Advertisement

pp007 wrote: »
    A result of test 48 is eng. cert. of conversion (stamped form 'VRTCONV'), so it has to be done.
    Logbook submitted with all documents in motor tax office. After three days received back new one.

I think test 48 is seperate to conversion form , it's 16 pages of measurements And dimensions ! Have you done it ?

Advertisement