Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher Job Swop Thread

• 06-06-2009 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Thought we'd try this one out. It relies on a 'double coincidence of wants' and very amenable principals so the chances are slim but worth a try.

Keep it to 1 post only to keep the thread concise

State...
    • Where you are.
    • Where you want to go.
    • Subjects (if secondary).
    • When.

Then the rest by PM.

Good luck and don't forget to send us a PM postcard if it actually works!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Hi all,
    I'm getting this in very very early I know but I'm currently in a permanent teaching job in North Kildare and I'm looking to swap with someone preferably in Galway if at all possible for September 2015. A great school 30 mins outside Dublin City. If anyone might be interested or know someone else who might be let me know. Main subject area is business. To have maths or Irish as an add on would be a plus. Would be willing to swap for a year to begin with to see how we both get on if anyone is worried about swapping permanently! :D

Bumping this up. If anyone wants to swap this September I'm willing to do that too..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭new look

Hi I'm an RE & Music teacher with a permanent job in the North West looking to swap with someone in Louth/Meath/North Dublin. I've moved for family reasons to the east coast & am on the job hunt! Thought I'd put this out there! Thanks :).

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭roxychix

Hi permanent teacher looking to swap from dublin to north west sligo donegal or leitrim. Its mmainly english with junior cert irish and history. Moving for personal reasons l9vely school with lovely staff. Pm if anyone interested. Pref from sept 2015 at this stage. We can exchange for a year to see if it suits etc cheers:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi there

Teaching Maths and LS in an excellent school in Dublin 15
    I want to get back to my home county of Galway
    ASAP

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Corkteacher82

Hi there! I am a Primary Teacher in a permanent position in a school in Cork. Looking to do teacher exchange/ job swap for a change of scenery. Open to any county. Please feel free to message me for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Armelodie wrote: »
    Thought we'd try this one out. It relies on a 'double coincidence of wants' and very amenable principals so the chances are slim but worth a try out.

Keep it to 1 post only (no discussion on thread)

State...
    • Where you are.
    • Where you want to go.
    • Subjects (if secondary).
    • When.

Then the rest by PM only.

Good luck and don't forget to send me a PM postcard if it actually works!!
    Just out of curiosity, even if you want to swap, I can't imagine that employers would facilitate a swap. Has it ever happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

katydid wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, even if you want to swap, I can't imagine that employers would facilitate a swap. Has it ever happened?

I would also love to hear if a swap has ever even happened! I've actually spoken to my principal with whom I have a very good relationship with and she said she would be willing to facilitate such a swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

We were getting the odd few posts, so I decided to sticky them but don't know if it ever worked!

I wonder would it be more worth your while actually taking a personal day and traveling to schools in Galway or wherever and putting up a notice in the staffroom (if the receptionist will let you.. maybe ring before hand!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I would also love to hear if a swap has ever even happened! I've actually spoken to my principal with whom I have a very good relationship with and she said she would be willing to facilitate such a swap.
    Seems to depend on management, so. Probably different in non-ETB schools. I can't see a swap just happening, given that they've had to originally advertise and interview, and chosen the individual at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

It has happened...unfortunately never for me but I know of two post primary teachers who were able to swap. All up to the school's BOM, I doubt VECs would allow it, but other schools don't have a problem with it. The problem seems to be finding someone willing to do it! Why does everyone want too be in Galway anyway? Dublin rocks....come....let me prove it to you!! :P
    I also know of a primary school teacher who did it, there's actually forms to fill for that one from the dept before a certain date as far as I know. But it's only short term, up to 5 years. I'd imagine however after 5 years if both were happy and did a good job their new schools would keep them rather than hire again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

lemmno wrote: »
    It has happened...unfortunately never for me but I know of two post primary teachers who were able to swap. All up to the school's BOM, I doubt VECs would allow it, but other schools don't have a problem with it. The problem seems to be finding someone willing to do it! Why does everyone want too be in Galway anyway? Dublin rocks....come....let me prove it to you!! :P
    I also know of a primary school teacher who did it, there's actually forms to fill for that one from the dept before a certain date as far as I know. But it's only short term, up to 5 years. I'd imagine however after 5 years if both were happy and did a good job their new schools would keep them rather than hire again.

There was a four way teacher swap in KWETB this year asfaik? Pretty sure that's what I was told. All the teachers rotated by a school essentially. I think it was a practical subject but could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gaeilgeoir01

Hi there! I am a Primary Teacher in a permanent position in a school in Cork. Looking to do teacher exchange/ job swap for a change of scenery. Open to any county. Please feel free to message me for more details.

I'm interested in moving to a teaching position in Cork. I currently hold a permanent position in a school in Co. Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Galwayatheart

Hi everyone, I'm a permanent primary teacher in a school in Portlaoise and I'm looking to swap with someone in the Galway/Clare area if anyone is interested?! For September 2015, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

Hi Im looking to move to Donegal from Dublin if anybody would be interested to do a teacher exchange for September 2016 or September 2017 for primary school? Teachers have done the swop in my school before and it has worked out very well. So if anybody is interested please let me know thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

As far as I know, the applications for the Temporary Teacher exchange for primary teachers are closed. You have to apply in January. You would probably have to wait until next year to apply.

hi carpediem85,
    yeah I know when the closing date is I'm looking to move for September 2016 or 2017 I'm starting to look early as I know it will be difficult to find somebody. I didn't get a chance to see the register for 2015 so I don't know if anybody from Donegal wants to swap for this September. The register is now closed so you cant access it any more. Thanks for reply hopefully somebody is planning ahead like myself and would like to move to Dublin. :)

hockey21 wrote: »
    hi carpediem85,
    yeah I know when the closing date is I'm looking to move for September 2016 or 2017 I'm starting to look early as I know it will be difficult to find somebody. I didn't get a chance to see the register for 2015 so I don't know if anybody from Donegal wants to swap for this September. The register is now closed so you cant access it any more. Thanks for reply hopefully somebody is planning ahead like myself and would like to move to Dublin. :)

I was on it last year. I'm actually in the same boat as you, I want to move from Dublin to Donegal. Last year there was one teacher from Donegal who wanted to move to Dublin and about 15 the other way! I didn't bother using it this year as my sister who was on it told me there was no one who wanted to move from Donegal. Jobs in Donegal are as rare as hens teeth unfortunately and I know about 5 people who have given up permanent jobs in Dublin to start from scratch in Donegal again.

oh really :( yeah I dont know how we will do it but I think if you take a career break you can sub but how much subbing would you get now with the revised sick leave. yeah I wouldnt be resigning iv been teaching too long hopefully something will come up?? ill keep looking :(

oh really :( yeah I dont know how we will do it but I think if you take a career break you can sub but how much subbing would you get now with the revised sick leave. yeah I wouldnt be resigning iv been teaching too long hopefully something will come up?? ill keep looking :(

I'm the same. I'd be very reluctant to give up my post in Dublin. I'm actually on career break at the minute in Donegal. I'm going to try get some subbing before the summer and I'll be going around with my CVs in the next few weeks so I can let you know what the subbing situation is like, if you like. I'm probably leaving it a bit late in the year though.

What about if your school loses a permanent post and you took the place of the person going on the panel and then try transferring your panel rights to Donegal. That's another way of doing it. I know someone who got a permanent position in Donegal going this route

yeah i know about that but I was told you cannot transfer diocesan panel rights but if the bishop in Donegal allows it that would be great. I think its down to them in the end. We seem to be gaining children for the last few years and have taken on a few teachers but maybe in a year or two we could lose a teacher yeah I know that option that would be the most ideal. have you heard of any jobs coming up in any schools or is there just enough jobs for the panel?

• Advertisement

yeah i know about that but I was told you cannot transfer diocesan panel rights but if the bishop in Donegal allows it that would be great. I think its down to them in the end. We seem to be gaining children for the last few years and have taken on a few teachers but maybe in a year or two we could lose a teacher yeah I know that option that would be the most ideal. have you heard of any jobs coming up in any schools or is there just enough jobs for the panel?

I think the bishop up here is sound and will allow it, no bother. To be honest, I heard last year was the first year that they cleared both panels up here in quite a few years. The only jobs will be temporary but there were temporary jobs advertised up here until until December last year so if you're willing to take a temp job and hopefully get kept on the following year, you should be fine. I'm going to start applying for temporary posts this summer I think and see how I get on. I made the decision to stay at home with my child this school year but I'll try my luck in the summer :)

im sure you will get something eventually and theres probably a good bit of subbing. If i accept a temp job and leave my permanent job do I start at the bottom of the payscale again?

im sure you will get something eventually and theres probably a good bit of subbing. If i accept a temp job and leave my permanent job do I start at the bottom of the payscale again?

Not with a temporary job but if you have a break in service, you won't get paid extra the following year for the extra years experience, if you know what I mean.

ok but if i did not get a temp job the next year would i get panel rights or would i just be unemployed?

You would be unemployed, well you would go out subbing. I haven't been on the panel in a while but as far as I know, you need at least 3 years experience to get on the panel again. You'd be starting from scratch with the panel in Donegal, unless you had a permanent job.

yeah thats what i thought sure best of luck to you maybe something permanent will come up for you his Septmeber with all the retirements best of luck hopefully Ill get something in a few years thanks so much for your help :)

yeah thats what i thought sure best of luck to you maybe something permanent will come up for you his Septmeber with all the retirements best of luck hopefully Ill get something in a few years thanks so much for your help :)

The same to you! I hope it works out for us both ;)

hi carpediem85,
    I'm just wondering if you have had any luck with subbing in Donegal and do you know how the panel is going is it clearing quickly?

hi carpediem85,
    I'm just wondering if you have had any luck with subbing in Donegal and do you know how the panel is going is it clearing quickly?

Hello Hockey, I didn't get out to the schools yet as my daughter hasn't been well but I'm hoping to get out on Monday, all going well. I signed up for Textasub in Donegal last week and only got 3 messages but I'd say that's more because principals look for subs in the local area first.

The main panel is clearing well, only 2 left on it so that's good news. Once the main panel clears and they go down to the supplementary, I'd say the temporary jobs will be advertised very soon after.

Keep an eye out on the INTO website for panel updates.

• Advertisement

i think 3 messages is good when you think of all the other people who are also on text a sub :) yeah sure keep me posted on the subbing maybe you will hear of a job coming up for this Septmeber. yeah im always looking at into sight to c panels hopefully something will pop up for you soon hope your daughter is ok :)

Advertisement