Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

You'll bump into 1 after sens in anor londo, or there's the firekeeper just after queelag.

BTW i want this(shamelessly stolen from excaliburhc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

This one is fairly cool:
    894e7339299100f231e728b54f376be5.jpg
    Link

Not as cool as
    fig,black,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Lads, so can anyone give me a hand in this? The damn fire keeper is dead, who do I give those fire keeper souls to improve my Estes flasks. Cheers!

fire keeper in anor londo if you have got there ? if not don't use them as its definitely best to use to upgrader your flasks

if you have got to anor londo , in the main hall before the boss battle , if you are in human form, your controller will vibrate, now use the black orb to fight 3 (annoying) lads for you fire link firekeepers soul back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Tanked the 4 Kings to death yesterday eve with a Black Knight Halberd+5, Havel's Armor and Iron Flesh:). Got the Very Large Ember also. I need a fast and powerful weapon that doesn't eat too much stamina, what would be the best sword to upgrade to +15 for this?

The Demon Great Machete and Demon Great Axe are the two strongest STR weapons in the game due to their scaling. They can also be buffed which makes them insane but they are rather slow. They eat through poise however!

It's hard to find fast STR weapon. All the best are in the great weapon range so they are all rather slow. The claymore is probably the fastest of the decent STR weapons but compared to the Demon Great Machete the damage is way off.

My initial build is a STR one and it's fun as hell to load up on poise and smack everything about with the Demon Great Axe!

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    The Demon Great Machete and Demon Great Axe are the two strongest STR weapons in the game due to their scaling. They can also be buffed which makes them insane but they are rather slow. They eat through poise however!

It's hard to find fast STR weapon. All the best are in the great weapon range so they are all rather slow. The claymore is probably the fastest of the decent STR weapons but compared to the Demon Great Machete the damage is way off.

My initial build is a STR one and it's fun as hell to load up on poise and smack everything about with the Demon Great Axe!

The Large Club is also worth a shot in a STR build. Looking at 600 ATK similar to the other two mentioned. Also a chance of poison damage but not a realistic one. (The Great Club does more damage but I know there was some reason why I preferred the Large Club over it, I think it has a better strong attack)

If you plan on maybe building a high level character you could pump some souls into FAI and get the Grant. Unbelievable damage with the right build.

Yeah the grant is pretty nasty, got >50% knocked off my hp by it's special attack in a pvp match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Spent a good hour on this again today. Decided finally that PVP is bent.
    Won't happen but I'd love if From developed a game in a similar universe with no multiplayer, just an expanded hint/help system.
    I'd love to see how Dark Souls would play if there was only Medium to heavy armour and no spells/pyro. The combat is awesome but (just my opinion of course) its ruined by fast roll and the fact back stab is R1. If only the multiplayer had better netcode or something, I mean it makes no sense to build anything other than a quick backstab orientated character... its lame. Teleport backstab is both the most annoyingly fustrating thing ever and somehow a valid tactic O_o thats broken.
    Single player, or even single player with multiplayer summons is easily in my top 10 games of all time, once you add in the broken PVP I start to hate the games flaws.

Love the rants I do :pac:

Danonino. wrote: »
    Spent a good hour on this again today. Decided finally that PVP is bent.
    Won't happen but I'd love if From developed a game in a similar universe with no multiplayer, just an expanded hint/help system.
    I'd love to see how Dark Souls would play if there was only Medium to heavy armour and no spells/pyro. The combat is awesome but (just my opinion of course) its ruined by fast roll and the fact back stab is R1. If only the multiplayer had better netcode or something, I mean it makes no sense to build anything other than a quick backstab orientated character... its lame. Teleport backstab is both the most annoyingly fustrating thing ever and somehow a valid tactic O_o thats broken.
    Single player, or even single player with multiplayer summons is easily in my top 10 games of all time, once you add in the broken PVP I start to hate the games flaws.

Love the rants I do :pac:

While I do agree the netcode is terrible I don't think BS'ing is as bad as it is being made out. Yes BS'ing is an overused mechanic and it could have been handled much better but it is easily avoided also. Learning how to fight locked / unlocked on the fly helps massively as the majority of the time, keeping someone locked makes it so much easier for them to land a BS due to the ****ty netcode.

If I see someone who is clearly BS fishing I will swap to my spear, keep distance and poke him until he gets frustrated and starts R1 mashing which then becomes an easy win. If you are getting BS'ed constantly I would advise checking out some videos on youtube. There are some great videos that show how to land the different styles of BS but also how to avoid and counter them, taking into account lag aswell.

They helped me a huge amount when I started to get serious in the PvP side of things. Watch them then go to the forest and let yourself get invaded over and over and you will quickly learn how to counter most styles!

Edit: This guys channel has some good vids about it, check em out!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhantomEWGF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Yeah you can switch up the rings of course, I use the DWGR and the Wolf ring from time to time. I've never upgraded the painted guardian sword but it seems to combo well. I much prefer the balder side sword for a fast dex weapon but it is definitely used. If you like it's style you should definitely check out the Gold tracer from the DLC also, it's similar in style but faster and has even more combos!!

I stopped playing after beating the Tomb of the giants. Forgot about Rhea
    no wrath of the gods, damn Petrus
    . Heading towards this build now:
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=241227759213783789

• Advertisement

If you're using dmb and slb, it makes more sense to put points into faith, I'd also go for another attunement slot at least.

While I do agree the netcode is terrible I don't think BS'ing is as bad as it is being made out. Yes BS'ing is an overused mechanic and it could have been handled much better but it is easily avoided also. Learning how to fight locked / unlocked on the fly helps massively as the majority of the time, keeping someone locked makes it so much easier for them to land a BS due to the ****ty netcode.

If I see someone who is clearly BS fishing I will swap to my spear, keep distance and poke him until he gets frustrated and starts R1 mashing which then becomes an easy win. If you are getting BS'ed constantly I would advise checking out some videos on youtube. There are some great videos that show how to land the different styles of BS but also how to avoid and counter them, taking into account lag aswell.

They helped me a huge amount when I started to get serious in the PvP side of things. Watch them then go to the forest and let yourself get invaded over and over and you will quickly learn how to counter most styles!

Edit: This guys channel has some good vids about it, check em out!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhantomEWGF

His first video is everything I hate about PVP in dark souls, not swinging a weapon, just circle jerking and waiting for an opportunity to skip passed your opponent and get them in the back by manipulating the lock on system.

Backstabs really shouldn't do that much damage. Riposte should, you have successfully parried and if you mistime you lose health, but R1 from behind has nowhere near the risk/reward it should have. Backstab in its current state would be like having an instant half health Ultra in Street Fighter, but its an ambiguous crossup that when timed properly is unblockable... gah. I suppose its available to everyone though so it evens out a bit, but throw in hornet ring and it all gets a little too BS orientated. The rest of the videos I got some good info and tips from :)

I doubt I'll ever take the pvp part seriously as it looks like I wouldn't enjoy the end result :pac: Gonna stick with medium pve and sunbro summon builds I think :)

(bet I end up making a PVP build and putting hours into now :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finished the DLC tonight.

Bit disappointed I summoned for the last three fights (Artorias, Dragon and Manus).

Dragon fight seemed retarded to me. Manus was interesting although maybe a few too many one hitters for my liking.

On PVP have put too much into faith - god's wrath doing 800 damage with buffs. Great fun though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just started using my own magic build for Demon's Souls and it's really weird not being able to use most of the gear I used for my first character. Killing the Flamelurker with a few hits was immense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Just started using my own magic build for Demon's Souls and it's really weird not being able to use most of the gear I used for my first character. Killing the Flamelurker with a few hits was immense.
    Magic is almost broken in Demon's Souls, it can make some of the bosses a doddle. Warding plus Firestorm (is that what its called?) are a lethal combination! Being able to neck more mana potions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well, i just killed SIF. he was making me his bitch for about 8 times as i was trying to be a bit more agile, but then i just went all "come at me bro" style. kept distance with shield up, block few blows, get out of range etc. then jump in tickle that belly and out. then i kiulled him on second try with that tactic, though i did got him to 10-15% on that first try.
    So now when that is out of the way i am gone back to sens fortress. Its a fecking maze... and i got killed by a fecking CHEST! :pac: i know darksouls about killing you in all sort of horrible ways, but that was just fecking low...

i really find hard to find a replacement for Zweihander +10. damn thing just makes everyone cry! 1-2 hits mostly. i got serpant man greatsword and Demon great machate. i wonder if its worth for me getting 40str now for machete. or can i find something better? i got black knights halbert too, though i would like to stick to swords, or maybe even axes?

Trying to do a bit of Gravelording.

Only been successful twice so far (at bonfire in Tomb of the Giants) but the same guy both times and he was more than ready for me. My 800+ Wrath of the Gods was only doing 53 damage to him.

Trying it in the Duke's Archives now as I have not killed Seath yet and I read online that Gravelording works best in a world where you haven't killed the boss.

noodler wrote: »
    Trying to do a bit of Gravelording.

Only been successful twice so far (at bonfire in Tomb of the Giants) but the same guy both times and he was more than ready for me. My 800+ Wrath of the Gods was only doing 53 damage to him.

Trying it in the Duke's Archives now as I have not killed Seath yet and I read online that Gravelording works best in a world where you haven't killed the boss.

I tried a bit of gravelording, its fun but can take ages before you get invaded. I started a new game ages ago and before I even reached the Taurus demon I was gravelording :D

Its actually really easy to do a run through the catacombs avoiding everything, grabbing the eyes of death from behind the demon and legging it to the coffin. I honestly think it takes far too long to get someone to invade though, If someone dies from red mobs you should get an eye of death or force them to invade you or something.

I tried a bit of gravelording, its fun but can take ages before you get invaded. I started a new game ages ago and before I even reached the Taurus demon I was gravelording :D

Its actually really easy to do a run through the catacombs avoiding everything, grabbing the eyes of death from behind the demon and legging it to the coffin. I honestly think it takes far too long to get someone to invade though, If someone dies from red mobs you should get an eye of death or force them to invade you or something.

Ran out of eyes on my NG so went to my NG++ file.

I am in the Catacombs at the second bonfire by the bridge switch (up the ladder).

I have had lots of invasions but mostly reds rather than blues. A red and blue did team to get me down from my spot using a pair of Dragon Bows though

So very few spirits of vengence (bluies so far).

EDIT: When Darkwraiths invade me (when I am GraveLording), is it possible to know if they used the red eye or if they used my summon?

Its actually really easy to do a run through the catacombs avoiding everything, grabbing the eyes of death from behind the demon and legging it to the coffin.

Think I'll try that 2m because of this!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61713531

• Advertisement

Well lads. Progress tonight. I finally Man'ed the feck up and went deeper in to Sen's fortress. Got lots of new weapons, but still my old trusty "slaposword" is best. I am training 40str now so I can use demon machete.
    So I killed iron golem, he was piss easy I have to say. One shoted him. Now I am in that new place and it is quite a dn change. Still 2 shooting those big bastards, but can be a bit tricky to land a blow on them.

So few questions:

Is there any point exploring more of a dark wood? Honestly I just ran in killed Sif and fecked off.
    Any vendors or blacksmith above in that alor place? Or maybe some short cut to get back to blacksmith in front of gate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

penev10 wrote: »
    Magic is almost broken in Demon's Souls, it can make some of the bosses a doddle. Warding plus Firestorm (is that what its called?) are a lethal combination! Being able to neck more mana potions too!

All the speedruns I've seen certainly give that impression. Is it the same with Dark Souls? All the same, a different approach is nice as it forces you to play the game differently.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I give up on the pvp, I'd one guy giving out about a dex/faith build now apparently according to another guy you can't use dmb in pvp too. Gave out about the bss so I switched to a pike, dmb'd and the whining continued.

I've been spamming God's Wrath all day and haven't gotten one complaint.

Is this on 360?

I have never gotten a PM from anyone on the PS3 after a PvP - win or lose.

On the PC which surprised me, thought they'd be cooler, I see them bitching about even rolling on the gamefaqs ps3 forum. Its like bloody bf3 again, every weapon is a noob weapon. Wish the dude had bumped into the guy I met earlier in full havels gear with slb on dragon tooth and pursuers, I was proud of that win. Actually had another guy giving out because I did not wear matching armour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I would feed off their anger. I almost feel offended if I beat someone and don't get a bitchy pm :)

The PVP is so laggy I don't know how anyone takes it seriously.

penev10 wrote: »
    The PVP is so laggy I don't know how anyone takes it seriously.

+1 on this. last night i got invaded by someone in heavy armor and huge 2hander. i was holding back well, but then he just teleported behind me and stabed me. good game....

meh pvp thing. i still like idea of someone invading me, but i am just way to busy with pve :D

Discovered a really cheap trick last night, hidden body seems to lag the feck out of spells as in you'd register a hit before or after doing a visually perfect dodge. Bumped into the same guy 3 times and was doing well until he'd cast hidden body, then there was no hope of dodging magic.

• Advertisement

Well lads. Progress tonight. I finally Man'ed the feck up and went deeper in to Sen's fortress. Got lots of new weapons, but still my old trusty "slaposword" is best. I am training 40str now so I can use demon machete.
    So I killed iron golem, he was piss easy I have to say. One shoted him. Now I am in that new place and it is quite a dn change. Still 2 shooting those big bastards, but can be a bit tricky to land a blow on them.

So few questions:

Is there any point exploring more of a dark wood? Honestly I just ran in killed Sif and fecked off.
    Any vendors or blacksmith above in that alor place? Or maybe some short cut to get back to blacksmith in front of gate?

You are finished in Darkroot for the most part if you killed both the Moonlight butterfly and Sif. You can join the pvp covenant there if you fancy and you will need to take a trip to the lower areas with the Hydra for the DLC but that's about it!

There's a blacksmith in Anor Londo, he's near the entrance to the Boss area. Also let us know how you get on with the Boss!! :-+pac:
    I give up on the pvp, I'd one guy giving out about a dex/faith build now apparently according to another guy you can't use dmb in pvp too. Gave out about the bss so I switched to a pike, dmb'd and the whining continued.

Yeah there's a certain section of the pvp community which is just hilarious alright. It's really just the try hards who can't take being beaten!

Just the other night I was invading in Oolacile Township and a guy in full Giants with a grant was standing behind the spawn. He cast tranquil walk as soon as I spawned and proceeded to try stun lock me but I managed to land a WotG and stagger him and chain him so he backed off. He came back in and I tanked a hit or two just as tranquil wore off and I managed to get out with very little health so I used great heal to heal up and proceeded to make a joke of him. The best part? He actually sent me a message calling me a "no-skill scrub" for healing up! :P

That was by far the worst I've come across but I've had my fair share of idiots!

Advertisement