Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a keyboard for Trinity grade 3 - 5

• 17-11-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

My daughter is about to do Trinity keyboard grade 2 exam (using a 14 year old keyboard!) and her music teacher says that she will definitely need a new keyboard for higher grades. Now she recommended a couple of Yamaha keyboards, and amazon shows them as 450 pounds and 699 pounds respectively whereas my budget would be under 200 pounds.

The requirements are written on the inside of the books and basically grade 3 to 5 needs:
    minimum 5 octaves
    full size keys
    touch sensitivity
    minimum 16-note polyphonic capacity
    a range of individual voices and rhythm styles
    voice change/registration memory
    dual voice/layer
    split point (two different voices simultaneously)

Anyone faced a similar decision lately that can recommend a cheap keyboard that meets all the requirements? Ideally I'd like to get a known brand, but would consider anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

get a full sized keyboard.

our kids were doing piano on a Yamaha clavinova and once they got past grade 4 they needed more than the smaller sized keyboard.

one bass note hit the off switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Cheers for that. Just to be clear what do you mean by full sized? I have seen ones with 88 keys but a lot of people say that is too large for learning with.

The variation in keyboards is just mind boggling, I can see why there would be 3 or 4 sizes of keyboards, but Amazon is showing as many as 14 different key counts.

I suppose I should have said that she is doing electronic keyboard trinity rather than piano..

We have been looking at a Yamaha PSR-E343 which has 61 touch sensitive keys, this is a traditional electronic keyboard with all the sounds etc. We have also been looking at a Casio CDP-120 which has 88 keys which are weighted and have hammer action....but it is missing a lot of the keyboard stuff that my daughter has been doing so far....

Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

BigEejit wrote: »
    .........but a lot of people say that is too large for learning with.

I'm guessing the people saying that are people who are selling the keyboards and hoping you'll be back to buy another one in 3 years time.

a full size is 88 keys. you'll need that for grade 5 and up.

best to buy it now rather than be really annoyed in a few years time......

Advertisement