Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iceweasel security question

Options
  • 22-05-2015 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

How secure is Iceweasel in comparison to Firefox? If you use Ubuntu, it comes with Firefox and it gets updated with each new version release. Iceweasel on Debian on the other hand remains at the same version. Is it as safe? Are there any reasons to be concerned? This is the one thing I have wondered since moving over to Debain fulltime.

I'm assuming security updates keep it up to scratch. I'm just wondering how much work is put into it after it being forked from Firefox. I'm assuming the situation is similar with Icedove. Anyone know the story here or have any links that would answer my questions? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Iceweasel, essentially, is Firefox with the branding removed, otherwise it's identical.
    I use it on Debian Wheezy and Jessie, also Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi, and see no problems. Debian are fairly particular about security.
    I also use Icedove on those same distributions and Thunderbird on Mint - no issues with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Walnutcracker

excollier wrote: »
    Iceweasel, essentially, is Firefox with the branding removed, otherwise it's identical.
    I use it on Debian Wheezy and Jessie, also Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi, and see no problems. Debian are fairly particular about security.
    I also use Icedove on those same distributions and Thunderbird on Mint - no issues with any of them.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that Debian are good with security. I suppose my question is, without newer versions, a la FF/TB, are all up to date security patches applied? Are Iceweasel and Icedove as secure as new versions of FF/TB? Cause they seem to be static releases.

Well I know that both have been upgraded on my two Debian installs in the last few days

Well I know that both have been upgraded on my two Debian installs in the last few days

I'm not sure that I have seen any updates for iceweasel on my system (jessie). My version is 31.7, while Firefox is currently at version 38.

I think Iceweasel has a different numbering to Firefox, it is a custom build after all.
    Anyway, I have no issues with them.

• Advertisement

I think Iceweasel has a different numbering to Firefox, it is a custom build after all.
    Anyway, I have no issues with them.

Do all security fixes from FF go to Iceweasel?

I would imagine so, the rebuild is only to remove FF branding really.

Advertisement