Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Sammiel54 wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm thinking of joining SW tomorrow. Need motivation and discipline. It's fairly confusing to see if it suits me. I don't eat breakfast cereal and am not a fruit or yogurt fan, but I'd manage it once a week at a push. Can you have eggs/ bacon toast etc most mornings? If I fall off the wagon in the morning I'm fecked for the day then!
    Firstly I would suggest that you go to your local meeting and listen to what the leader has to say - they usually give a talk to all newbies before doing anything else. So you can hear how SW works & how you can plug in your food likes into it. This is before you pay so if you really don't think that it will suit you, don't join.
    Yes you can have a breakfast of egg (fried in fry light spray, poached, boiled etc and they are free), bacon (free with fat cut off), tomatoes and mushrooms (fried in fry light would be super free) and certain bread of certain size could be your healthy B option and therefore free, so you can turn your breakfast into a syn free meal. You can have between 5 to 15 syns a day.

If you fall off the wagon, it is certainly not the end of the road, just hop back on, or if you do have something bad, then fill up afterwards in Superfree foods which will help!

I am sorry if some of the above doesn't help, but once you attend the meeting, read the book you will see how your food tastes can be turned into syn free slimming world food! And if you have anymore questions on it all, pop back in here and we will try to help you! Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sammiel54

Thanks Robo :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Well, my plans to limit the booze at the wedding on Saturday went out the window. I lost count of the amount I drank and the fact I was still up at 5am says it all!! Yesterday was a pit of right off as well, with a hotel Full Irish and a chinese take away last night, add to that a couple of cans of coke (not diet) anyway back on the wagon today and expecting a gain this week, Will be might shocked if I am not up. Not the end of the world as now back in the game and if I have a gain it will only be short lived one.

How is everyone else getting on?

It sounds like you enjoyed the wedding Carolinespring - that's good! Sure we are only human and yeh get back on the wagon!
    I am ok, still hanging on for that 1lb to get my first stone, which I hope will be this Thursday. I did a good bit of walking at the weekend and was kinda good with my food. Had salads instead of rolls when out for lunch at the weekend.
    Best of luck with the new start!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭polly27

hi all thanks for all your support and words of encouragment and tips, my weekend was great but not food wise and im afraid to say its another week of being up as i know it is, i feel every bit of it, was sick with the flu sunday and monday and just ate and ate and no exercise, today i am back at square one, dreading the weigh in but im going to go as no point not going, i am back on track since this morning and feeling a lot better (FLU WISE) i have 16 weeks to another wedding in aug to loose at least two stone and im going to do all in my power to do it, i know being told im up this evening will really P*** me off but its noones fault over my own and its time to stop beating myself up and just start loosing . its going to be a long road but i know when i reach the finish line it will have all been worth it.

well done to everyone on your amazing weight loss and keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Sammiel54

Can anyone tell me how many weeks I'm allowed to miss as a shift worker? I joined today and I said I miss a couple and they said the computer would take It into account and inwouldnt be charged double. But is that limited???

well as i expected i was up two , i am not a pound and half heavier that when i first joined 6 weeks ago :( im so peed off and down in the dumps but im looking at it that i have just joined today and its a whole new start , had a great day food wise and did 20 mins zumba on the wii and after i got weighed i felt like coming home and pigging out but had my dinner and put on my coat and took the dog for a 40 min walk in the lashing rain but i didnt care and i will do the same every day rain hail or snow, i feel like im not meant to loose weight and i know i sound silly but have to say how i feel,i have been over weight since i was 13 now im 27 and i want to have a nice figure once and for all but im loosing hope, all i can do is start a fresh and really work hard and i should get the reuslts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Going to my first meeting tomorrow! :)

Adamant to join the gym too... We have corporate offers and I have been hounding the guy in work for the last 3 weeks about it :mad:

I'm at my highest weight now and am sick of my pot belly.

My weaknesses are lack of motivation and take aways :(

Misticles wrote: »

Adamant to join the gym too... We have corporate offers and I have been hounding the guy in work for the last 3 weeks about it :mad:

I love my weekend take away also...and the odd mid-week one. But I found that if I bought food on the way home from work then I was less likely to want a take-away. Another thing that I found helpful was to cook a dinner straight away when I came in, even if I wasn't hungry. Then I could reheat when I was but it helped to avoid that feeling of "hungry & tired = take-away"

Motivation will come...once you see the pound or 2 go each week. Then you will hopefully feel that you wanna eat SW friendly food more than junk! Also, with the gym, (hope the guy sorts it out soon), you will feel good leaving there after your workout...I know it is usually the thoughts of going, but once there it feels good!

Best of luck with it.

Went around some shops yesterday with my SW app on my phone looking for some healthy treats. This is what I found -
    • Boots Shapers Mint Nougat Bars - 4 syns
    • Boots Shapers Strawberry Nougat Bars - 4 syns
    • Boots Shapers Prawn Spiral Snacks- 3.5 syns
    • Boots Shapers Salt & Vinegar Spiral Snacks- 3.5 syns
    • Boots Shapers Crunchy Onion Ring Snacks- 3 syns
    • Slim Fast Chocolate Caramel Bar - 4.5 syns

I was also astonished to find (whilst it was in my mouth) that a Starbucks Skinny Blueberry Muffin was 18 syns :eek: I know I should have checked before I bought it, was raging with myself as had a few syns already in the day!

I am really trying to find treats that are under 5 syns, so will continue looking and post anymore that I find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Sammiel54 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how many weeks I'm allowed to miss as a shift worker? I joined today and I said I miss a couple and they said the computer would take It into account and inwouldnt be charged double. But is that limited???

Everyone is allowed 6 weeks holidays in the year. If there is a hospitalization that doesn't come off your holiday time.

Also you can go to other groups as a "visitor" like if you can't make it to your own regular class. Or if you can't make your usual time class there may be an earlier one. They cater for shift workers but you have to let them know you are a shift worker so they can put it into the system.
    polly27 wrote: »
    well as i expected i was up two , i am not a pound and half heavier that when i first joined 6 weeks ago :( im so peed off and down in the dumps but im looking at it that i have just joined today and its a whole new start , had a great day food wise and did 20 mins zumba on the wii and after i got weighed i felt like coming home and pigging out but had my dinner and put on my coat and took the dog for a 40 min walk in the lashing rain but i didnt care and i will do the same every day rain hail or snow, i feel like im not meant to loose weight and i know i sound silly but have to say how i feel,i have been over weight since i was 13 now im 27 and i want to have a nice figure once and for all but im loosing hope, all i can do is start a fresh and really work hard and i should get the reuslts

Ah here woman! Cut yourself some slack you were sick with the flu! Everyone has off days, weeks even months. Plus everyone gets sick from time to time and your body is recovering from that so don't be too hard on yourself :)

Fair play for taking the dog out I'd say he will be delighted...they never care if it's raining or not long as they get out :D

Was sick myself over the last few days only back walking today. It's amazing how unfit ye get after only taking a few days break!
    Misticles wrote: »

Fair play Misti! They are a sound bunch and just ask plenty questions. It's a bit confusing at the start but then it eventually clicks :)

That's great about the corporate offers anything that helps! Hope the lad at works tags along with ya or rope some others into it if ye can. Unfortunately no gym near me so it's the open roads and forests for me!

With SW you are still allowed some take aways-it tells you at the back of the book about the syns for certain indian/chinese/burger joint options. So if you avoided syns during the day you could enjoy your takeaway at night! The consultant will tell ya more about it. As for the motivation I'm still getting to grips with it, friggin love my crisps and my alcohol :pac:

But doing good today I'm finishing up the packet of green seedless grapes and sugar snap peas and drinking water again. Think drinking water is very important for me because once I stop I then go for the milk. The milk leads to crisps and chocolate ya see :pac: So water all the way \o/

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Think drinking water is very important for me because once I stop I then go for the milk. The milk leads to crisps and chocolate ya see :pac: So water all the way \o/

Oh no wait til we have to pay for the water metres!!! :p

robo wrote: »
    Oh no wait til we have to pay for the water metres!!! :p

Awwww noooooooooooooooo

MV5BMTMzOTY4OTYxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQzMTk4NA@@._V1._SX334_SY500_.jpg

ToniTuddle : i know your right but was so bad aswell so no excuse for that, im on the right track again, was walking again today and wil walk everyday, have all my meals planned which is the main thing as there is no temptation then to go get a takeaway . hopefully ill be logging on next tuesday with a weight loss and every week :) how was your week?

CaolineSpring, i was the very same had it all planned but it went out the window, back on track since monday and going to stay on track

how did your weigh in go this week?

ToniTuddle : i know your right but was so bad aswell so no excuse for that, im on the right track again, was walking again today and wil walk everyday, have all my meals planned which is the main thing as there is no temptation then to go get a takeaway . hopefully ill be logging on next tuesday with a weight loss and every week :) how was your week?

Best of luck Polly - planning is the key, it helps us avoid temptation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

1.5lbs down this week - 7lbs in 2 weeks

Got my half stone award too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Am dreading this week WI, hasn't been a good week, was hungover on Sunday so ended up getting a kebab.

Was at a funeral Tuesday so ended up with a chinese when I got home and then was out for dinner last night too!!

Will be good for the rest of the week and then just start again on Saturday.

If I can do it...anyone can! Finally l got my first stone! Lost 2.5lbs today in WI so am delighted. I really didn't think that I would lose anything this week! Phew...now for my next half stone award!

Well done Robo, keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Been doing alright-using up the SW meals I'd frozen a few weeks back so that's been very, very handy. No chopping and cooking it's all sorted just needed defrosting :D back into the walking more too. Had been away from it due to bad dose of the cold. Meant to be away this weekend have my chicken curry defrosted and my mince dish so will bring some pasta with me to cook will also buy some fruit and hopefully that will keep me going!
    robo wrote: »
    If I can do it...anyone can! Finally l got my first stone! Lost 2.5lbs today in WI so am delighted. I really didn't think that I would lose anything this week! Phew...now for my next half stone award!

Fair play on the first stone!! :D

Well just weighed myself and I have stayed the same. Am so shocked as this week I have had a kebab, a Chinese and a pizza!!!

Back to the good eating this week though and hopefully get closer to the stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I started a new job last month and my sw plan has fallen apart its so fustrating!! Next week I plan to be organised and bring sw friendly lunches, fingers crossed!! This thread has became so busy its great:)

Daisy for lunch I usually alternate between Mugshots, soup and salads for lunch. Another good one is baked potato (cooked in the microwave) with the snap pots of either beans or spaghetti.

Does anybody know where in the city centre I can get the Bachelors Low Fat Super Noodles and fat free fromage frais??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i walked 3 miles each day, did zumba, shovelled 2 tonne of gravel ... and put on 3.5lbs , was great foodwise, was totally gutted... got mytotm today, after all my hard work:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Don't be too discouraged whealan, you might have a massive loss next week to make up for it :)

Kitten I had trouble finding fromaige frais too, in the end I used 0% fat yogurt in the recipe instead and it turned out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Whelan1, don't give up. The experts say its at this stage most people give up as they are discouraged but you should stick to what you were doing as it was the right thing and you will see a loss. It could be totm. Please don't give up, stick with it, you will get great support here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thanks, had a blow out on friday night, am now back on track... zumba tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hi All, can I join the chat please? :)
    I heard lots of success stories so I started Slimming World last Wednesday after years of WW - probably like many of you here. The thing that atttracted me to it was the amount of "free" food and not having to count every bite of food in my mouth!
    Anyway, I think I'm getting on well enough. I miss bread/crackers as I would always have one or other at lunch time and I find the syn value of them now to be so high that I can't have any amount that would fill me. I find the same for sweet stuff and I have a really bad sweet tooth. :o I find the programme requires an awful lot of planning and food preparation/cooking. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go but would love a few tips on what to eat to quench my craving for starch/sugar!
    I think I'm going to live on Muller Light or Activia Fat Free yoghurts! Thanks.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the chat bubbaloo, the best way that I can succeed is planning - buying food so I am not tempted to order take-away etc. Also, I have a sweet tooth, but I make sure that I have apples, bananas and plums etc in my food store so I can nibble on them when I feel I want something sweet. And only have sweet things that I know the syns. Also yoghurts are great at helping with snacks.
    For lunches, I bring in salads most days and also, I sometimes bring in leftovers from previous nights dinner which can be very filling! I was a divil for getting rolls and crisps at lunch time but have stopped all that and I am saving money with my lunches.
    Have a look through the thread for some good food recipes and go for it. And if you have questions, just ask us! Keep us updated on your progress ;)

Guys - Marks & Spencers have low fat sausages that are 1 syn each and I'm told that they taste meaty and not rubbery! So I think that I will have them this week with my syn free chips and fried egg...yum!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement