Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Questions about teaching in Ireland

Options
  • 27-10-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there,

I was wondering could you answer some questions for me. I am a teacher in Chelsea, London. I have been teaching here 3 years and also done one year previous to that teaching in Liverpool. I done a PGCE in Liverpool in 2009/10 in ICT and have a degree in Multimedia Design.

I now teach ICT, ECDL (KS3) and also computer science & Creative iMedia (Multimedia) to KS4 & 5. I am a deputy year head and also in charge of Creative iMedia at my current school which has been OFSTED rated as Outstanding twice in the past 4 years.

I am from Armagh but at some point in the next year or two plan to move back to Ireland to teach. In the Republic what sort of teaching positions would I be looking for if I was to teach a computing based subject in Ireland? Is computing taught at secondary level?

Thanks for your help.

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi there,

I was wondering could you answer some questions for me. I am a teacher in Chelsea, London. I have been teaching here 3 years and also done one year previous to that teaching in Liverpool. I done a PGCE in Liverpool in 2009/10 in ICT and have a degree in Multimedia Design.

I now teach ICT, ECDL (KS3) and also computer science & Creative iMedia (Multimedia) to KS4 & 5. I am a deputy year head and also in charge of Creative iMedia at my current school which has been OFSTED rated as Outstanding twice in the past 4 years.

I am from Armagh but at some point in the next year or two plan to move back to Ireland to teach. In the Republic what sort of teaching positions would I be looking for if I was to teach a computing based subject in Ireland? Is computing taught at secondary level?

Thanks for your help.

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

If you were planning on teaching ICT, you would probably be better staying north as computing is not taught in the Republic and I presume the North follow the same curriculum as the UK.

At the moment, ICT is used as a filler subject which means anyone with good computer knowledge could be asked to teach ICT. You may see advertisements with Maths and ICT but not ICT on its on own.

In my own opinion, I think its a pity that there is no set curriculum for ICT in the Republic as there are loads of advantages for studying computer science.

I hope that answers your question. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paddyfulham

Hi Paddy,

If you were planning on teaching ICT, you would probably be better staying north as computing is not taught in the Republic and I presume the North follow the same curriculum as the UK.

At the moment, ICT is used as a filler subject which means anyone with good computer knowledge could be asked to teach ICT. You may see advertisements with Maths and ICT but not ICT on its on own.

In my own opinion, I think its a pity that there is no set curriculum for ICT in the Republic as there are loads of advantages for studying computer science.

I hope that answers your question. Best of luck.

Thanks for that. My missus is from Dublin and ideally we would like to move there. She told me ICT or computing isn't taught in the south which I find mental.

Its really difficult to get a teaching job in the north. Would my only option be like a college or a tech? (pre Uni education I mean).

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ICT is not taught across the curriculum, but it is a major part of the LCA programme, which is offered in some schools.
    Any introduction of even a 'short JC course' in ICT would require money being put in, so that won't happen. The North is your best bet.

Its really difficult to get a teaching job in the north. Would my only option be like a college or a tech? (pre Uni education I mean).

Thanks for your help.

Yes I think it would be but they are like hens teeth aswell. I rarely see posts for ICT in adult education. I have seen some posts on the FAS Jobseeker website for trainers - but have never even had an interview - these are usually agencies working for FAS with difficult requirements e.g. having at least five years experience (which I don't have), hence no interviews.

Just wondering did you enquire about registration with the Teaching Council of Ireland? (To make sure that your degree entitles you to teach ICT.) Also registration has also changed for adult education/ETBs so just make sure you can register as you can't get paid otherwise.

You may however be lucky in Dublin - check out the ETBs for current vacancies and you might see what is on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paddyfulham

Yes I think it would be but they are like hens teeth aswell. I rarely see posts for ICT in adult education. I have seen some posts on the FAS Jobseeker website for trainers - but have never even had an interview - these are usually agencies working for FAS with difficult requirements e.g. having at least five years experience (which I don't have), hence no interviews.

Just wondering did you enquire about registration with the Teaching Council of Ireland? (To make sure that your degree entitles you to teach ICT.) Also registration has also changed for adult education/ETBs so just make sure you can register as you can't get paid otherwise.

You may however be lucky in Dublin - check out the ETBs for current vacancies and you might see what is on offer.

No haven't registered. What are ETBs?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Education and Training Boards- the old VECs. You might get in under Adult Ed either

No haven't registered. What are ETBs?

Thanks

Sorry I should have said. ETBs are Educational and Training Boards which is their new name - they were known as VECs (Vocational Education Committee) which oversee the running of Adult Education / VEC Schools / Youthreach etc.

Advertisement