Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Display Manager question

• 10-06-2015 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

At least I think it is the Display Manager I need to ask about.

I'm coming up with a student project that will involve a Linux server and a few Raspberry Pi's as thin clients.

I want the login banner like this:

vanilla.gif

displayed from the server onto the Raspberry Pi display. So the Raspberry Pi is logging into the server, not locally to the Raspbian OS. I presume I have to edit a config file on both machines, but I can't seem to figure out what I need to do.

I've tried various permutations of 'thin client' and 'remote XDM' and so on, but I can't seem to articulate for Google what I am trying to do.

Any pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Don't forget that X is a reversed (to what is normally expected) client-server.
    The system with your screen (the Pi) is the X-Server and the application you call is the client.

And you are correct xdm is the very basic window manager that looks like the image you posted. I haven't seen it in a while! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jimgoose wrote: »

No, that completely defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do. I don't want to remote control, I want everything to run on the server and display on the thin client through x-windows.

Also, I will most likely have 10-15 clients connecting at one time, so VNC is not suitable for the job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Are you looking for something like this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdmcp

croo wrote: »
    Don't forget that X is a reversed (to what is normally expected) client-server.
    The system with your screen (the Pi) is the X-Server and the application you call is the client.

Ah, it's all coming back to me now. It's literally been 15 years since I looked at this stuff. Just to add, this is what I am trying to do : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_terminal

Of course, back in my day, we used to call them X-terminals. Now you kids call them thin clients.
    croo wrote: »
    And you are correct xdm is the very basic window manager that looks like the image you posted. I haven't seen it in a while! :)

Yeah, it's been a while. Though I am not necessarily hung up on xdm, it can be any login screen from any display manager, as long as I can emulate the x-terminal/thin client concept.

I've just stumbled across xdmcp, that rings a bell.....

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    Are you looking for something like this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdmcp

Bingo. That looks like what I am looking for (as you can see from my previous post about 2 mins after yours).

Advertisement