Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Multiple apparitions reported in Egypt today

• 23-12-2009 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few friends who live in Egypt and there has been reports of apparitions of Mary for the past 2 weeks over a church close to the Nile. It was all over the news over there from what they've told me and it was witnessed by a few thousand people of all faiths.

There are a few videos recorded, some aren't very good quality but it is quite interesting nonetheless

A video recording the event

A talk show discussing the event (I'm aware its in arabic but the footage is a bit better)

Another video (NOTE at around 4:30 the apparition vanishes)

Now these are admittedly not great quality but camera phones are not exactly the most adept at capturing bright light against the night sky.

Now whats more interesting is that today on the 22nd of December, apparitions of the type were being reported all around the entire country across many churches. According to what I've been told (Hasn't hit the news yet as it only happened a few hours ago) the entire city was chaotic and the churches with reported apparitions were packed with people. People reported seeing doves accompanying each apparition.

No videos have been uploaded as of yet (I haven't found any yet anyway...) but there was a report that in one of the apparitions of Mary she was accompanied by a figure which appeared to be John the baptist who was on ground level with the observers and was visible for only a few seconds before vanishing.

All of this was recorded by many of the observers according to my friend, I expect there will be videos and pictures uploaded by tomorrow.

Whats your take on all this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

3rd video..

4:30 onwards play it in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Malty_T wrote: »
    3rd video..

4:30 onwards play it in slow motion.
    There appears to be a bright orange dot left behind for a split second. No idea what it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

At 4:30 it really does appear to me that somebody has turned off a bulb.
    Either that or St. Elmo's fire.

I doubt St.Elmo's fire would occur over many different churches a few days in a row and it wouldn't be white, blue and yellow either. That would be very unlikely.

I wouldn't think thats a bulb though. First of all from perspective it seems to be a good bit behind the dome and it appears very high off the dome (Which is a massive thing by itself). Not only that but to get a light that bright you would need something a lot more powerful than incandescent bulbs. Halogen bulbs slowly dim when the power is cut off, they don't just completely vanish. Not only that but according to what I've been told, the apparition was moving.
    It just doesn't appear to be a bulb.

I was thinking ball lightening* (esp with the cross in close proximity) but St Elmo (thought that was just volcanoes and plane through ash cloud guess you learn something new everyday:))? Who knows but was there really thunder or lightening in the vicinity?

*Don't think it remains stationary.

• Advertisement

I doubt St.Elmo's fire would occur over many different churches a few days in a row and it wouldn't be white, blue and yellow either.

Electrical phenomena are, however, ideal for Churchs because of the spire/crosses.
    Unfortunately it does just look like a bulb.

Electrical phenomena are, however, ideal for Churchs because of the spire/crosses.
    True but it would be a very unlikely coincedence for it to occur on many different churches all at the same time. The past 2 weeks there were apparitions at one church on the Nile.
    Not only that but there are far far more mosques in the country than churches and they are usually equally high if not usually higher than churches yet nothing was reported at any mosque.

Who knows but was there really thunder or lightening in the vicinity?

As far as I know, lightening strikes dont always follow St. Elmos. I believe St. Elmos fire is just the streamer that the ground sends off when there is an electrical unbalance in the air.
    It is only when the streamers connect with the electron "spirits" emmited from the clouds so we see the lightening bolt.

And they certainly do emit blue and white light, not sure about the yellow though.

As far as I know, lightening strikes dont always follow St. Elmos. I believe St. Elmos fire is just the streamer that the ground sends off when there is an electrical unbalance in the air.
    It is only when the streamers connect with the electron "spirits" emmited from the clouds so we see the lightening bolt.

And they certainly do emit blue and white light, not sure about the yellow though.

Cool. Yeah, I understand that lightening strikes don't always cause it but for such a long duration is it really possible without lightening.

Anyways here's a cool video of ball lightening hopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'd like to see better footage. I'll give a better opinion of it when I do.

Why is it when these "phenomena" occur no one has a half decent camera or a steady hand? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it does just look like a bulb.
    How would a bulb produce that appearance?

Theres a lot of things to dispute the idea that it could be a bulb.
    1. What type of bulb produces multicoloured light in a shape such as shown (It wasn't light which was witnessed, people at the church witnessed a detailed figure but we only have the videos to work with here).

2. If such a bulb existed how would it fade to a bright yellow dot at one point near the top of the figure. If it was indeed a bulb it must have been something such as halogen lighting which slowly dims as it loses power. Not only that but assuming that orange dot is indeed an aritificial light source of some kind would it not be not only too small to provide the power of light witnessed in the video but would the light not appear stronger near the top of the figure? The figure appears uniform in brightness.

3. If you note the position of the dot you will see that it is very high above the dome and appears quite a bit behind it. What kind of mount would it have that wouldn't have been noticed by the people?

Jako8 wrote: »
    I'd like to see better footage. I'll give a better opinion of it when I do.

Why is it when these "phenomena" occur no one has a half decent camera or a steady hand? :rolleyes:
    There isn't a messageboard which says Apparition at 8pm sharp - Don't be late ;)

Most people keep phones in their pockets and well thats what they used....

Halogen bulbs slowly dim when the power is cut off
    As did the image in the video.
    Not only that but there are far far more mosques in the country
    Minarets would keep their charge though, due to their spherical shape, No?

I could be totally wrong. My physics education stopped after the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

There isn't a messageboard which says Apparition at 8pm sharp - Don't be late ;)

Most people keep phones in their pockets and well thats what they used....
    Joe Coleman? ;)

Ahh I know :p But in this day and age when a lot of phones have quite good camera quality(good enough to record a decent video anyways).

As did the image in the video.

Minarets would keep their charge though, due to their spherical shape, No?

I could be totally wrong. My physics education stopped after the LC.
    The image in the video quickly snapped to a dot before vanishing. If you ever turned off a halogen spotlight you would notice it dims rather than "snaps" off.

Mosques have many domes, spires and other structures yet they did not have any light above it. Regardless it would be a very weird coincedence for electrical phenomena of this scale to occur at many different churches at the same time after 2 weeks of similar appearances.

There isn't a messageboard which says Apparition at 8pm sharp - Don't be late
    Wait till Joe Coleman gets a hold of this. :pac:
    What type of bulb produces multicoloured light in a shape such as shown
    None that I know of. However, there are many objects that can seperate the different colours of light based on their wavelengths.
    If such a bulb existed how would it fade to a bright yellow dot at one point
    Most bulbs share this characteristic.
    What kind of mount would it have that wouldn't have been noticed by the people?
    Well it is quite dark during these "apparitions" and unless it was a very heavy bulb I dont see why a discreet mount would not be able to be used.

I wonder how the St. Elmos fire disappears. Does it fade away?

Jako8 wrote: »
    Joe Coleman? ;)

Ahh I know :p But in this day and age when a lot of phones have quite good camera quality(good enough to record a decent video anyways).
    Yeah but remember again this is Egypt we are talking about. A huge amount of people buy chinese knock off phones (A lot of people have high end phones though, in some of the videos you can see people holding up iphones but then again there camera isn't exactly top notch either but thats for another thread ;))

Its overexposure which makes the details hard to see. If you have a camera with you right now that can support taking photos in negative colour try viewing the video in that and you might see more detail. I'll give it a try now myself.
    Edit: You can see a bit better in negative, but not much more detail.

The image in the video quickly snapped to a dot before vanishing. If you ever turned off a halogen spotlight you would notice it dims rather than "snaps" off.

Mosques have many domes, spires and other structures yet they did not have any light above it. Regardless it would be a very weird coincedence for electrical phenomena of this scale to occur at many different churches at the same time after 2 weeks of similar appearances.

I have a fancy theory on controlling the shape.
    A quick google found this video and hopefully the illustration should tell you something.

I'm guessing a projector would work too.:)

Hmm, Maybe but I doubt they could have used systems as complex as this around the country without anyone noticing anything.
    A projectors beam would be easily visible behind it. I don't think a few thousand people would have been fooled by a projector.

I guess when the videos of today's appearances are uploaded we can learn more.

I actually just found this, an apparition in broad daylight.
    If you look at the central pillar of the cross you will notice the light.

I often carry a halogen lamp with me when I am collecting coal from the bunker. When I turn it off it gets dark fairly quickly. There is a orange glow of it for two seconds max, very similar to what I saw in the video.

Domes will hold onto their charge. I have yet to see a mosque with a true spire. The spires on mosques are often decorated with ornaments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Those Egyptians trying to upstage us..

Sure it's no Holy stump of Rathkeale...
    stump_indo_358235t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Partyatmygaff what do you think it is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

You would be suprised what people would be fooled by...

Hmmm, Im going to be honest.
    That really just looks like the sun shining on a plate of steel or some other metal.

If only these apparitions were a bit clearer. Why can we never see mary's face in any of them?
    Why must she appear in a tree stump, or as the symptoms of solar retinopathy, or as a ball of multicoloured light? :confused:
    All Im asking for is one apparition where I can make out her face.
    Can you hear me up there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hmm, Maybe but I doubt they could have used systems as complex as this around the country without anyone noticing anything.
    A projectors beam would be easily visible behind it. I don't think a few thousand people would have been fooled by a projector.

I guess when the videos of today's appearances are uploaded we can learn more.

Eh. That's just a reflection of the sun isn't it?! Why doesn't Mary appear as herself? Why always a bright light or some other such nonsense that can generally be explained by something else, like the sun, or weather?

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Eh. That's just a reflection of the sun isn't it?! Why doesn't Mary appear as herself? Why always a bright light or some other such nonsense that can generally be explained by something else, like the sun, or weather?
    If it was a reflection would it not have affected the top portion of the cross aswell?

In any case, extremely bright lights and cameras do not go to well together. Its as if you took a digital camera and pointed it at a lightbulb, you wouldn't see the filament. All you would see is light. From what has been said, the people who were recording it did not just see light without form.

More pictures have been uploaded

242582604.jpg
    A photograph of the sheer amount of people at the church tooken from a nearby apartment by the look of the photo.

18124827.jpg
    Dove in flight in sky over church (Doves aren't nocturnal animals)

49318967.jpg
    More doves in a cross formation over the sky.

This is a video recorded yesterday in which a figure appearing to be John the Baptist was witnessed at ground level. At around 0:04 the figure disappears. The annotations in the video are in arabic and it points towards the area of the video that the figure is visible in.

Joe's definitely gonna be pissed.

If it was a reflection would it not have affected the top portion of the cross aswell?
    It looked like a piece of metal propped up against the cross.
    Dove in flight in sky over church (Doves aren't nocturnal animals)
    They aren't flourescent animals either. :pac:
    PHOTOSHOP
    At around 0:04 the figure disappears
    Ok cool, but when does the figure appear?
    And how does anyone know what John the Baptist looks like. Have you met him?
    Caravaggio and Da Vinci certainly had different opinions on his appearance.
    The same could be said for the Virgin Mary and Jesus.
    Its more likely that Jesus was a midget with dark skin and a bulging nose, typical of most of the palestinian population at that time.
    Its amazing how the west has continued to portray Jesus as an extremely tall man with a long slender nose and pale skin. The fact that most people readily accept that view is just as absurd. Would they not find a dark skinned Jesus fit to worship?

And I'm sure Mary looked like many other young women of her time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Its amazing how the west has continued to portray Jesus as an extremely tall man with a long slender nose and pale skin. The fact that most people readily accept that view is just as absurd. Would they not find a dark skinned Jesus fit to worship?

Let's not get into silly insinuations about racism. People all over the world, not just the West, have a tendency to think of Jesus in terms of their own culture and experiences.

19977_BlackJesus_Pg23_WEB.jpg

The early Roman Christians portrayed Jesus as clean-shaven and wearing a Roman tunic. I have seen portrayals of the crucifixion in China where Jesus looks more like the old man in the Karate Kid movie.

This is probably for similar reasons to why Kenneth Branagh does Shakespeare's plays with the cast in modern dress, or why many of the world's greatest painters chose to paint biblical themes with the characters dressed in contemporary clothing (even though they were well aware such clothing didn't exist in First Century Palestine). It stresses the fact that many people see Jesus as someone present with whom they can have a relationship, rather than a figure from long ago history.

So, it is fine to point out that Jesus probably looked like your typical Palestinian, but let's keep the racist connotations firmly in your pocket, OK?

Advertisement