Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TAP SAF/ESF benefits?

• 20-10-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

I'm doing JF Comp Sci this year and am also in receipt of the TAP grant in Trinity. I'm aware of the benefits such as reduced points on entry to course(which arent really necessary now) and financial aid. Although unfortunately during the TAP orientation they didnt go into great detail about the benefits from the SAF/ESF funds that are available to TAP students. I'm in need of new computer for the course, and am unaware of how much financial aid i would recieve from the TAP funding in order to purchase a new computer, whether it be a laptop or desktop or so ever.

Do any TAP students or anyone at all know how much financial support I would recieve off TAP in order to purchase a new laptop? I'm aware about keeping receipts for other school necessary purchases, but I'm unaware of how much I get in return from these receipts.

Any information would be great, thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

From the TAP cheques we got last year you would come close to the price of a new laptop

TAP have a laptop borrowing scheme, and it's free, but there's only 4/5 of them i think so get on to the office asap if you need it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

To get the ESF money you just need to present receipts (be it textbooks, transport costs or similar), so it doesn't have to be a laptop cost per se. They should be sending you an email at some stage asking to fill out a form to be eligible. ESF money is given out in MT and HT. It is quite substantial, TAP is great in that regard.

P.S.: Kind of a TAP plug, but do consider volunteering for them at some of the events they run. As a first year you probably have some time, and they are great fun and could be beneficial in the future too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chocolatey

I heard that dcu students receive two separate funds: hear assistance and also saf. Is trinity the same? There's shockingly little information online.

chocolatey wrote: »
    I heard that dcu students receive two separate funds: hear assistance and also saf. Is trinity the same? There's shockingly little information online.

Well all HEAR students get their TAP cheques twice a year, and then for those who are in real financial trouble can also apply for the TAP SAF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Well all HEAR students get their TAP cheques twice a year, and then for those who are in real financial trouble can also apply for the TAP SAF

Just got an email saying that this year, there is only one ESF payment due to severe cuts to the budget etc.

• Advertisement

Just got an email saying that this year, there is only one ESF payment due to severe cuts to the budget etc.

Yeah it's well down on last year, very disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roughosing

Yeah it's well down on last year, very disappointed

Yeah I got the email too, €250 once off for an adjacent payment... Seems like not a lot at all, considering the amount of paper work needed and effort put in to retrieving documents over the last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Roughosing

Roughosing wrote: »
    Yeah I got the email too, €250 once off for an adjacent payment... Seems like not a lot at all, considering the amount of paper work needed and effort put in to retrieving documents over the last year...

And that will only cover costs of food and transport for at most 2 months, I say a laptop is very much out of the equation

Advertisement