Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2013

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

martinn123 wrote: »
    Apparently.

That's the key word. When push comes to shove, I'd be very surprised/shocked if LA official would sign/stamp anything (other than a prescribed form that is).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see in South Dublin CC the pool of potential certifiers has been expanded...

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/commencement-completion/guide-to-the-building-control-amendment-regulations-2014

...to include Registered Quantity Surveyors. :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wow that's some cock up

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Wow that's some cock up

Just fired them off a quick email to point out the error of their ways! :)

DOCARCH wrote: »

It's as if they are working off the first draft of SI80 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Has another piece of legislation caused as big a mess? Flipping disaster!

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Has another piece of legislation caused as big a mess? Flipping disaster!

I deleted 'has' and '?'...now it is a statement of fact (no question about it). :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I see in South Dublin CC the pool of potential certifiers has been expanded...

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/commencement-completion/guide-to-the-building-control-amendment-regulations-2014

...to include Registered Quantity Surveyors. :cool:
    Wow that's some cock up
    It's as if they are working off the first draft of SI80 ;)

I hear its got something to do with article 5 of the Act, that allows registered members of the SCSI to lodge?

I may have been misguided though :o

kceire wrote: »
    I hear its got something to do with article 5 of the Act, that allows registered members of the SCSI to lodge?

I may have been misguided though :o

There are 12 different types of surveyor who are/can be registered/chartered members of the SCSI, including Building Surveyoirs, Quantity Surveyors, Mineral Surveyors, Land Surveyors, Art & Antique Surveyors.

If an Art & Antique Surveyor can act as Design/Assigned Certifier I will eat my hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭mandy gall

Id say it's mahem in the DOE offices - thanks to Phil.

• Advertisement

I hear its got something to do with article 5 of the Act...

Checked this out. Part 5 of the 2007 Act soley relates to Building Surveyors. They are the only type of surveyor that can act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

Part 4 of the 2007 Act relates to Quantity Surveyors...they cannot act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

There are 12 different types of surveyor who are/can be registered/chartered members of the SCSI, including Building Surveyoirs, Quantity Surveyors, Mineral Surveyors, Land Surveyors, Art & Antique Surveyors.

If an Art & Antique Surveyor can act as Design/Assigned Certifier I will eat my hat!

But they mention, and i quote :
    •A Registered Building Surveyor
    •A Registered Quantity Surveyor

As far as I can see 'they' got it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

CIAT calls on Minister Hogan to resolve registration omission from the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014

http://www.ciat.org.uk/en/international/republic-of-ireland.cfm

thats exactly the error we are highlighting

Quantity surveyors were included when discussions began re the amendment... but they were quickly removed so that only part 5 surveyors ie 'Building' were included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Checked this out. Part 5 of the 2007 Act soley relates to Building Surveyors. They are the only type of surveyor that can act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

Part 4 of the 2007 Act relates to Quantity Surveyors...they cannot act as Design/Assigned Certifiers.

What about Building Control Surveyors, I have noticed that the act related to Building Surveyors but there is another beast called the Building Control Surveyor who essentially deals with wait for it Building Control (yes that's the same as the title of the Act.. Building Control Act!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

No6 wrote: »
    What about Building Control Surveyors, I have noticed that the act related to Building Surveyors but there is another beast called the Building Control Surveyor who essentially deals with wait for it Building Control (yes that's the same as the title of the Act.. Building Control Act!!)

have always wondered what qualifications are required to be a Building Control Officer? and how does that sit against those qualifications deemed fit to certify?

shane6977 wrote: »
    have always wondered what qualifications are required to be a Building Control Officer? and how does that sit against those qualifications deemed fit to certify?

a public service contract and some CPD courses.......

a public service contract and some CPD courses.......

I would take insult to that!

thats exactly the error we are highlighting

Quantity surveyors were included when discussions began re the amendment... but they were quickly removed so that only part 5 surveyors ie 'Building' were included.

My apologies. I obviously read the posts too quick. I get where he are coming from now.

• Advertisement

I would take insult to that!

My apologies kceire, No insult intended to those BCOs that are great at their job, it just happens that my local BCO is exactly the above.
    In Fifteen years working I have never seen him in a building site, not ever heard of a site visit by him to anything but a housing estate.

My apologies kceire, No insult intended to those BCOs that are great at their job, it just happens that my local BCO is exactly the above.
    In Fifteen years working I have never seen him in a building site, not ever heard of a site visit by him to anything but a housing estate.

Agh it was tongue in cheek anyway :p
    Where are you based Sydney?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I heard at one of the presentations with phased completions are acceptable under the new regs, but I can't see where such a procedure is outlined (it is Friday evening mind!). If, for example, you submit a commencement notice for 50 houses (those were the days), can you not occupy the first until the last is complete? Or is it 50 separate notices?

No6 wrote: »

Ask Phil Hogan! :pac:

Corkblowin wrote: »
    I heard at one of the presentations with phased completions are acceptable under the new regs, but I can't see where such a procedure is outlined (it is Friday evening mind!). If, for example, you submit a commencement notice for 50 houses (those were the days), can you not occupy the first until the last is complete? Or is it 50 separate notices?

You can still lodge one CN and state that the build is in 2 phases. We got one the other day for 147 houses :D

It was always my understanding that the council would release hold over individual houses for sales once contributions are paid.

So in your case for an easy example, 50 houses. Contributions owed of €50,000 (to make it easy).

Our contributions dept release houses on a paid for system, so 10 houses sold, the council get €10,000 and they issues compliance receipt for those 10 houses.

Don't know whether that comes across right in text, hope you can understand, as you say, it's Friday evening and I've a long neck of bulmers beside me :)

So do we envisage a situation where someone buys a newly built house, transfers funds to developer, but are precluded from occupying the house until the developer pays the contribution and the council in turn conclude the SI9 action?
    ... possibly 3-4 weeks procedure?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Do they not know that a quantity surveyor would never be onsite? we have a strict code of cleanliness, heated offices and only go to site to get some air. The taught of certifying would be hazardous to out health........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

kkelliher wrote: »
    Do they not know that a quantity surveyor would never be onsite? we have a strict code of cleanliness, heated offices and only go to site to get some air. The taught of certifying would be hazardous to out health........

Well at least you won't be submitting a "massively increased invoice".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well at least you won't be submitting a "massively increased invoice".

But I will. I am a rhino. Thick skinned and liable to charge anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

4Sticks wrote: »
    But I will. I am a rhino. Thick skinned and liable to charge anything.

To clarify, I have assumed you are actually one of those who will not be submitting any invoice, to this chaos. , ( my apologies if I am wrong ) .

It's hard to keep track of who actually has a dog in this fight, or who is still waiting for "Uncle Phil, " to let them play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement