Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suunto Ambit 2r watch

• 21-10-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Well A/R, its been a while. Hectic workload has kept my activity here and on the roads to a very limited level.
    A number of months after mentioning it here and looking for inout on which watch to go with, I splashed out on the Ambit 2r.
    I admit I was tempted by the flashy new garmin 920 and the Ambit3, but had to admit to myself that I don't need half of the features those watches have and if I do venture to the dark side of triathlon or back to adventure races, then I'll cope with what I have in the 2r.

First impressions are very good, it seems like a much sturdier build than my old timex or the garmins I've looked at.
    It also looks acceptable as a day to day watch, but still a little bit on the big side.

On to functionality and this is where it excels. The gps lock as mentioned by dcrainmaker in his review is stunningly quick, maxing at about 5 seconds so far from picking my sport and locking on both hrm and gps.
    The routes look accurate, hr looks good too but I'm really liking the cadence it gets from accelerometer.
    There's an ability to setup multiple sports on the watch and specify the fields you want displayed. You can have 10 to choose from on the watch at any time.
    I have running, trail, track, treadmill along with road cycling, mtb, circuit training and walking.
    You can also specify if you need gps or not in each sport so it won't attempt to pick them up when doing indoor sessions.

The battery also shows % left, so you get uswd to how much a run will drain it and know when to charge or not quite easily.

One downside so far is I haven't found a way to track my shoe mileage that I used to have in training peaks. I can manually export the files and upload to TP, but its not ideal.

Liking it so far after 10 days of ownership, will see how I get on wih it over the coming months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Coincidentally enough I picked up the Ambit 2S just over a fortnight ago and I've fallen in love with it's sturdy functionality myself. Regarding the shoe mileage thing, it's possible to easily sync Movescount with Strava so that each 'move' is uploaded to both. Strava allows you to add different shoes and keeps track of the mileage you've done in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

And oddly enough I'm eyeing the Ambit 2 as a possible upgrade from my 310xt. With the release of the Ambit 3 there should be some decent discounts around black-friday so I will be waiting to pounce.
    Training Peaks is good - but I prefer the classic interface - got an email today thet they are moving BETA to full release so not sure what the main effects will be.
    The manual upload isn't a deal breaker for me as I already have to do that - (Linux machine - no GC support so have to jump through hoops with a virtual XP running)
    I thought the ambit is recognised as a usb device so it should be possible to get the data that way? See THIS LINK for a nerdy workaround.

What's stalling me is there was a massive discount on Garmin last year of around 30% so the Fenix2 might come back into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

b.harte wrote: »
    What's stalling me is there was a massive discount on Garmin last year of around 30% so the Fenix2 might come back into play.

The Fenix2 is a great bit of kit. Possibly the only one that truly tempted me away from Polar. Have a look on the T/D/AR forum ShotgunMCOS got one recently and has been playing around with the settings.

Highly unlikely (but not improbable) that Garmin will repeat that deal as they came this close > < to losing their whole retail network in one fell swoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

AKW wrote: »
    The Fenix2 is a great bit of kit. Possibly the only one that truly tempted me away from Polar. Have a look on the T/D/AR forum ShotgunMCOS got one recently and has been playing around with the settings.

Highly unlikely (but not improbable) that Garmin will repeat that deal as they came this close > < to losing their whole retail network in one fell swoop.

Has the ability to be a great bit of kit, the newer GPS chip-sets have a tendency to go a bit haywire from time to time, here's a particularly bad GPS day a few weeks ago: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/609624889 For now I'll be hanging on to my 910 for target races, may consider the 920 later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I got a reply from suunto support re the tracking of shoes.
    There's an option to tag your moves with whatever custom tag you want, and having tried it out, doing this will allow me to see a summary of all moves for that tag which includes overall mileage.
    So you could use this for various shoes, bikes, tyres, etc.
    I don't have an option to account for mileage from before I had the Ambit, so it's a little limited.

I'll look into the strava synch and see if that works ok. According to a number of forums, there's potential for a Training Peaks synch up, but htat's been in the pipeline for a couple of years now without any definite timeline.

• Advertisement
Advertisement