Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hip Hop Gigs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Thankfully I didn't bother booking tickets and a flight over to England for the Wu Tang Clan because they're coming here on Sunday week.

Ghost, Raekwon, Masta Killa and GZA are going to be there. I'd like to see Method Man there as well but I can't be too choosy. We've been bypassed by almost every single artist of note for the last year or more (bar WTT) so I definitely won't be missing this concert.

It's on in the Button Factory.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180048E3B8992C1B?artistid=1732303&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I assume the button factory is over 18s yeah? If so i wont get to see them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Thankfully I didn't bother booking tickets and a flight over to England for the Wu Tang Clan because they're coming here on Sunday week.

Ghost, Raekwon, Masta Killa and GZA are going to be there. I'd like to see Method Man there as well but I can't be too choosy. We've been bypassed by almost every single artist of note for the last year or more (bar WTT) so I definitely won't be missing this concert.

It's on in the Button Factory.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180048E3B8992C1B?artistid=1732303&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=3

I was just about to do that, book work off and all. Delighted with this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

great, over 18s only, seriously not happy about that, I wanna see the Wu!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Can't believe i am getting the chance to see Ghostface live.I seen Raekwon last year in The Button Factory and i wasn't impressed,an awful gig.I'm sure this will be a lot better.Ghost is a pure legend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any of you going to see Snoop on Saturday? Also, Tyga supporting Nicki Minaj in the 02 in November, I wish he'd play a concert of his own over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Demonic-H

alright folks
    long time time lurker around here
    i had to get myself a ticket to this gig or id never forgive myself
    so anyway heres the pickle
    i was told my youth was over and forget about seeing "those rappers"
    or were over
    adios relationship WU for ever she doesnt know .
    so is it worth it ?
    and if anyone says its not the origanal line up f-uuuu
    im in my mid 30s and was robbed from any of these gigs for years

advice please

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Demonic-H wrote: »
    alright folks
    or were over
    so is it worth it ?

advice please

so you're basically being told you're not allowed listen to the music you like? hmm, what would the Wu do? why dont you ask Rae, Ghost, GZA and Masta while you're there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

alright folks
    or were over
    so is it worth it ?

advice please

Well if it was me in your shoes, it would be adios relationship. Though it wouldn't be because my bf dumped me for going to a rap concert. It would be because I dumped him for trying to be manipulative and controlling.

alright folks
    or were over
    so is it worth it ?

advice please

Tell that bitch she better protect her neck and get your ass down to that concert.

• Advertisement

alright folks
    or were over
    so is it worth it ?

advice please

If this is true and she's giving you an ultimatum over going to a gig, bin her. Immediately.

This has the potential to be one of the gigs of the year. MF DOOM, Madlib and Freddie Gibbs are playing in London on the 12th of October.

I doubt I have any chance of getting to it. I'll probably have lectures in college all that day. I'm gonna hold out for a Manchester gig. Would be much easier for me to get to.

Tickets are around the £25 mark.

The line up is:
    DOOM (live)
    Madlib (live Medicine Show)
    Jneiro Jarel (live)
    Dels (live)
    Jehst (live)
    KUTMAH (DJ Set)
    Illum Sphere (DJ Set)

http://drownedinsound.com/news/4145197-doom-madlib-freddie-gibbs-j-rocc-more-set-for-exclusive-london-show?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are playing The Academy on Sept. 19th. Tickets are on sale tomorrow. :)

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180048D5B41F232F?artistid=1175674&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=3

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are playing The Academy on Sept. 19th. Tickets are on sale tomorrow. :)

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180048D5B41F232F?artistid=1175674&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=3

Can't get into them at all, really mediocre

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

LUPE wrote: »
    Can't get into them at all, really mediocre

I quite like them and their last gig here was supposed to be excellent.
    alright folks
    or were over
    so is it worth it ?

advice please

Just go, simple.
    Rud wrote: »
    Can't believe i am getting the chance to see Ghostface live.I seen Raekwon last year in The Button Factory and i wasn't impressed,an awful gig.I'm sure this will be a lot better.Ghost is a pure legend!!

Ghostface was pretty bad live when I saw him. There was about 20 other hype men onstage performing different songs at the same time and never a song in full. Pretty messy.

But I would expect with the line up this time around that it will be cleaner and more organised. The last Wu gig here was supposed to be great, but Method Man was the one who kept the event going.

Not sure if this is allowed but <snip> it's not allowed </snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

so plenty of boardsies going to the wu sunday night ,
    nice one ,
    should be a cracker

Not sure if this is allowed but <snip> it's not allowed </snip>

Sorry about that, didn't mean any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fonda75

Found a few clips from their performance in London last night.

Meth didn't make an appearance. He didn't appear at the concert in Glasgow on Thursday either. Hopefully he's saving himself for tomorrow night.

Having said that I'd be more than happy with GZA, Ghost and the Chef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

Would be a good gig, but very short notice and ive bad tinnitus at the minute, ringing in ears, so a concert is off the cards till thats sorted, i seen raekwon last year was right at the front so was pretty good but right beside the speakers aswell, nearly blew my ears off haha

Hold on method man isnt even with them?? Ahh i knew something wasnt right

Cathal_91 wrote: »
    Would be a good gig, but very short notice and ive bad tinnitus at the minute, ringing in ears, so a concert is off the cards till thats sorted, i seen raekwon last year was right at the front so was pretty good but right beside the speakers aswell, nearly blew my ears off haha

I know a guy that plays in a band and he wears these modified ear plugs whenever he's in a music environment. He wears them is he's at a gig or if he's playing himself. Might be worth looking into it. Tinnitus is a dodgy thing, best staying away from a Wu Tang concert anyway. The bass alone will ruin you for life :p.
    Cathal_91 wrote: »
    Hold on method man isnt even with them?? Ahh i knew something wasnt right

I'm not sure. He's on the billing for all the UK concerts. Masta Killa is down as well and he hasn't made an appearance either.

Someone on Twitter said Meth and Masta were up in the hotel for the Glasgow gig. No idea if there's any truth in that. My money would be on Meth having not made the trip at all.

Just got off the phone with one of the lads at the Wu tang gig, sounds like the place is hopping! Could hear Da mystery of Chessboxin when he rang me.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Just home from it, was really good fun. Probably not as good as the Tripod show just because Meth wasn't there and he's a great showman, but it was really good. Certainly better than Raekwon last year, imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just heard that Childish Gambino has cancelled the upcoming gig.
    Childish Gambino Dublin show has been cancelled. His TV obligations were extended and the Dublin show won't go ahead. Currently no reschedule date is planned.

Source is GoldenPlec.ie

I really enjoyed the Wu gig. Managed to get right to the very front again. Shook hands with all three of the lads a good few times.

Thought the part where they invited people onstage was pretty cool. If I was more confident on the words I'd have gone up there. The two lads that got to go up were either side of me so I'd have probably been able to get up there. To be fair they didn't let themselves down. The lad on the right in particular was great. He was as mad as a bag of spiders, throwing shapes all over the shop. He nailed his verse though. Ghost looked scared and impressed with him at the same time :P.

I thought Ghost ran the show. He is my second favourite ever rapper and it was a privilege to finally see him live. Thank god he was there and didn't decide to take the night off.

I didn't know what to make of GZA. When he was on the mic he was brilliant. Hearing "Liquid Swords" live was amazing. When he wasn't on the mic though he just hung at the back and sipped champagne. I was disappointed that he didn't do his verse from 4th Chamber. It is his song after all.

Raekwon was very good. Looked like he ran out of steam at the end of it all though. Great to see him live as well. Would have given anything to hear his verse from "260", which is one of the greatest imo. Wasn't to be.

Ghost and Raekwon worked well together in between songs. GZA just sat back and got ****ed on the champagne.

Overall it was a great gig. The Irish lads on before were alright. Two were good and two weren't. One of the lads tried singing and it was embarrassing. He didn't hit a single note and just made a fool of himself really. Anyone have any ideas of what their names were? The guy in the grey Nike tracksuit with the shaved head was decent enough.

Still can't believe that I've gotten to see 5 legends in rap playing in Dublin in the last 5 weeks. Long may it continue.

Overall it was a great gig. The Irish lads on before were alright. Two were good and two weren't. One of the lads tried singing and it was embarrassing. He didn't hit a single note and just made a fool of himself really. Anyone have any ideas of what their names were? The guy in the grey Nike tracksuit with the shaved head was decent enough.

Shaved head was probably Lethal Dialect. GI is the other one of that bunch that is pretty good....taller skinny lad that says 'keep it lit' alot.
    Wasn't there myself last night but sounds like it was decent enough.

Grey tracksuit was Costello. The lad in the hat with the orange polo was GI, the other rapper (black tee) was 4Real and singer was Willa Lee.

GI for me is far better than the other two but Costello isn't bad to be fair. The thing with Willa Lee was he tried to get involved in every song, which given his distinctive voice didn't really work. He does sound good at times though, think Lethal Dialect's "Get to My Dreams"

Edit to give views on the WU:

Was alright for me. Thought they were going through the motions a bit. It was also one of those rap gigs where they do one verse then cut the song off just as you're getting into it, that does my head in at times. That said, letting the two lads on stage was unreal and like you say, fair play to the two lads, no pressure filling in for Meth and ODB :)

Grey tracksuit was Costello. The lad in the hat with the orange polo was GI, the other rapper (black tee) was 4Real and singer was Willa Lee.

GI for me is far better than the other two but Costello isn't bad to be fair. The thing with Willa Lee was he tried to get involved in every song, which given his distinctive voice didn't really work. He does sound good at times though, think Lethal Dialect's "Get to My Dreams"

Edit to give views on the WU:

Was alright for me. Thought they were going through the motions a bit. It was also one of those rap gigs where they do one verse then cut the song off just as you're getting into it, that does my head in at times. That said, letting the two lads on stage was unreal and like you say, fair play to the two lads, no pressure filling in for Meth and ODB :)

Thanks. I missed all the introductions cause I was outside.

Willa Lee was ok when he was just rapping like the rest. His performance fell way, way off when he tried to sing. I was actually talking to him before the performance in the toilet. I didn't believe him that he was singing.

I felt a bit sorry for 4Real. I've no idea if it was his first time performing or what but Costello and GI didn't let him get a word in on the few verses that he rapped. They took their role of hypemen a bit too seriously and ruined it for me. They'd have been best off just leaving him go at himself and then just fill in the odd time. What they did was ridiculous imo.

They were going through the motions a bit, but no more so than anyone else does really. Ghost went a bit OTT with his "ye are the best crowd we've seen on this tour" claim, but Raekwon seemed sincere enough when he was talking about his previous gig, even if it was shít from what I heard.

I had a look around there and they let a few fans come on stage to perform the verses. Lucky for them though that they nailed the verse or the crowd would have been on their backs :P.

Does anyone have a even a vague idea of the setlist? I can only remember a certain few songs being played. I've a few videos on my phone and I'm trying to match them to the songs but I'm lost. The quality is rubbish so that's not helping matters.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I missed all the introductions cause I was outside.

Willa Lee was ok when he was just rapping like the rest. His performance fell way, way off when he tried to sing. I was actually talking to him before the performance in the toilet. I didn't believe him that he was singing.

I felt a bit sorry for 4Real. I've no idea if it was his first time performing or what but Costello and GI didn't let him get a word in on the few verses that he rapped. They took their role of hypemen a bit too seriously and ruined it for me. They'd have been best off just leaving him go at himself and then just fill in the odd time. What they did was ridiculous imo.

They were going through the motions a bit, but no more so than anyone else does really. Ghost went a bit OTT with his "ye are the best crowd we've seen on this tour" claim, but Raekwon seemed sincere enough when he was talking about his previous gig, even if it was shít from what I heard.

I had a look around there and they let a few fans come on stage to perform the verses. Lucky for them though that they nailed the verse or the crowd would have been on their backs :P.

Does anyone have a even a vague idea of the setlist? I can only remember a certain few songs being played. I've a few videos on my phone and I'm trying to match them to the songs but I'm lost. The quality is rubbish so that's not helping matters.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for 4Real, he didn't have any sort of presence anyway. He stood in same spot on side of the stage for the whole thing, looking into the floor when he was doing his verses, wouldn't have made any odds if he wasn't there. And better if Willa Lee just stuck to when he had actual parts in a song instead of always getting involved.

As regards going through the motions, loads of rappers don't. Someone (maybe you) referred to Kanye and Jay-Z. Jay is the same age as these guys and he certainly doesn't go through the motions like Wu did last night. Saw Nas recently, he doesn't. They did have some very cool touches with the fans on stage and the lights out, lighters up bit but performance wise I wasn't overly impressed, they just didn't seem that pushed.

Don't get me wrong, I did have fun :)

Advertisement