Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shatter resigns

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Sully wrote: »
    Wouldn't go that far. I don't mind the Wallace case as much. It's a bit rich for Wallace to demand he resign for breaking the law when Wallace himself broke far more serious laws.

You honestly think he was right to hang fast through numerous controversies???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

bajer101 wrote: »
    Paddy Power has Charlie Flanagan at 5/6 favourite. Frances Fitzgerald is 15/8. Varadkar is 3/1 and Coveney is 9/1.

Charlie Flanagan will shut down GSOC and bring back the heavy gang, what is needed is a reformer not another Paddy Cooney!

Sully wrote: »
    Wouldn't go that far. I don't mind the Wallace case as much. It's a bit rich for Wallace to demand he resign for breaking the law when Wallace himself broke far more serious laws.

On a point of fact, Wallace has never been charged or convicted of breaking the law.
    A company (Limited liability) he owned failed to vat due to the Revenue Commissioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Paddy Power has Charlie Flanagan at 5/6 favourite. Frances Fitzgerald is 15/8. Varadkar is 3/1 and Coveney is 9/1.

Jesus what a choice,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

tis a desperate state of affairs that the people of Ireland let this fcuker continue in the job for this long!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

On a point of fact, Wallace has never been charged or convicted of breaking the law.
    A company (Limited liability) he owned failed to vat due to the Revenue Commissioners.

He personally, as a Director, was charged and found guilty of failing to pay pension contributions for some of the staff of M&J Wallace:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1205/309498-wallacem/:
    Mr Wallace pleaded guilty to five charges of deducting pension contributions and failing to pay them in the Construction Workers Pension Scheme between January and May 2008. He was fined €1,000 for each of the first four charges and €3,000 for the final count.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/indebted-independent-td-mick-wallace-promises-to-pay-staff-pension-arrears-26780852.html:
    As well as the company, Mr Wallace is being prosecuted by the Pensions Board in his personal capacity as a director of M&J Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

Delighted he is gone. Pure arrogance in the way he has conducted himself while in office.

Personally I cant see Charlie Flanagan getting it, he also sided against Enda in the leadership vote a few years back and I cant imagine that will be forgotten. It is also a fairly high profile ministry for someone to just come in to. I'd like to see Varadkar get it but I am dubious about that too. Tomorrow and Friday will be very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

phutyle wrote: »
    He personally, as a Director, was charged and found guilty of failing to pay pension contributions for some of the staff of M&J Wallace:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1205/309498-wallacem/:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/indebted-independent-td-mick-wallace-promises-to-pay-staff-pension-arrears-26780852.html:

I don't have a big problem with Wallace about this. His company was going bang and he tried to keep it going. There was no real criminal intent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It could be said there was no really criminal intent with the various Bankers, yet their attitude contributed to the state the country is in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Manach wrote: »
    It could be said there was no really criminal intent with the various Bankers, yet their attitude contributed to the state the country is in today.

There probably was no criminal intent by any of the bankers. They were just trying to save a system. Handy targets though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

token56 wrote: »
    Delighted he is gone. Pure arrogance in the way he has conducted himself while in office.

Personally I cant see Charlie Flanagan getting it, he also sided against Enda in the leadership vote a few years back and I cant imagine that will be forgotten. It is also a fairly high profile ministry for someone to just come in to. I'd like to see Varadkar get it but I am dubious about that too. Tomorrow and Friday will be very interesting indeed.

The man was an excellent reforming Minister with a very well tuned legal brain.

Arrogance ? Sure ...that was a failing of his ...but his real failing was not realising that the tolerance of the Irish people to shoddy nod and wink ...golden circles and incompetent public service has reached a new low.

Like the senior garda who produced the original "nothing to see here" report....probably will retire on a very handsome pension thank you very much.

Any of the above potential candidates except Varadker would be old school and tolerate the old nod and wink sweep it under the carpet stuff.

Who will sort out the cops ?...pretty clear that they are rotten to the core in some areas with the same middle management incompetence endemic in the public service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

There probably was no criminal intent by any of the bankers. They were just trying to save a system. Handy targets though.

very handy targets ...just aim at their wallets....can't miss !

Yes the greedy avaricious grasping amoral scummers were just trying to "save a system".

But....hey...no criminal intent.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    The man was an excellent reforming Minister with a very well tuned legal .

He broke the law live on tv , that does not indicate a very well tuned legal mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    Who will sort out the cops ?...

An impossible task, when you think about it. Probably most police forces in the world have a level of corruption running through it. Ours is not the worst, but we're far from the best too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Struggling to remember the last time a Minister was forced to resign in disgrace (as opposed to the Noel Dempsey-type resignations of the last govt) ... Any ideas?

I've heard a lot of this since yesterday and cannot decide if it shows how people just beleive a populist view in the face of facts or it's something else.

Off the top of my head:

Phil Hogan
    Willie O'Dea
    Michael Lowry
    Jim McDaid
    Bobby Molloy

and of course Bertie as Taoiseach

Thougn I suppoose you could argue about "forced to resign in disgrace"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I wonder will Enda do a bit of extra reshuffling, at least of Fine Gael portfolios, thus avoiding Labour's calls for switching ministries in the forthcoming reshuffle - i.e. a Fine Gael reshuffle now, and a Labour + juniors reshuffle later?

Coveney -> Justice;
    Varadkar -> Health;
    Deenehan -> Agriculture
    James Reilly -> Environment, if Phil goes to Europe
    Junior/newbie -> Arts/Heritage.

We'll know soon enough anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Shows you how good a leader Enda Kenny is. Kept defending his MInister time after time. Not saying he should throw everyone out at the first sign of an issue but really it was problem after problem with Dept. of Justice. Hugely important dept. considering it is responsible for the security of this Country.

Mr Kennys position should also be called into question and Labour are sleep walking agin through the whole thing like we've seen with all other small players in coalition parties.

ectoraige wrote: »
    I wonder will Enda do a bit of extra reshuffling, at least of Fine Gael portfolios, thus avoiding Labour's calls for switching ministries in the forthcoming reshuffle - i.e. a Fine Gael reshuffle now, and a Labour + juniors reshuffle later?

Coveney -> Justice;
    Varadkar -> Health;
    Deenehan -> Agriculture
    James Reilly -> Environment, if Phil goes to Europe
    Junior/newbie -> Arts/Heritage.

We'll know soon enough anyhow.
    Varadker has made it very clear that he neither wants nor would accept health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Oh, I missed that, when did he say that? I'd thought for some time that sending him to Angola would be his eventual reward for being a popular thorn in Enda's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

what's he gonna do if given health...quit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't have a big problem with Wallace about this. His company was going bang and he tried to keep it going. There was no real criminal intent.

Tried to keep it going by stealing from the taxpayer, and yes making a false declaration of VAT is most certainly a crime.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Twickers

Don't know if I am missing something but if Shatter broke the Data Protection Laws, why hasn't he been prosecuted ??

Advertisement