Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Army Recruitment - Questions Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

JamesEIRE wrote: »
    i applied online so ???? no being a asshole just need help thats all

I know, you can only apply online! The email they sent yesterday that outlines the dates has the info. It says in brackets "(at centre you applied to)" with exception for the psychometric tests where a venue is to be decided.

Sorry, my previous post is a little confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JamesEIRE

I know, you can only apply online! The email they sent yesterday that outlines the dates has the info. It says in brackets "(at centre you applied to)" with exception for the psychometric tests where a venue is to be decided.

Sorry, my previous post is a little confusing!

Cheers man, let me know how it goes ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Hi all,Filled up my form online today...but sadly I don't have the ability to do the 2.4km in 11mins :(

Have tried to get my fitness back at peak level but have struggled,sustained ankle ligament damage a year ago,but taught i'd manage the fitness test..... went for my jog today and ankle injury has re-occurred in that it is buckling and swelling...I feel I will have to pull out of the competition sadly :mad:

Should I inform the IDF via email or what would be recommended?..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

JamesEIRE wrote: »
    Whats your height ?

Height 5ft 7??

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

"A life less ordinary" is the defence forces quote........True f88king right is less ordinary not been smart lads who have applied and got it but your on less pay than before and the way our country is gone and money is tight as a monkeys arse your contract wont be renowed after the 5 years so they wont have to pay pensions!!!! I know alot will get on to me here over this post but only way for career in defence forces is going to cadets... as they will look after officers as long as the sun shines... us scum at bottom we are nothing.....recruit recruit recruit thats the way forward to the defence forces today to cut out all the pensions and grat pay at then end of 21 years service:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I'm sure it would be cheaper to keep people in the Defence forces long term than to run a recruitment campaign every year and spend the time training them up.

And money is not the main motivation for the majority of those applying.

Its a great career for those who apply themselves when in the job, very rewarding.

The numbers applying this year are testament to how sought after the job is.

I'm sure it would be cheaper to keep people in the Defence forces long term than to run a recruitment campaign every year and spend the time training them up.

And money is not the main motivation for the majority of those applying.

Its a great career for those who apply themselves when in the job, very rewarding.

The numbers applying this year are testament to how sought after the job is.

its all about pensions fair play to lads and girls joining up now but cant see any future in defrnce forces in 20 years see them working like sweeden at this stage

FANTAPANTS wrote: »
    its all about pensions fair play to lads and girls joining up now but cant see any future in defrnce forces in 20 years see them working like sweeden at this stage

It's an extremely expensive and drawn out process to recruit new blood and get rid of fully trained soldiers, along with the bad PR that comes with the whole idea of treating their soldiers like what you outlined.

It's not cost effective and its counter-productive.

It's an extremely expensive and drawn out process to recruit new blood and get rid of fully trained soldiers, along with the bad PR that comes with the whole idea of treating their soldiers like what you outlined.

It's not cost effective and its counter-productive.

watch this space hope im wrong but have funny feeling its the way our country is gone money wise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

FANTAPANTS wrote: »
    watch this space hope im wrong but have funny feeling its the way our country is gone money wise!!!

You're hopes have been realised. You are wrong. Why do you think they introduced the new contracts? ie: the ones these new guys will be signing on to. No more 21 year pensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

How much time is there (if any) between the push/sit ups and the run in the fitness test? Also is there a warm up before hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

How much time is there (if any) between the push/sit ups and the run in the fitness test? Also is there a warm up before hand?

i doubt theres much rest and id say there will be warmup time perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Lads,

I'd just like to say, ignore the absolute tripe that was posted during the last few posts in this thread.

There is no masterplan being put together by the General Staff to **** lads out after doing their 5 years. The 21 years done and collect your pension hasn't been in new Recruits contracts since, I believe, 2003 or 2004.

You won't be shafted by some new random contract being written up. What's required to fulfill your contract and continue your service will be the exact same as mine.

Yes, there's people who don't get signed back on after 5 years... However, there's good reason why they don't get signed back on and it has nothing to do with pensions or any such crap.

You'll do your sit ups and push ups one after the other, probably with 2 or 3 minutes rest in between.

The run will then be conducted once everyone has completed their push ups and sit ups so you'll get a break. You'll be warmed up by one of the people involved in the Fitness Testing before the run begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Cheers Pocc, great info as always.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 alley2020

When doing the sit ups, can you get someone to hold your feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

No.. as far as i know you do them unassisted..

alley2020 wrote: »

Highly doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

alley2020 wrote: »
    no you cant have someone hold your feet that is the point of the test mainly due to the fact it is a LME exercise local muscular endurance. this is to test that you can suport your own weight physically if someone was holding your feet then you wouldnt be able to tell if the person couldnt. you wouldnt see thier feet rise off the ground. If you have some bit of fitness you will manage it, but its more occurred then hard

beco2010 wrote: »
    just to ask, i'v aplied to the army but also the navy will this come across as if i have no commitment to ether

has this been answered yet?

• Advertisement

swimfast wrote: »
    ya it wont matter

Reckon we will be notified tommorriw about fitness test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

You will not be disqualified but the sit up will not be counted.

However if you drop your knee or elbow to the floor in the p/ups you can be d/q'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wills21

Reckon we will be notified tommorriw about fitness test ?

Were you notified?

Nobody will hold your feet while doing the sit ups.

got my PT time and date for two weeks time

anyone else

Wills21 wrote: »
    Were you notified?

just for the navy

also did anyone get a fitness test date for navy for a time later than 130 because im getting the train down and then a bus from train station and earliest i could get there is about 2

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

just for the navy

also did anyone get a fitness test date for navy for a time later than 130 because im getting the train down and then a bus from train station and earliest i could get there is about 2

Your only option imo is to find another mode of transport (car maybe) or go down the night before and stay in a hotel.

there is a slot at 2 i found out so im going to ring em and see can i change to this?

• Advertisement

or might bring the bike with me its only 20 k from the train st

Advertisement