Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Combi-boiler pressure gauge reads 0. Is this a problem?

Options
  • 13-06-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Worcester Bosch 34CDi combi-boiler. As it's summer all I use my heating for is a warm shower in the morning. I just happened to look at the boiler yesterday and spotted the pressure gauge was reading 0 and it's probably been like this for a few weeks.

Ideally I'd like to raise up the pressure but I want to know if the low pressure might have caused any permanent damage to the boiler?

I tried to bring it up by turning the small screw beside the flexible pipe 90 degrees to the left and left it like that for 10 minutes, but it still remained at 0.

Is there something else I need to switch on to increase the water pressure to 1.5 bar or more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Post a picture of the valve you were turning and any other valves around .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Will do later today thanks

Pic attached

Here's a pic of the overall setup with previously-pictured valve on upper right.

The pressure gauge appears to read "1" now. Strange. It's still too low though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

In the first picture, the filling loop has a slot valve that needs to be opened with a flat head screw driver.
    Then on the other end of the loop facing the wall, there may be a 2nd slot to open.

Fill pressure to 1.3bar but I would be calling your RGI to investigate as to why your pressure is zero. Expansion vessel could be flat or there maybe a leak somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Pressure doesn't look to be at zero though.

Yep as I mentioned it's back up to 1. Strange

Incidentally when I'm bleeding the rads, and after turning the screw in the first pic 90 degrees to the left, do I leave it on in this position for the duration of the bleeding process, or do I interchangeably turn it left like this for a few minutes, turn it back to horizontal, bleed rad, then repeat turning it back to the left, etc?

One plumber told me to leave it "on" all the time, another told me to interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Are you bleeding rads often? (Just the way you phrased it makes it sound like you are, which would indicate a problem that needs rectifying)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Incidentally when I'm bleeding the rads, and after turning the screw in the first pic 90 degrees to the left, do I leave it on in this position for the duration of the bleeding process, or do I interchangeably turn it left like this for a few minutes, turn it back to horizontal, bleed rad, then repeat turning it back to the left, etc?

One plumber told me to leave it "on" all the time, another told me to interchange.

Anyone ?

• Advertisement

Answered in the DIY forum. Please close this thread. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement