Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you go to work today? Will you go tomorrow?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mark200 wrote: »
    I think too many people have been watching the UK news and saw some serious snow there. There was **** all here

I went in to college today. Walked for 30 minutes to the train station, and when I was coming home walked through that snow blizzard-like weather. It was annoying, but the snow was barely sticking....no excuse to not travel.
    No offense, but if that's all you had to do then you know absolutely nothing.

When you're driving at a snail's pace for fear of spinning out of control and causing an accident come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Imagine the colleges will be closed?

As far as I know they were all open today, and doubt that'll change tomorrow.

I'm in Trinity and there wasn't even a mention of any possibility of being closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Stamina issues?

No, more getting off on people worse than me who deserve it.

God bless them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Today wasn't too bad. I'd usually leave the house at 8.20 or 8.30 to be in for 9 but decided to log on and do a bit of work from home before leaving at 9.30. I was in work well before 10.
    Left early this afternoon and logged on again from home - just as well because it got bad again at 5.
    I still got my full day's work done but my job is good in that sense.

Tomorrow could be a different kettle of fish. Due to be down in Kildare but the trainer who is due to be working there may not even be in the country because he was stranded in England today!
    If that's the case and the weather is bad, I'll be working from home.

I guess jobs have changed a lot in recent years. There are many people who can comfortably do their job from home due to laptops, mobile phones, internet etc.
    On the other hand, there are others who must be in the office for the allocated hours.
    It's not really appropriate for one group to accuse another group of taking their jobs for granted though - for all they know the other group might actually be in a stronger position due to work flexibility as opposed to the strict regime of a 9-6 job in the office with regimented toilet breaks.

Different strokes etc....

I guess I'm lucky. A lot of my job brings me around the country, the rest of the time I'm in the office but my boss said "I really don't mind so long as you stick mainly to the core hours of 9-5 and you can work from home if you want - so long as you get your work done"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

When you're driving at a snail's pace for fear of spinning out of control and causing an accident come back to me.

+1 Scary drive home today...all 3 hours of it! I skidded twice and tyres couldnt grip the road properly in spots, theres not a chance im doing that again tomorrow if i dont have to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Word of advice to everyone who didn't go into work because of today's "snow". Don't move to the North American continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Heroditas

dsmythy wrote: »
    Word of advice to everyone who didn't go into work because of today's "snow". Don't move to the North American continent.

At least over there they are well used to it!
    We really do crumble whenever we get a couple of inches of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Had all intentions of going until I read this thread... Will see how bad it is in the morning...

Its coming down thick and fast though outside and I was nervous driving home tonight..

Yes I have sufficiently convinced myself enough.. Day off I reckon:P

dsmythy wrote: »
    Not exactly comparing like with like there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

LOL!! Today was the first day I wasnt grateful that i work from home! I had memories of praying for snow so that school would be cancelled :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

anniehoo wrote: »
    +1 Scary drive home today...all 3 hours of it! I skidded twice and tyres couldnt grip the road properly in spots, theres not a chance im doing that again tomorrow if i dont have to!

Radical idea coming in here, but.... is not driving an option? Where are the commutes to and from? I know a few bus routes were cancelled, but if you postively have to get to work and dricing is unsafe...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Had all intentions of going until I read this thread... Will see how bad it is in the morning...

Its coming down thick and fast though outside and I was nervous driving home tonight..

Yes I have sufficiently convinced myself enough.. Day off I reckon:P

It snowed a lot here ,loopy, but it didn't stick.:(
    Now it's raining.:mad:

/ bloody snow hardly ever sticks on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bus journeys would as dangerous, and as long. Reports on the commuting forum of celbridge bus taking 4 hours this evening. If you work outside Dublin city centre you'll probably need 2 buses too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Its looking more like Iceland here every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

hubbie still on road left sandyford at 6pm for Kilcullen. i doubt he will go in tomorrow. as i speak there is at least 6-7 inches of snow in the garden so i think a decent enough amount to be concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Dodge wrote: »
    Bus journeys would as dangerous, and as long. Reports on the commuting forum of celbridge bus taking 4 hours this evening. If you work outside Dublin city centre you'll probably need 2 buses too.

A lot, but not all, will have bus lanes that they'll be able to use

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Radical idea coming in here, but.... is not driving an option? Where are the commutes to and from? I know a few bus routes were cancelled, but if you postively have to get to work and dricing is unsafe...
    I don't really see the difference tbh. If driving is unsafe then it's unsafe whether you're in a car or a bus. Personally, if I had to get somewhere and had to use something with 4 wheels, then I'd rather drive myself.

But, I checked the dublin bus website anyway, if I wanted to get to work then I'd have to get a bus from Tallaght into town and then a bus/Luas from town to Sandyford, so that's not really an option for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Last time it was this bad it took about an hour to travel a mile and another half an hour to get back to the house. telecommuted for a while and went in after the logjam.

If all the housing estates wern't cul-de-sac's with choke points everwhere it would have been a doddle instead the typical muppets who don't know how to drive in snow turned it into a complete nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Anyone that would regard the smattering of snow this morning as a reason not to got to work is one awful work shy bugger. Admit you just couldn't be arsed and I'll say fair enough, your choice, but don't pretend you weren't able to or it wasn't safe!

humbert wrote: »
    Anyone that would regard the smattering of snow this morning as a reason not to got to work is one awful work shy bugger. Admit you just couldn't be arsed and I'll say fair enough, your choice, but don't pretend you weren't able to or it wasn't safe!
    You're right, it was completely safe. That's why thousands of people were left stranded in airports, planes are always cancelled when it's safe to fly. That's why I barely went past 2nd gear on the M50, that's why I could barely drive my car in a straight line, that's why I couldn't see more than 5 cars in front of me, that's why I saw the car back ended by a truck this morning. Yep, wasn't a bother on the road I tells ya.

• Advertisement

You're right, it was completely safe. That's why thousands of people were left stranded in airports, planes are always cancelled when it's safe to fly. That's why I barely went past 2nd gear on the M50, that's why I could barely drive my car in a straight line, that's why I couldn't see more than 5 cars in front of me, that's why I saw the car back ended by a truck this morning. Yep, wasn't a bother on the road I tells ya.

Were you flying your car in second gear down the M50 or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

I cycled in this morning. Applying a little common sense I managed to do it safely and with no incident.

Were you flying your car in second gear down the M50 or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

I cycled in this morning. Applying a little common sense I managed to do it safely and with no incident.
    So because you cycled to worked without falling off it's completely safe? Were you cycling a 2 tonne car or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

So because you cycled to worked without falling off it's completely safe? Were you cycling a 2 tonne car or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

The point is he or she made every effort rather than being a lazy fuk who thought the world owed them a living.
    IMO.

Once again I was applying a little common sense. Both a plane and a bicycle(and not a mountain bike in my case) are more susceptible to a slippy road than a car. Also there is more snow/ice on the less travelled part of the roads cyclists occupy and surely the m50 was gritted and with the amount of traffic, free of lying snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The morning wasn't too bad. But on my route home this evening (530-830), anybody cycling by choice would have been pretty daft, the conditions were extremely treacherous. I myself saw one lad come off a scooter, and he wasn't going fast.

I assume most people are not talking about bunking off work, rather working from home (me) or taking the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

God, I can't believe it here, there was barely 6 inches of snow and shops were closed, buses weren't running, and neither was the tube.
    It's friggin' underground. How can snow stop it?

God forbid, we lived in a country where it snowed all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

I live in the countryside, I'm sure most of you do, as you know not so many cars travel upon the roads in my area. I arrived home at lunchtime today and decided not to return purely because the roads I travelled on where a death trap.

I plan to work in the morning as I cannot afford to lose a days pay, though I realise there is going to even further snowfall thru out the night so it may be a bad decision to attempt to drive.

Where the hell are the local authorties clearing the roads when you need them, if you visit America, okay they get it on a regular basis thru winter and prepared, but nothing is left unturned the trucks are out clearing the roads every few minutes. It's a shame similar action isn't take at times like this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When I were lad blah blah blah, young un's dese days..dun't know dey're born

stovelid wrote: »
    The morning wasn't too bad. But on my route home this evening (530-830), anybody cycling by choice would have been pretty daft, the conditions were extremely treacherous. I myself saw one lad come off a scooter, and he wasn't going fast.

I assume most people are not talking about bunking off work, rather working from home (me) or taking the day off.

I don't know your route home but I cycled home around 18:10 and once again no problem. Well my hands were motherfucking cold but that just means I should buy some better gloves.

I do appreciate than some people will not adapt to the conditions and will have accidents. I also accept that that makes it more treacherous for the rest of us but I don't accept that that is reason enough to stay in bed.

• Advertisement

Once again I was applying a little common sense. Both a plane and a bicycle(and not a mountain bike in my case) are more susceptible to a slippy road than a car. Also there is more snow/ice on the less travelled part of the roads cyclists occupy and surely the m50 was gritted and with the amount of traffic, free of lying snow?

Common sense is great, but if you were cycling on a less travelled part of the road then you didn't show much common sense did you? Because in this weather you're more susceptible to slip and cause an accident, that's when you meet my two tonne car. TBH if I had of come across a cyclist on the road this morning I would have called them a fúcking idiot.

Surely you know what the M50 was like this morning? How could you possibly come to the conclusion that it's safe to drive if you didn't know such a simple thing?

Advertisement