Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Compressor Pedals- Anyone use one ?

• 23-11-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭

I'm talking about the "stand alone" ones, as apart from being included in multi effects pedals.

What prompts the question is that I have being considering trying one. Decided to keep an eye on "Adverts". Not one has come up over the past three months or more. Granted, I can buy elsewhere, but I'm just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

I had a Tech 21 bass compactor for a while. That could be a noisy fecker of a pedal. I also had a copy of a dan armstrong orange squeezer. I wired that myself and must have made a bags of it as it caused a squeal unless the 800hz slider on graphic eq section of the head was pulled right out of the equation.
    Long story short, i found it useful, but havent had great luck with noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I had a Tech 21 bass compactor for a while. That could be a noisy fecker of a pedal. I also had a copy of a dan armstrong orange squeezer. I wired that myself and must have made a bags of it as it caused a squeal unless the 800hz slider on graphic eq section of the head was pulled right out of the equation.
    Long story short, i found it useful, but havent had great luck with noise.

Thanks for your reply. I have done some research on bass compressors and noise does indeed seem to be a problem with a lot of them. Good to know you found the pedal useful. Obviously you get what you pay for, but I doubt if I'd dish out €200 (more or less) for something I'd get minimal use from. Seemingly the "Diamond" and Mark Bass" are two of the best all round ones. The latter is a bit big though.

You may find the link below useful.

http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Food for thought there alright. I havent tried it, but i'd be interested to see how a rackmounted unit would fare out, some thing like this...
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/alesis_3632_compressor.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I have and use an EBS MultiComp. I like it, it's not too noisy and I haven't had any issues like the ones mentioned on that review page. I got for about €80 on Adverts a few years ago too. Before that I used an EHx Soul Preacher which was lovely and great at adding sustain but could be very noisy. I also put my bass through my Dbx 166xl sometimes and that's also really good although it's not a pedal of course.

Adyx wrote: »
    I have and use an EBS MultiComp. I like it, it's not too noisy and I haven't had any issues like the ones mentioned on that review page.

Yeah, according to the review, EBS pedals are great at the start but deteriorate over time. I suppose there is the exception to every "rule".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I find a compressor one of the most useful pedals for both guitar and bass. Definitely worth using one.
    They are very noisy by their very nature though so try and follow one with a noise suppressor/limiter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I've got an Orange Squeezer clone, but don't use it. I found it better on guitar to be honest.

I'm on the lookout for an Empress Compressor currently. This place > http://www.ovnilab.com/ < is THE place for compressor reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I moved from a studio grade BSS rackmounted comp to the Aguilar one this year.

I always compress the bass, and the Aguilar happens to be able to replicate the settings I used on the BSS - decent pedal, but again 200 quid. Its not noisy as some people have said about others above.

Thanks for your input lads. I'm curious to try one, so I'll probably end up getting something. As it may not be for me, I'm reluctant to spend a lot on it.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Thanks for your input lads. I'm curious to try one, so I'll probably end up getting something. As it may not be for me, I'm reluctant to spend a lot on it.

Good luck! from what I've seen bass compressors are bloody expensive!

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Good luck! from what I've seen bass compressors are bloody expensive!

Yep......GOOD ones are....:( I have seen some Behringer ones going fairly cheap. You get what you pay for.

Might take the plunge at some stage, maybe in the new year. For now though, I'm not going to lose any sleep without one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

You could pick up a joyo compressor for about €20 on adverts

The new Keeley Bassist looks nice!!! :eek:

I have being checking out a few compressor demos on You Tube. For the life of me, I can't tell the tone difference between when the compressor is engaged and disengaged. :D

I do realise that compressors are generally "subtle" devices, but jaysus......:pac:

Perhaps if/when I actually get my hands on one and plug in, I will be able to hear the difference.

You could pick up a joyo compressor for about €20 on adverts

Yeah, for their price they seem to get great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

A comp should not be introducing "Noise" into the signal chain. Something wrong there.

They can increase certain aspects of your pedal chain e.g. running a distortion and the signal becoming more sharp but un wanted noise sounds like a bad part of the chain somewhere.

As with anything you get what you pay for. Youtube vids are very hard to gauge a comp pedal etc.

I've moved up to Agulier pedals, night and day performance to any other pedal I used. IMHO hold out on the cash and get a decent one.

A comp should not be introducing "Noise" into the signal chain. Something wrong there.

They can increase certain aspects of your pedal chain e.g. running a distortion and the signal becoming more sharp but un wanted noise sounds like a bad part of the chain somewhere.

As with anything you get what you pay for. Youtube vids are very hard to gauge a comp pedal etc.

I've moved up to Agulier pedals, night and day performance to any other pedal I used. IMHO hold out on the cash and get a decent one.

The very nature of compression means that any noise generated in the chain before the compressor is essentially amplified. So, although the compressor may not be generating the noise, more noise will be evident after it.

If the compressor is after any distortion for instance it's only natural that any hiss or hum from that part of the chain is now more audible, not a fault with the signal chain, it's just what compressors do.

KeithTS wrote: »
    The very nature of compression means that any noise generated in the chain before the compressor is essentially amplified. So, although the compressor may not be generating the noise, more noise will be evident after it.

If the compressor is after any distortion for instance it's only natural that any hiss or hum from that part of the chain is now more audible, not a fault with the signal chain, it's just what compressors do.

This begs the question...are compressors noisy if they are the only pedal being used ?

This would be my intention as I'm not really into bass multi effects.

This begs the question...are compressors noisy if they are the only pedal being used ?

This would be my intention as I'm not really into bass multi effects.

They will be a bit noisy as it'll amplify any hum on your guitar. On bass it usually isn't an issue but with the likes of a cheap-ish Strat with single coils that's badly earthed there will be a definite increase in noise.

On bass the compression is usually used to even out notes so it's all an even level whereas on guitar the compressor is often used to add sustain to notes. It's usually this sustaining section where you notice a lot of the noise coming from so again, on bass it shouldn't be too bad.

On guitar I always end my chain with a limiter so when I'm not playing it cuts any noise out completely, some people will argue there's no point in having compression as the sustain you gain is cut short due by the limiter but with a bit of playing around you can get a sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

KeithTS wrote: »

Very true, however if a comp is introducing a noise I never said its a bad comp, its a bad chain, not meaning a faulty item but rather a setting/pedal that needs attention or changing.

• Advertisement

Very true, however if a comp is introducing a noise I never said its a bad comp, its a bad chain, not meaning a faulty item but rather a setting/pedal that needs attention or changing.

http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

I'm a bit confused about the above quote. The compressor review link above contains information on most brands. In my research, I'd say I have read over half of the reviews. About 75% of what I have read talks about noise varying from "not too bad" to "very noisy".

This begs two questions. Assuming the reviewer has tested the pedals on their own, would this not render 75% of compressor pedals noisy ?

Assuming they were tested as part of a chain, would this imply that either 75% of people (including the reviewer ) dont know how to set up a compressor or the same reviewer has other pedals in his chain that are in need of attention? If the latter is the case, then how come the "Markbass" and "Diamond" fared well in that they were very quiet ? :confused:

I'm not challenging your opinion as I know little or nothing about compressors. It is just that from the reviews, I got the impression that compressors in and of themselves are (can be) noisy beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Compressors by their nature will tend to amplify any underlying noise in the chain, even if there are no other pedals. They compress louder sections allowing quieter parts (and the accompanying, otherwise unnoticeable noise) to be brought to the same level as the louder parts. That's a very basic and simple explanation but you get the idea. Some pedals are better at managing the noise than others. As I said, my EBS is relatively quiet whereas the EHx was very noisy. And adding other pedals especially overdrive/distortion pedals which also compress your signal, will add more noise.

Filters and multiband compression can help but realistically unless your pedal is a complete piece of crap, it's not going to be that noticeable especially in a live band context. For recording, I wouldn't use a pedal unless it's an integral part of your sound and just rely on a good outboard or software plugin compressor.

Adyx wrote: »
    Compressors by their nature will tend to amplify any underlying noise in the chain, even if there are no other pedals. They compress louder sections allowing quieter parts (and the accompanying, otherwise unnoticeable noise) to be brought to the same level as the louder parts. That's a very basic and simple explanation but you get the idea. Some pedals are better at managing the noise than others. As I said, my EBS is relatively quiet whereas the EHx was very noisy. And adding other pedals especially overdrive/distortion pedals which also compress your signal, will add more noise.

Filters and multiband compression can help but realistically unless your pedal is a complete piece of crap, it's not going to be that noticeable especially in a live band context. For recording, I wouldn't use a pedal unless it's an integral part of your sound and just rely on a good outboard or software plugin compressor.

Thanks. Makes sense when explained like that. :)

Well...finally ordered one on EBay. :cool: I settled on the Carl Martin Opto Compressor. According to the "ovnilab" review, it is one of the better ones in the lower price range. Got it for €105 including shipping.

Here is the review :

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/cmclassic.shtml

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Let us know what you think when you've tried it...

Oink wrote: »
    Let us know what you think when you've tried it...

I have the compressor for a few days now, and have being experimenting. Besides my tuner pedal, it is the only other pedal I have ever had. :eek: :D So as I have nothing to compare it to, take my very limited "review" with a pinch of salt.

I have only used it in a small room with a small practice amp. The first thing I noticed is how quiet it is. I know from my research that (even with the higher rated ones) they can be a bit noisy. Perhaps if I had more pedals in the chain, it might be different.

I found each knob to be fairly responsive, even with little adjustment. The "gain" knob is the real deal maker as you can adjust the threshold to suit high and low output instruments. This is often where other compressors fall down. People buy one which is not suitable for their instrument and often there are only two knobs, leaving no way to adjust. The tone is very transparent, so it is not going to color your sound. If one word sums up the CM Opto it is ...versatility.

I certainly dont regret buying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think you'll really notice it when gigging - back in the day I had a DOD compressor (cant remember the model) and found it really improved the sound significantly. Any noise it created (and I don't remember it being too bad) was not noticeable at all during a gig.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I think you'll really notice it when gigging - back in the day I had a DOD compressor (cant remember the model) and found it really improved the sound significantly. Any noise it created (and I don't remember it being too bad) was not noticeable at all during a gig.

As soon as I become more familiar with it, I will probably try it out at a gig. In the meantime, I intend bringing it along to the next rehearsal and put it through it's paces. :cool:

Advertisement