Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me choose an SSD

Options
  • 11-10-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My parents PC just packed in it's second hard drive. I think it may be as a result of dust inside the case.

I replaced the last hard drive with a spinning one, but I guess I need to go down the SSD route now.

So can someone please review this SSD for me?

Crucial 256GB MX100 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5"
    €103.25
    9HH0_702597E6-1901-4D20-BD75-41766B1A341E_large.jpg

Also, can someone recommend where I can get a genuine copy of Win7 at a good price, preferably online so I can download it.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

A hard drive is a hermetically sealed unit, dust isn't getting in to the innards of it to do any damage, but if there was enough dust inside, it could impede site flew and increase temps, but I would expect a cpu to overheat in a hot case long before a hdd.

You can 100% guarantee that EVERY hard drive will fail sooner or later, it's only a question of when, with anything from 3-5 years being beginning of the end for consumer grade disks.

You might well find a drive lasting 10 years, but drive failure is basically a lottery and I've just RMA'd a 4tb drive that failed in under 12 months, so basically you really can't rely on a single disk for critical files.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either Crucial or Samsung SSD's, either will serve you well, although there are rumors that Samsung has a bit of a game changer in the works, so if you don't NEED it right now, it might be worth holding off for a couple of months as SSD prices should drop significantly if Samsung comes through.

Reddit software swap is the cheapest for genuine Windows keys these days, but you can download an iso image of any version odd Windows to burn to disk (or usb) directly from the Microsoft digital river site (Google it for links).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

vibe666 wrote: »
    Reddit software swap is the cheapest for genuine Windows keys these days

Reddit software "swap" was illegal and was closed down a month or two ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

as far as I know the Crucial MX100 range is the one to go for in regards to bang for buck and has replaced the 840 evo as the one to look out for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

unkel wrote: »
    Reddit software "swap" was illegal and was closed down a month or two ago :)

really? it was getting all sorts of mentions here for ages as the best place to get legit keys. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

vibe666 wrote: »
    really? it was getting all sorts of mentions here for ages as the best place to get legit keys. :eek:

Hasn't been closed down exactly, but they don't allow trading of MSDN and lots of other keys anymore.
    You can still do that though, just on a different subreddit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Advertisement