Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

lividduck wrote: »
    "Would you pay a charge if you were unhappy with the service?" asks big Phil
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hogan-wont-pay-penthouse-charge-3067684.html

You cannot make this stuff up.
    "Would you pay a charge if you were unhappy with the service?" he asked.

true wrote: »
    Fix the bucket before you ask me to throw more water in to it.

Precisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bullseye1 wrote: »

LOL, "Big Phil" is comedy gold...unless this is an April Fools joke piece and if so, I'd say the sindo is taking a big risk as "Big Phil" could be in line for some easy cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

km79 wrote: »
    What were the final figures for amount of people who paid the charge ?

We don't know as they keep including people they havent got around to yet and waivers.

My best estimate of who's actually put their money where their mouth is is about 690k

Not good AT ALL for the gov

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

What were the final figures for amount of people who paid the charge ?

It looks to be around 771,000 not counting those that were posted and may arrive next week at some stage. Mine should be arriving in the post sometime around.....Oops!!!! :o Knew i forgot something this week :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

You're against isms yet you support the Irish system that is based on capitalism? There's no point discussing anything with hypocrites like you.

Equitable? Ireland? Yes, if you have money. Which is hardly equitable is it. If you want to move up the class structure you need expensive third level education. Without it you can't move up. Which is a way of keeping people where they're at. Equitable? Don't make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

Aaah i'm out dated with the last message, just cleared 800,000 people registered. Last minute panic.:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The Crab wrote: »
    I didn't go from 30k to 100k. I was making the point that other users think people on anything less than that are lazy. How dare anyone say all minimum wage workers are lazy. I know plenty on minimum wage who are very hard working but never got the chances in life.

To the user who says very few talented people would be left in the country. There are solutions to that problem.

I make no apologies for being extremist. I'm died in the wool communist. The sad thing is you don't realise your own extremities, naturally the opposite side to me but what you're basically suggesting is poor people equate to lazy people and deserve to struggle through life. That's extremist in any language.

If you read up on economics you'll realise the poor are worse off under policies you are recommending.

If we tax all incomes above 30k what are the consequences?

People don't bother setting up companies for a start, why risk it of there is no reward. So employment and production plummets. The quality of life would plummet too as basic goods would become scarce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

You're against isms yet you support the Irish system that is based on capitalism? There's no point discussing anything with hypocrites like you.

Equitable? Ireland? Yes, if you have money. Which is hardly equitable is it. If you want to move up the class structure you need expensive third level education. Without it you can't move up. Which is a way of keeping people where they're at. Equitable? Don't make me laugh.
    You have that many chips on your shoulder you should change your name to Borza or Burduck!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

This thread is incredibly monotonous. There is the ordinary decent folk and a bunch of eliteist nazis who think anyone with a euro less than them is a lazy scumbag. Its a good example of where Irish society has gone wrong, but its also just monotonous listening to their diatribe that anyone who is poor is that way because they're lazy scum. Boring and sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Eire sun wrote: »
    Aaah i'm out dated with the last message, just cleared 800,000 people registered. Last minute panic.:eek:
    So 50/50 more or less. Wonder will they end up now extending the deadline ....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

What part of 5.5k a month did you miss in my post?

And people who are in minimum wage jobs have something wrong with them? The user who posted that is a disgrace.

Apologies for misreading your post. I'd wrongly assumed that you thought someone contributing twice my annual wage to the exchequer was a paltry amount. 45% of what you earn is a big chunk, sure look at the thousands of posts on here going ape over 0.6% of minimum wage.
    In what way am I a disgrace, Mr Crab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This thread is incredibly monotonous. There is the ordinary decent folk and a bunch of eliteist nazis who think anyone with a euro less than them is a lazy scumbag. Its a good example of where Irish society has gone wrong, but its also just monotonous listening to their diatribe that anyone who is poor is that way because they're lazy scum. Boring and sick.

Similarly there are people who think anyone who earns a euro more than them should have to put every cent towards the lazy bastards who do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Well lads, they finally got to me. The pressure built up and I finally cracked at 11.59 last night.

I'VE PAID MY HOUSEHOLD CHARGE.

I feel dirty and used and really not proud, but sure what can you do?
    Sorry, tayto, rob,milkom, bill and everyone else but I'm one of them now.
    Pay your taxes you freeloaders.
    I'm off to get another shower cause I feel so dirty.
    Gerryo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Well lads, they finally got to me. The pressure built up and I finally cracked at 11.59 last night.

Gerryo.

Ffs, And I got burgled last night!

Then Gerry turns into a turn coat, this day couldn't get any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

So 50/50 more or less. Wonder will they end up now extending the deadline ....

I say that is what they will do. Give it till end of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Gerryo.
    April fools?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I worked damn hard using a pyramid scheme to pay for my house so why should i have to fork out more money because the banks gamble went to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Good one Pigsback!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

alastair wrote: »
    You have the same working hours, wages, conditions and holidays as me?

Well, my working hours and holidays are pretty standard (Mon-Fri, 9-5:30, with 25 days leave). And no €500m pot to claim "expenses" from during the year. Or the chance to be paid for not working for three months while moonlighting teaching foreign students.

Oh, BTW, while you're on I asked you questions hundreds of posts back which you've ducked answering. Maybe you might oblige this time around?

1. Do you think it is fair that the taxpayer is asked to continues to pay for the €400m a week currently being borrowed so that Public sector workers and Civil Servants can continue to enjoy their high wages and "entitlements"?

2. Do you think it is right that 160,000 households are exempt from a "household charge" when they can well afford to pay it?

3. Do you think it is right that a banker can receive remuneration of €823k per annum, when that bank is owned by a state which is practically bankrupt?

4. How long do you think this country will be allowed to borrow €400m A WEEK?

On the subject of waivers, I know of one one family in a council house. The house (built only in 1980) was renovated as it didn't "meet European standards" in 2002. Cost for the 200-home estate? €25m. Four people in this family are in full-time employment.

I also know of a young couple who are struggling under a mortgage (who didn't cost the state a cent to house) who are liable for the "household charge".

Personally, I might have paid if these people hadn't been exempted, but this reverse discrimination of the worst kind made the decision for me.

• Advertisement

shinny wrote: »
    Good one Pigsback!!
    Got that one earlier. Very good.:)

That's about it. The words "fair and equitable" keep getting bandied about regarding the "household" charge. It is far from it. Capitalism has a simple basic tenet: you succeed or you fail.

Unless you're a bank.

Bullseye1 wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hogan-wont-pay-penthouse-charge-3067684.html

Mr Hogan added that he was "annoyed" that details of the outstanding service charges had been obtained by this newspaper.

"I am entitled to a certain amount of privacy," he said, adding: "This has nothing to do with public services."

Sweet Jesus. Is this man for real? Unhappy with the service? From a Government which is borrowing €400m a week, while:

* closing wards in hospitals.

* paying nuts salaries to bankers.

* levying extra tax on the very people who can turn the economy around.

* paying 80% of the Education budget in salaries.

* paying 70% of the HSE budget in salaries

* hemorrhaging money as it it was going out of fashion in the SW system.

* keeping 2,500 people in Montrose when around 800 would do the same job.

And then has the balls to complain about "value and service"? FFS.

shinny wrote: »
    Good one Pigsback!!

Bargain alert. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Gerryo.

Well Gerryo

I was also contemplating the last-minute route, but what turned me altogether was Hogan saying that paying is the patriotic thing to do. So, by me not paying, am I less patriotic than You or the others? I don't know You, but You come across as a fair and decent human, so I think I am no less patriotic than You - yeah I regard myself as honest and decent, never been in trouble with the law other than speeding fines.

So hogan, You can go and shove whatever You regard as patriotism up your ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Well Gerryo

I was also contemplating the last-minute route, but what turned me altogether was Hogan saying that paying is the patriotic thing to do. So, by me not paying, am I less patriotic than You or the others? I don't know You, but You come across as a fair and decent human, so I think I am no less patriotic than You - yeah I regard myself as honest and decent, never been in trouble with the law other than speeding fines.

It would sicken ye, that patriotism rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Well Gerryo

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It would sicken ye, that patriotism rubbish.

Gerry the turn coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

Let the banks pay the house hold charge, technically the own the houses until the mortgage is paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0401/over-800-000-register-for-household-charge.html

Just read how much money they took from us.
    If that doesn't dishearten you, what will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Ghandee wrote: »
    Gerry the turn coat.

Ah feck off lads, you know what it's like.

Big phil is such a bully and that combined with alaistair looking down his nose at me and DV putting the pressure on with so many questions as answers left me with no option.

I'm gutted, but I just cracked under the strain.

Forgive me, I feel bad enough as it is.

On the plus side though I can now be as pious and as snide as alaistair and not feel bad at all.

Every cloud and all that.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement