Dealing off-site and off thread dealing - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

21-02-2012, 00:15   #1
wil

Dealing off-site and off thread dealing

What is boards/adverts current stance on these apparent rule infringements.
More and more I seem to be encountering items I am interested in suddenly going to Sold without any reply from seller or any apparent sale in-thread.
It used be the rule that if you were selling on boards, you only sold on boards.
Also used be an infringement to request seller to pm before sale agreed.
Either way it is obvious these rules are not being followed even by longterm users with 100% positive feedback.

Simple check on some items I was after showed the exact same ads appearing on rival (arborial) ad sites with contact numbers / addresses listed. Completely undermines the adverts.ie sales forum and as said, items become sold without on-thread dealing.
Once marked sold it is not possible to comment or query and the infraction seems to go unnoticed.

Is there any point in reporting these or is this considered par for the course? Is there active monitoring of this sort of activinty and warnings issued or is it only if an item is reported?

It used be fairly rule-abiding but of recent I'm beginning to feel like I might as well be banging my head against a Eucalyptus Adverticus
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 08:27   #2
BengaLover

I would safely say that a few people also sell on ebay or done deal too.
I wasnt aware of any rules saying that you cant sell off site, but if an offer is not made/accepted on an ad, then the seller isnt really breaking any rules by marking it as sold or withdrawn.
21-02-2012, 09:04   #3
Adverts.ie: Eddie
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil View Post
Is there any point in reporting these or is this considered par for the course? Is there active monitoring of this sort of activinty and warnings issued or is it only if an item is reported?
Please report these. We get many many reports on a daily basis and each and every one is looked at and actioned where necessary.

Regarding selling off-site, we realise that there are people who will sell on adverts as well as on other sites. That unfortunately is the world we live in and it is difficult to to insist on exclusivity. We have to find a balance, a happy medium.

Last edited by Adverts.ie: Eddie; 22-02-2012 at 09:50.
Thanks from:
22-02-2012, 01:19   #4
wil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaLover View Post
I would safely say that a few people also sell on ebay or done deal too.
I wasnt aware of any rules saying that you cant sell off site, but if an offer is not made/accepted on an ad, then the seller isnt really breaking any rules by marking it as sold or withdrawn.
Yes it used to be explicitly stated in the rules but cant see it stated in the revised version, and the wiki seems down but to paraphrase it said #If you are selling on boards then you are only selling on boards#
It is implied in the current rules though

"6. Seller’s commitments As a seller, you are committed:
- to complete the sale of your item(s) here on Adverts.ie if a member or members have expressed active, definite interest. ......."

If a sellers phone number for same item is on another site, people can just contact directly while the rest of us are wasting our time expecting a fair crack of the adverts whip.
24-02-2012, 10:01   #5
the groutch

another rule relaxed in the name of profits (via premium ads)
it's no wonder so many of the older members are going elsewhere.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-02-2012, 01:52   #6
wil

AhGroutch, Ye goode olde days.
Prithee relax, progress, tis all in aid of balance and a happy premium. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Forum Closed