Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

slashdot pickup

• 25-02-2003 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

slashdot just picked us up on this story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

goodbye boards (for a couple of days at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GavinS

Tis good to see it though! :)

Hey i got there before you

:p

LOL

Oh and I put the story here

And yet the story has yet to really figure in the Irish media - they are all asleep except for Karlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 corley

Local radio around the country is running with the story.
    The ICCL office has already done several interviews this
    morning. Hopefully, this means the story will hit a wider and
    more regional audience (which is good for putting pressure on
    policticans) than it has prior to this.

I haven't heard it yet reported Corley - but at least its getting on local radio at least - I just hope people listening understand the full implications of data retention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ok im just posting here so say i posted here, no seriously this nonsence has to stop. `fight the powah etc. hello slashdot ppl

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by zenith
    goodbye boards (for a couple of days at least)

Bring it on... We've survived the worst of the onslaught (and boosted out record for most people on Boards :) ).

So far so good, no reboots or restarts.... Go Regi! (Now with added Ecksor!)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm missing the point here. Are slashdot some kind of threat to boards?

Off topic: this is my 1000th post. Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The sheer volume of click-thru's from a story featured on the slashdot index page will have increased the load on the server.

Hence the worries about problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

oh, okay.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Being on the front page of /. can lead to so many referrals that lesser servers often just implode :)

Certainly perked up an otherwise boring morning in the office :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Will the Atari Jaguar option in Polls now be changed to Cowboy Neal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

The Slashdot surge also led to a word burst for the 12 hours following the top story on Slashdot. That could generate another hundred visitors which is barely noticeable on the server logs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Lord save us from bloggers.

adam

Advertisement