Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2700s being withdrawn, possibly sold off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2707/08 at Manulla Junction this afternoon

BX 19 wrote: »
    The one on the DARTS is a bit weedy though.
    I seem to recall that the horn on the Mark 3 DVTs was the same as the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Karsini wrote: »
    I seem to recall that the horn on the Mark 3 DVTs was the same as the DART.

Sounds very like it all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Currently on a 22000 shuttle between Limk Jct and Limerick Colbert, is this the end of the 2700's already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Currently on a 22000 shuttle between Limk Jct and Limerick Colbert, is this the end of the 2700's already?

The majority of the 2700's are withdrawn! As there are more 22k's to go round it seems many of them are now on Limk Jctn-Ennis workings. No harm either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The majority of the 2700's are withdrawn! As there are more 22k's to go round it seems many of them are now on Limk Jctn-Ennis workings. No harm either.

I noticed a heap of them in Limk, I'm on a 2+1 2700 at the moment on the second leg of the journey to Gort. If they had problems with uncoupling and pass through safety issues could they not just block off the pass through between each carriage?

It seems an awful waste to have these trains scrapped after a such a mountain of work was put into some of them less than two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I noticed a heap of them in Limk, I'm on a 2+1 2700 at the moment on the second leg of the journey to Gort. If they had problems with uncoupling and pass through safety issues could they not just block off the pass through between each carriage?

Blocking off the gangway is a fire safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Blocking off the gangway is a fire safety risk.

Didn't stop them blocking off the bubble cars 2751 and 2753. Are they not fire safety risks? On a 2+1 2700 set as above, if there is a fire on the bubble unit there is no where else to go other than off as you can't get to the 2 car unit. So what. I don't think fire safety comes into it.

Didn't stop them blocking off the bubble cars 2751 and 2753. Are they not fire safety risks?

I'm referring to the gangways between two units running together. If one carriage needs to be evacuated, a blocked gangway prevents this. I'm not aware of units having run together with blocked gangways next to each others though if you have seen it, fair enough.

If they had problems with uncoupling and pass through safety issues could they not just block off the pass through between each carriage?

They did, and its not the pass through between each carriage just the gangway between sets.

The 2800s are now getting their gangways removed now as they are due for heavy overhaul but are not being replaced. Yet somehow the older 2600s still have theirs fitted.

• Advertisement

I'm referring to the gangways between two units running together. If one carriage needs to be evacuated, a blocked gangway prevents this. I'm not aware of units having run together with blocked gangways next to each others though if you have seen it, fair enough.

Happens all the time and even now. I just gave and example of a 3 car 2700 set. If there is a fire in 2751 or 2753 there is no way to get to the 2 car 2700 coupled to it.

Happens all the time and even now. I just gave and example of a 3 car 2700 set. If there is a fire in 2751 or 2753 there is no way to get to the 2 car 2700 coupled to it.

Fair enough if you seen it happen. I'd not fancy that!

Fair enough if you seen it happen. I'd not fancy that!

Run to da hills posted above that he was on one exact 2700 as above formation today.

2751 and 2753 have been like that for many years and the issue was never brought up. The only time it has is with the Mk3 gen vans converted for DD use as they have had their gangways removed during the mod work. The risk of a gen van having a serious/fatal fire is far greater than the small underfloor engines hung outside the main bodywork of a DMU.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so this means that 2 sets of 2 2700s can't be coupled together even with the replacement of the coupling system if it was possible to replace it?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

so this means that 2 sets of 2 2700s can't be coupled together even with the replacement of the coupling system if it was possible to replace it?

They can be coupled and still do run coupled, you just cant walk between the 2 sets.

They can be coupled and still do run coupled, you just cant walk between the 2 sets.

i don't see the point of removing the gangways, i understand their operating the 26 27 and 2800s as 2 cars but could the gangways be put back on if needs be? for example the 2700s being sold off?

i don't see the point of removing the gangways, i understand their operating the 26 27 and 2800s as 2 cars but could the gangways be put back on if needs be? for example the 2700s being sold off?

From what I have read on the IRN forums is that while the 27s have been locked off for many years the gangways were only removed when they were due heavy overhaul work and it was decided not to bother with them anymore as they were not used. The same has now been said of the 28s as they are replacing the 27s, their gangways are now being removed and plated over, crazy as they are still used. The 26s are 6-7 years older and still have theirs fitted. Unless they already had the heavy overhaul years ago and the gangways were left on and are not due again for a while. The 26 and 28 are mechanically the same and used to work in mixed formations years ago before all the 26s were sent to Cork. It the internal spec and windows that's the main difference.

The 27s if sold on will be for parts stripping. No one would ever use them, refit bogies, signaling equipment and radios. Too much work and effort.

The 27s if sold on will be for parts stripping. No one would ever use them, refit bogies, signaling equipment and radios. Too much work and effort.

i'd say your most lightly right but lets say they were bought to be put into service could the gangways be put back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what about that fantastic group who'll use them on the Waterford Rosslare line :pac::pac::pac:

i'd say your most lightly right but lets say they were bought to be put into service could the gangways be put back on?

I haven't had a close up look at a 27 since they had the gangways removed and plated up. I think though from photos I've seen that the covering plate is welded in place as apposed to bolted over. Some fixing points may have been sheared off to weld the plated in place. In short I don't think they can be refitted with the mod work IE did to them. I could be wrong though and it could be a relatively simple job to refit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2809/10 took over from the 2700s on the Ballina Branch today replacing 2709/10.Noted them on the 1503 Ballina-Manulla Shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

2701/2702 is sitting just outside Heuston, and there was a 2800 on the last Ballybrophy-Limerick service today. Gonna miss those 2700s, was on one last Thursday, and was quite a pleasant journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There is still a 2700 sets in service. They were operating from Waterford over the weekend.

The 27s are finished. The last service by the units was worked by 2715+24 on the 10th of August.

A tribute page with a brief history and tech specs of them are in the link below.
    http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/FeaturedGallery/2700-Class-DMU-Version-2/24053431_6HnnQt#!i=1700170052&k=CkNBZPW

2609 is also stopped. It received extensive mods along with 2716 so that they could work as a pair making them unique and are not compatible to work in multiple with any other units. Because of this, 2609 can no longer work with the other 2600s or 2800s or act as a spare if it were to be split from 2716, so it's the end of the road of the first 2600 unit too.

RIP 2700s and 2609 i would love to say it was a pleasure but where the 2700s are concerned it wasn't, good riddens. never traveled on a 2600 so can't comment. what was the story with the hybrid unit consisting of 2716 and 2609? were both those sets involved in accidents causing their partner carriges to be damaged/scrapped?

. what was the story with the hybrid unit consisting of 2716 and 2609? were both those sets involved in accidents causing their partner carriges to be damaged/scrapped?

IE ordered 17 2600s and 27 2700s. 1 car of each was held as a spare in case one was badly damaged. The spares were 2617 and 2726. (there was never a 2725). All odd numbers were M1 cars and the evens M2s. The M1s had the CAWS equipment fitted and there had to be an M1 in each two car set. 99% of the time they were M1+M2 formation but you could have M1+M1 but never an M2+M2 because of no CAWS onboard.

2609 was taken out of service in 1994 and swapped with 2613 which itself ended up as a spare from another swap earlier. 2716 was taken out of service in 2000 after it failed to stop in a siding at Connolly platform 7 and went through the buffer stops and wall. At the time 2723+2724 were in for maintenance and 24 was put with 15.(the last unit in service) and the spare 2726, was put with 2723.

IE decided in the mid 2000s to get some use out of the two spare DMUs so, 2609 and 2716 spent around 2 years getting work done to work together, spent a long stint in Scotland and many more months in Drogheda on return and finally entered service in mid 2007.

IE ordered 17 2600s and 27 2700s. 1 car of each was held as a spare in case one was badly damaged. The spares were 2617 and 2726. (there was never a 2725). All odd numbers were M1 cars and the evens M2s. The M1s had the CAWS equipment fitted and there had to be an M1 in each two car set. 99% of the time they were M1+M2 formation but you could have M1+M1 but never an M2+M2 because of no CAWS onboard.

2609 was taken out of service in 1994 and swapped with 2613 which itself ended up as a spare from another swap earlier. 2716 was taken out of service in 2000 after it failed to stop in a siding at Connolly platform 7 and went through the buffer stops and wall. At the time 2723+2724 were in for maintenance and 24 was put with 15.(the last unit in service) and the spare 26, was put with 23.

IE decided in the mid 2000s to get some use out of the two spare DMUs so, 2609 and 2716 spent around 2 years getting work done to work together, spent a long stint in Scotland and many more months in Drogheda on return and finally entered service in mid 2007.

so 2617 was swapped with 2613 and 2613 was swapped with 2609? did 2609 spend time with 2723 or was that one of the other 2600s?

so 2617 was swapped with 2613 and 2613 was swapped with 2609? did 2609 spend time with 2723 or was that one of the other 2600s?

There was always one 2600 and one 2700 spare at any one time until 2609 and 2716 were paired up in that one off experiment. I don't know when the other swaps happened and who was paired with what and what were the reaons at the time.

There was always one 2600 and one 2700 spare at any one time until 2609 and 2716 were paired up in that one off experiment. I don't know when the other swaps happened and who was paired with what and what were the reaons at the time.

ah i get it now, it was just your post suggested to me that coupling a 2700 and a 2600 wasn't a one off and that their was more then 1 spair 2600. do you know what they did exactly to 2716 and 2609 that now 2609 can't be used as a spair for the other 2600s and the 2800s and 2716 can't be used as a spair for the other 2700s?

• Advertisement

ah i get it now, it was just your post suggested to me that coupling a 2700 and a 2600 wasn't a one off and that their was more then 1 spair 2600. do you know what they did exactly to 2716 and 2609 that now 2609 can't be used as a spair for the other 2600s and the 2800s and 2716 can't be used as a spair for the other 2700s?

I don't know exactly what was done to 2609 and 2716 exactly. But basically they are both unique and can't even be added into any other set to make a 4 , 6 or 8 car combination. Alot on internal wiring and elecronics work basically so that they can "talk" to each other as an M1 and M2 unit. That's how they got the name as the "hybrid set". The Frankinstien of IE.

Advertisement