Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Political Party

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

jamieek wrote: »
    Counties are not the cornerstone as such to my proposals. I believe that people from each county should be represented on a national level for their interests. If you read my proposal I propose having 26 councils one for each county. Each county can then elect councillor a and a mayor to work for them in their best interests as a county.
    I have read it and I don't understand why leitrim continues to exist in your model. Why not sligo-leitrim, why not a Shannon central County? Why are you persisting with imperial designed counties that are older than the constitution you claim needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jamieek

I have read it and I don't understand why leitrim continues to exist in your model. Why not sligo-leitrim, why not a Shannon central County? Why are you persisting with imperial designed counties that are older than the constitution you claim needs replacing

Because they are two different counties which inhabit people who have different needs and wants. Well if people want to vote on changing the boundaries of their counties, abolishing counties and it creating new ones then so be it. I'd allow them the opportunity to vote on such a motion. I am calling for a whole redesign if the country.

Why though should the people of Sligo decide who represents who the people of Leitrim and vice-versa. Sligo has a population twice the size of Leitrim meaning that the TD chosen to represent them on the national stage would always be Sligo's choice and in which case Leitrim may as well not exist or abstain from voting altogether as they'd never have voice to represent them.

Also why should Leitrim not exist. I'm sure if the people of Leitrim were giving the choice they'd choose to keep their county as it is and not amalgamate with another county/counties. I'm sure they are a proud people and want to stay just as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

One county one vote!

ezra_pound wrote: »
    One county one vote!

I don't believe this would be in the interests if anyone as it is unfair to the like of Dublin who has a population 42 times bigger than Leitrim. It isn't wholly representative of the choice and will of the people. That is why if the Seanad was retained it would have a one county one vote system, but the majority of senators would be elected on a national basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Also why should Leitrim not exist. I'm sure if the people of Leitrim were giving the choice they'd choose to keep their county as it is and not amalgamate with another county/counties. I'm sure they are a proud people and want to stay just as they are.

Because counties where designed hundreds of years ago and no longer represent the social, economic or development needs of the nation. If someone was designing local authorities in Ireland today and had no knowledge of the county system you can be sure none of the counties would exist as they are today

• Advertisement

Because counties where designed hundreds of years ago and no longer represent the social, economic or development needs of the nation. If someone was designing local authorities in Ireland today and had no knowledge of the county system you can be sure none of the counties would exist as they are today

This is a fair and valid point. Which is why I propose counties are given limited representation nationally and local government (councils) are given more powers to govern each county.

This is a fair and valid point. Which is why I propose counties are given limited representation nationally and local government (councils) are given more powers to govern each county.

What extra powers should local government be given?

Local government can be given extra powers at any time by the dail as needed.

Local government can be given extra powers at any time by the dail as needed.

But the Dail will never give them the powers they need as this would take away the TDs and ministers powers.

What extra powers should local government be given?

Everything that affects people on a local level.

• Advertisement

Everything that affects people on a local level.

Give one example.

Give one example.

Well we have IDA which does great work to being investment and jobs to Ireland. I would also propose that each county represent itself on trade missions to try and get investment into their county. This would be the job of the local councillor a.

Another proposal would be to hand over primary education to local councils. Thus allowing councils to run the schools independently and allowing the department to create a more unique and dynamic educational system allowing students to thrive.

If you have recommendations if be happy too hear them.

Also as instated in my op I am only after starting to work on this idea. I have not came up with exact and definite policies as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What is the fundamental question you wish to be answered ?

As I've stated in my opening remarks. I've only just begun working on this so not everything is necessarily set in stone as of yet. But I do absolutely believe in the system for elected representatives which I have outlined and will not change my position on that belief. I see it as the best way the people can be represented and their interests to be benefited in the best way.

What if people joined you and wanted to change your proposals?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why do all these terrible proposals get based on the county system, something which is at best barely adequate for the GAA (though you could argue its still terribly flawed in its use there).
    Why would you think 'lets modernise the system by running it on arbitary 17th century borders'?

What if people joined you and wanted to change your proposals?

If people wanted join me I would be absolutely pleased and happy with their decision to do so. Obviously with any new alliance there would be some differences. I would be open to constructive dialogue were issues and policies would be positively discussed. Obviously a compromise would have to be came too. I would be pretty strong though on my beliefs and fight hard for them.

There would be certain things that would absolutely not be able to be changed and are set in stone. I would be open to change for instance on equal rights for all people.

Why do all these terrible proposals get based on the county system, something which is at best barely adequate for the GAA (though you could argue its still terribly flawed in its use there).
    Why would you think 'lets modernise the system by running it on arbitary 17th century borders'?

You can't abolish counties. People would never vote for that. People are loyal to their counties and have a passionate love towards them. I would never in my life vote to abolish dublin I love it and have immense pride in my county. The abolishment of Dublin would bring me to tears.

If not have a county system what exactly would you propose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You can't abolish counties. People would never vote for that. People are loyal to their counties and have a passionate love towards them. I would never in my life vote to abolish dublin I love it and have immense pride in my county. The abolishment of Dublin would bring me to tears.

If not have a county system what exactly would you propose ?

Well, we have a system at the moment which (at Dail level anyway) has effectively abandoned the county system. Constituencies are cross county, mix of counties, 1 or 2 don't even have a county in their name (Dun Laoghaire).
    And the people have accepted that.

Re the bit in bold, I'm sorry to tell you Dublin County has already been abolished politically - split into 4 parts. I live in one of those parts, Fingal. And again the people have accepted that.

Well, we have a system at the moment which (at Dail level anyway) has effectively abandoned the county system. Constituencies are cross county, mix of counties, 1 or 2 don't even have a county in their name (Dun Laoghaire).
    And the people have accepted that.

Re the bit in bold, I'm sorry to tell you Dublin County has already been abolished politically - split into 4 parts. I live in one of those parts, Fingal. And again the people have accepted that.

The system in it's current form hasn't abolished counties which has been suggested. It just doesn't elect politicians on a county by county basis. There is a big difference between the two. I am not in favour of abolishing counties and I am not in favour of amalgamating counties either. I myself live in Dublin Bay North. The reason why the current system is in place is because TDs are elected on a constituency basis. I propose one TD per 90,000 constituents is elected and the remaining two-thirds of TDs are elected on a nation wide basis. All counties will have a minimum of 1 TD to represent them at national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I understand that the OP wants to make changes. I just don't understand specifically why the OP wants to make changes and what the OP thinks that the changes suggested will fix the problem.

Advertisement