Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible false flag torpedo attacks on US carriers in the Persian gulf.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

pacquiao wrote: »
    Iran Said to Seek Yen Oil Payment From India Amid Tighter Global Sanctions

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-22/iran-said-to-seek-yen-oil-payment-from-india-amid-tighter-global-sanctions.html

The currency wars are heating up
    yeah they've just signed their own death warrant ... war is now guaranteed ... unless china/india/russia stand up for iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

davoxx wrote: »
    yeah they've just signed their own death warrant ... war is now guaranteed ... unless china/india/russia stand up for iran.

I think it's almost guaranteed too, the small print that it.

Glory, Glory, Hallelujah, the Mayans were right. Global thermonuclear war. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Sneaky out boys. http://rt.com/news/iran-india-gold-oil-543/
    Sanctions dodge: India to pay gold for Iran oil, China may follow

Hmmm, that gold will be lead only painted right? :)

If other conspiracy theories are correct, the Chinese Gold will be from the empty Fort Knox anyway, so US won't be happy either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

there sems to be something more than a little Retarded about these sanctions.

Will sanctions be placed on China or India or any of the other countries that faciltate Iranian Oil trade?

I'd say hardly likely that either anone would have the balls to mention it to the Chinese and even less likely that the chinese would give a Snit.

S

• Advertisement

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    there sems to be something more than a little Retarded about these sanctions.

Will sanctions be placed on China or India or any of the other countries that faciltate Iranian Oil trade?

I'd say hardly likely that either anone would have the balls to mention it to the Chinese and even less likely that the chinese would give a Snit.

S

They already mentioned to the Chinese, and they did pretty much say they don't give a snit, clearly India doesn't either.

so has anyone got a good reason why Europe should comply with these sanctions which from what I can see will do us a lot more economic damage than Iran.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    so has anyone got a good reason why Europe should comply with these sanctions which from what I can see will do us a lot more economic damage than Iran.

Well it looks like the Iranian's will pull the carpet out from beneath europes feet tomorrow and stop all exports of oil to Europe from next week, Europe wanted until 1st July to impose import sanctions but the Iranians thought why 6 months and not now, now Europe will have another headache on top of its fcuked up euro.
    3 mile que's to the local petrol station may be only a couple of weeks away all across the EU, all because of the US and Israel imposing their sanctions on Iran and the EU obeying their imperial masters.
    China and co will love all that extra black gold coming their way.
    I just hope Saudi Arabia can keep good on their promise to fill the gap although they won't have their 6 months to get their act together and start shipping all the desperate last minute orders from the EU.

Basically the EU were going to cut off their own nose to spite their face (in 6 months), Iran will do it for them straight away.

stuar wrote: »

I think nuclear weapons will be used, the US already gave the green light for use in conventional warfare a long time ago using mini nukes.
    Jaafa wrote: »
    No they won't. There's no benefit for anyone to use them.

U.S. bombs not strong enough to destroy Iran's nuclear program, report says
    However, speaking to the Wall Street Journal on Friday, U.S. officials estimated that even the 15-ton bombs would not be powerful to put a full stop to Iran's nuclear program, either because of some of the facilities' depth or their newly added fortifications.

One unnamed officials said Pentagon analysts estimated that currently held conventional bombs would not be effective against Iran's enrichment plant in Fordo, adding that a tactical nuclear would be the only option if Washington sought to destroy the facility.

"Once things go into the mountain, then really you have to have something that takes the mountain off," the official told the Wall Street Journal.
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-bombs-not-strong-enough-to-destroy-iran-s-nuclear-program-report-says-1.409607

This idiot seems to think it would be criminal to risk another American life, so just Nuke Iran, nothing criminal about that!
    Ironically, if there ever were a time to use nuclear weapons, like radiation-reduced neutron bombs, to excise a cancer such as this, now is the moment. While our armed forces are now clear of the quagmire in Iraq, to sacrifice many more American lives would be criminal. And, a quick strike is necessary
    By:Larry Klayman is a former Justice Department prosecutor and the founder of Judicial Watch and Freedom Watch. His latest book is "Whores: Why and How I Came to Fight the Establishment."
    http://www.wnd.com/2011/12/382685/

Here's an article from 2005:
    Revised US nuclear doctrine outlines preemption strategy
    WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon has drafted a revised doctrine for the use of nuclear weapons that envisions commanders requesting presidential approval to preempt an attack by a nation or terror group using weapons of mass destruction. The draft also includes the option of using nuclear arms to destroy known enemy stockpiles of nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons.
    To deter the use of weapons of mass destruction against the United States, the Pentagon paper says preparations must be made to use nuclear weapons and show determination to use them ''if necessary to prevent or retaliate against WMD use."
    http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/11/revised_us_nuclear_doctrine_outlines_preemption_strategy/

In a meeting with U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates in February, Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi expressed concern that Israel might use nuclear weapons in a preemptive strike on Iran.
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/italy-pm-said-not-even-obama-can-stop-israeli-attack-on-iran-wikileaks-cable-reveals-1.330274

So next time you hear "ALL options are on the table" concerning Iran, remember a pre-emptive nuclear strike is one of those options.

Exclusive: New Iranian commando team operating near US (TEHRAN, FNA) - The Fars News Agency has confirmed with the Republican Guards' North American Operations Command that a new elite Iranian commando team is operating in the US-Mexican border region. The primary day-to-day mission of the team, known as the Joint Special Operations Gulf of Mexico Task Force, or JSOG-MTF, is to mentor Mexican military units in the border areas in their war with the deadly drug cartels. The task force provides "highly trained personnel that excel in uncertain environments," Major Amir Arastoo, a spokesman for Republican Guards special operations forces in North America, tells Fars, and "seeks to confront irregular threats ..."

The unit began its existence in mid-2009 - around the time that Washington rejected the Iranian leadership's wish for a new diplomatic dialogue. But whatever the task force does about the United States - or might do in the future - is a sensitive subject with the Republican Guards. "It would be inappropriate to discuss operational plans regarding any particular nation," Arastoo says about the US.
    http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NA31Ak05.html

Read the rest of this story, I wonder how the US will like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NA31Ak05.html

Read the rest of this story, I wonder how the US will like this.

You obviously didn't read the rest of the story. Or the very next line even.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    You obviously didn't read the rest of the story. Or the very next line even.

Ohhh cop on will you, yea I just stopped there!

I bet when you read my excerpt you thought "WTF, they can't be allowed do that".

I was highlighting the hypocrisy in US foreign policy, imagine that was true, you'd be here shouting that the US should remove them by force, yet it's ok for the US to go and do whatever they like anywhere on the planet.

Ohh and google the word sarcasm, it might help you in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Ohhh cop on will you, yea I just stopped there!

I bet when you read my excerpt you thought "WTF, they can't be allowed do that".

I was highlighting the hypocrisy in US foreign policy, imagine that was true, you'd be here shouting that the US should remove them by force, yet it's ok for the US to go and do whatever they like anywhere on the planet.

Ohh and google the word sarcasm, it might help you in future.

Sooo do you want to make a point or just piss off people in general

Do you know the difference between Sarcasm and being condescending ??

weisses wrote: »
    Sooo do you want to make a point or just piss off people in general

Do you know the difference between Sarcasm and being condescending ??

What's your point?

Seeing as this the conspiracy forum I might as well exercise my licence to write crazy ideas. So here goes.

Does anyone think that the main reason the EU decided to halt oil imports from Iran was so that in the event of a war in the near future, they wouldn't suddenly have oil cut off to their weakest countries, especially in the middle of their economic problems. (which may backfire now anyway)

Because lets be honest here they know as well as the US Iran nuclear program doesn't have any weapons dimension to it anymore, so it wasn't to put pressure on Iran as they claim.

Seeing as this the conspiracy forum I might as well exercise my licence to write crazy ideas. So here goes.

Does anyone think that the main reason the EU decided to halt oil imports from Iran was so that in the event of a war in the near future, they wouldn't suddenly have oil cut off to their weakest countries, especially in the middle of their economic problems. (which may backfire now anyway)

Because lets be honest here they know as well as the US Iran nuclear program doesn't have any weapons dimension to it anymore, so it wasn't to put pressure on Iran as they claim.

I think you may have a point there, I think we can all agree there will be some sort of war, actually if it's war,it will be all out, no holds barred war, and the EU knowing this would need to plan ahead, so yeah, its what I'd do. Although as you said it's probabily going to shoot themselves in the foot, Iran still has its poker face and ain't giving much away.

Concerning the nuclear bollocksology, they're enriching to 20%, as said before, the worldwide norm is 36% for research reactors or isotope reactors, for medical and scientific use, and 20% is the bare minimum that uranium purity is viable in such reactors, and 20% isn't weapons grade like the 90%+ stockpile a few blocks away on the globe.
    The inspectors are in there now and Iran has said if they are genuine they will co-operate, but I forsee US/Israel throwing boulders on the smooth path, demanding Ahmadinejad to lick Sharon's undercarriage while he sits there and vegetate's, sorry had a few beers!.

Sorry thats a bit sick and degrading but no-matter how much co-operation Iran give will never be enough for the warmongers, who tear this fcuking world apart on their evil macho ways, this world is fcuked, children dying every few seconds of starvation, while Gazillions spent on mass destruction, is that fcuking normal?, are we as a race, the fcuking HUMAN RACE, going to allow a few men decide our destiny?........Think About It, do me or you wanna kill somebody?, do we want to watch even more suffering, blasted as "FREEDOM", mostly freedom from actually living or having a chance to even be born, there's some evil sh1t happening in front of our eye's and some don't see it, or reject it, or explain it, or inspect it.
    Where the fcuk are we going?, anyone know?

There are six men who want to own the world and have abject obedience from the remaining population. The population is too large for them to live in comfort so they seek to cull.

Concerning the nuclear bollocksology, they're enriching to 20%, as said before, the worldwide norm is 36% for research reactors or isotope reactors, for medical and scientific use, and 20% is the bare minimum that uranium purity is viable in such reactors, and 20% isn't weapons grade like the 90%+ stockpile a few blocks away on the globe.
    The inspectors are in there now and Iran has said if they are genuine they will co-operate, but I forsee US/Israel throwing boulders on the smooth path, demanding Ahmadinejad to lick Sharon's undercarriage while he sits there and vegetate's, sorry had a few beers!.

Sorry thats a bit sick and degrading but no-matter how much co-operation Iran give will never be enough for the warmongers, who tear this fcuking world apart on their evil macho ways, this world is fcuked, children dying every few seconds of starvation, while Gazillions spent on mass destruction, is that fcuking normal?, are we as a race, the fcuking HUMAN RACE, going to allow a few men decide our destiny?........Think About It, do me or you wanna kill somebody?, do we want to watch even more suffering, blasted as "FREEDOM", mostly freedom from actually living or having a chance to even be born, there's some evil sh1t happening in front of our eye's and some don't see it, or reject it, or explain it, or inspect it.

Enriching up to 3% to 5% (reactor grade) accounts for about 75% of the total effort
    Any country going up to 20% enrichment is nine-tenths of the way to weapons grade.
    Going up to 80+% is relatively easy from there.
    Research reactors use up to 93% enriched Uranium.
    Iran could hypothetically build a bomb within months. Hence the concern.

Enriching up to 3% to 5% (reactor grade) accounts for about 75% of the total effort
    Any country going up to 20% enrichment is nine-tenths of the way to weapons grade.
    Going up to 80+% is relatively easy from there.
    Research reactors use up to 93% enriched Uranium.

Johnny I already explained to you 20% is not 9 tenths of the way to a proper viable bomb, its way off.

Johnny I already explained to you 20% is not 9 tenths of the way to a proper viable bomb, its way off.

You never came back to me

From that thread, my last post was..

"It's relative not literal.

To enrich to 4% (close to reactor grade) apparently takes the bulk of the effort (about three-quarters to put it in a figure)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78R25C20110928
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/juli...r-iran-israel1

I would discount the extreme projections of 2 months, because Iran also needs simultaneous tech such as detonators, initiators, reflectors (some of the tech it was researching in 2003). Six months to one year is technically possible.
    "

If a country wants to weaponise, 75% of the total effort (tech, infrastructure, research, etc) is required just to get to reactor grade (3 to 5%)

In fact I've read that it takes 80% of the effort to going from natural uranium (0.75% U-235) to just 3.5% enriched.

Here's another explanation - a bit simpler
    http://news.discovery.com/tech/nuclear-bomb-iran-weapons-111109.html
    "Right now Iran is almost at 20 percent (enrichment)," Squassoni said, adding that the first step of enrichment, from 3 percent to 20 percent represents the "lion's share" of the work. After that, she says, getting from 20 to 90 percent, the process is repetitive and not as hard"

It seems plausible that reaching 20% enrichment is nine-tenths of the effort required.

Enrichment to weapons-grade and the actual tech required to use that weapons grade material are two different things. One can be quantified, the other is more difficult.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    There are six men who want to own the world and have abject obedience from the remaining population. The population is too large for them to live in comfort so they seek to cull.

can you elaborate on this a bit?

I'd love to know who these fellas are.

You never came back to me

From that thread, my last post was..

"It's relative not literal.

To enrich to 4% (close to reactor grade) apparently takes the bulk of the effort (about three-quarters to put it in a figure)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78R25C20110928
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/juli...r-iran-israel1

I would discount the extreme projections of 2 months, because Iran also needs simultaneous tech such as detonators, initiators, reflectors (some of the tech it was researching in 2003). Six months to one year is technically possible.
    "

If a country wants to weaponise, 75% of the total effort (tech, infrastructure, research, etc) is required just to get to reactor grade (3 to 5%)

In fact I've read that it takes 80% of the effort to going from natural uranium (0.75% U-235) to just 3.5% enriched.

Here's another explanation - a bit simpler
    http://news.discovery.com/tech/nuclear-bomb-iran-weapons-111109.html
    "Right now Iran is almost at 20 percent (enrichment)," Squassoni said, adding that the first step of enrichment, from 3 percent to 20 percent represents the "lion's share" of the work. After that, she says, getting from 20 to 90 percent, the process is repetitive and not as hard"

It seems plausible that reaching 20% enrichment is nine-tenths of the effort required.

Enrichment to weapons-grade and the actual tech required to use that weapons grade material are two different things. One can be quantified, the other is more difficult.

My apologies for not getting back.

None of your links appear to be working.

Unfortunately neither of those articles come anywhere close to supporting your claim that 20% enrichment equals 90% of the way to a real bomb.

The reuters article is pretty much 50/50 on the issue, the closest it comes is
    The West fears that Iran's move last year to enrich uranium to a fissile purity of almost 20 percent -- up from the 3.5 percent normally needed for reactors -- takes it significantly closer to the 90 percent level needed for arms.
    Which if you take in context, of course 3.5 to 20% is significantly closer, but still a long way off, 90%.

The guardian article is an odd one for you to post as it pretty much says the IAEA report was pointless, and again the closest it comes to supporting your point is the fact 20% enrichment is going to start/has started in Fordow, which as we know, is now crawling with IAEA monitors. And even after all that the article still concludes that
    So Iran has the raw materials and the skills necessary to make a small arsenal, perhaps in a few months, if it decided to "break out", which means leave the NPT and throw out the IAEA which is carefully monitoring its uranium stocks and its enrichment activities.

It's seems your argument relies on the last article, so I'd advise you to find that before continuing this debate.

Unfortunately neither of those articles come anywhere close to supporting your claim that 20% enrichment equals 90% of the way to a real bomb.

Those links relate to my line below
    "I would discount the extreme projections of 2 months, because Iran also needs simultaneous tech such as detonators, initiators, reflectors (some of the tech it was researching in 2003). Six months to one year is technically possible.""

Because in the other thread we were projecting how soon Iran could hypothetically weaponise. I was referring to a posters estimate of "years". I quoted my old post as a reference because it was the last post in our discussion now.

The exact claim in question is by a nuclear expert.

"By the time the uranium is enriched to 20 percent, nine-tenths of the effort to reach weapons grade has been expended"

I am backing this claim

Where in this thread have I claimed that "20% enrichment equals 90% of the way to a real bomb."?

If its a genuine misunderstanding its grand.

Those links relate to my line below
    "I would discount the extreme projections of 2 months, because Iran also needs simultaneous tech such as detonators, initiators, reflectors (some of the tech it was researching in 2003). Six months to one year is technically possible.""

Because in the other thread we were projecting how soon Iran could hypothetically weaponise. I was referring to a posters estimate of "years". I quoted my old post as a reference because it was the last post in our discussion now.

The exact claim in question is by a nuclear expert.

"By the time the uranium is enriched to 20 percent, nine-tenths of the effort to reach weapons grade has been expended"

I am backing this claim

Where in this thread have I claimed that "20% enrichment equals 90% of the way to a real bomb."?

If its a genuine misunderstanding its grand.

Perhaps it is a misunderstanding then, by reaching weapons grade I assumed you meant they'd have a bomb ready, I didn't think you weren't including other necessary equipment too.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

For arguments sake let's pretent that this isn't nonsense. They simply couldn't "build a bomb" without a bomb making facility after diversion. Where is this facility? They simply cannot enrich to weapon grade levels on their known sites as everything is tightly monitored and recorded by the IAEA. So where is this secret enrichment plant?

20% is the bare minimum for a research reactor, for medical purposes, such as treating cancer.
    The IAEA team have left, Iran is open and honest about it's nuclear program, I just hope the IAEA are honest and not have Iran ban them.
    Despite the rules enshrined in the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) entitling every member state, including Iran, to the right of uranium enrichment, Tehran is now under four rounds of UN Security Council sanctions for turning down West's calls to give up its right of uranium enrichment.

A 2008 report of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) by the then Director-General, Mohamed ElBaradei, thanked Iran's honest cooperation in removing ambiguities about its past activities and confirmed that Iran has answered all the six outstanding questions of the world body about the nuclear material and activities that it had had in the past.
    http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9010173029

Iran have many agreements with the IAEA:
    Multilateral Agreements

http://ola.iaea.org/factSheets/CountryDetails.asp?country=IR

They don't hide anything.
    The AEOI announced in August 2011 that it plans to transfer the production of 20-percent-enriched uranium from the Natanz nuclear site to the Fordo enrichment facility under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and triple the production of the 20-percent-enriched uranium.

The Islamic Republic needs the 20-percent-enriched uranium for the production of nuclear fuel plates required at the Tehran Research Reactor for producing radioisotopes for cancer treatment.
    http://www.presstv.ir/detail/219899.html

Former IAEA Official Dismisses Report on Iran as Unauthentic
    Robert Kelley, a former director at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in a Bloomberg article that a two-page document, first printed by the Times and used by the agency its November assessment of Iran's nuclear work, lacks authenticity.
    http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9010171137

This is what a former IAEA inspector Robert Kelley had to say:
    I am speaking up about this now because, as a member of the IAEA’s Iraq Action Team in 2003, I learned firsthand how withholding the facts can lead to bloodshed. Having known the details then, though I was not allowed to speak, I feel a certain shared responsibility for the war that killed more than 4,000 Americans and more than 100,000 Iraqis. A private citizen today, I hope to help ensure the facts are clear before the U.S. takes further steps that could lead, intentionally or otherwise, to a new conflagration, this time in Iran.
    Today’s Regrets

I regret now that ElBaradei did not speak out more vehemently, before the U.S. went to war, about the 1995 faked documents, additional forgeries provided to the agency in 2003 and other falsifications. A good man, he had been an international lawyer with years of experience dealing with half- truths and prevarications. But he was trapped between telling the whole story and overtly insulting the U.S., which supplied 25 percent of the IAEA’s funding.
    For example, ElBaradei labeled documents provided to the IAEA about Iraq’s attempts to acquire uranium from Africa “not authentic.” A better description would have been “blatant and amateurish forgeries.”

(Robert Kelley, a nuclear engineer, was a director at the IAEA, where he worked for nine years. He gained his weapons expertise over 30 years at the University of California’s nuclear-weapons laboratories. The opinions expressed are his own.)
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-11/iran-nuclear-weapons-charge-is-no-slam-dunk-commentary-by-robert-kelley.html

RT, I know before somebody points it out, and infowars, but it's interesting if you can be bothered to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucIDWtaKcko

Here's Robert Kelley former IAEA inspector, he seem's a reasonable man.
    Robert Kelley: 'Misleading Iran report proves nothing'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyN-3H4uRg

An IAEA report on Israel.
    Text of the Director General’s letter to IAEA Member States
    (Dispatched on 7 April 2010)
    Sir/Madam,
    I have the honour to refer to the resolution entitled “Israeli nuclear capabilities” that was
    adopted by the 53rd General Conference on 18 September 2009 (GC(53)/RES/17 – enclosed).
    The resolution,
    inter alia, expressed “concern about the Israeli nuclear capabilities”, called upon
    Israel “to accede to the NPT and place all its nuclear facilities under comprehensive IAEA safeguards”,
    urged “the IAEA Director General to work with the concerned States towards achieving that end” and
    “report on the implementation of this resolution to the Board of Governors and the General Conference
    at its fifty fourth regular session”.
    In this regard, it would be helpful to me if Your Excellency could inform me of any views that
    your Government might have with respect to meeting the objectives of the resolution GC(53)/RES/17.
    I am writing similarly to the Foreign Ministers of the other Member States of the IAEA. I expect
    that the replies that I would receive to these letters will help me to report on the matter to the Board of
    Governors and to the General Conference at its fifty-fourth regular session.
    An early response to this letter would therefore be much appreciated.
    Yours sincerely,
    Yukiya Amano
    http://www.iaea.org/About/Policy/GC/GC54/GC54Documents/English/gc54-14_en.pdf

Taken together all of the above show who the threat is in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

This is an interesting take on whats behind the rising tension between the US and Iran.

Petrodollar pumping US policy on Iran, backfire looms.

• Advertisement

The IAEA team have left, Iran is open and honest about it's nuclear program, I just hope the IAEA are honest and not have Iran ban them.

Eh, no it hasn't been, that's the whole issue.
    They don't hide anything.

Yes they do.
    Taken together all of the above show who the threat is in reality.

No, the above is your own cherry-picked information, including sources such as Russia Today to back your own narrative on the situation.

I'm not saying its all completely false, I'm just saying you're presenting one side and a naive view.

Advertisement