Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lance Spitzner (again)

• 19-02-2003 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I haven't got all the details on it yet, but basically, next Wednesday (the 26th Feb) he will be giving a talk in TCD for netsoc.

I believe it's because he was supposed to speak to netsoc last year sometime but there was some sort of mix up. Anyway he'll be in Dublin next week as a keynote speaker for NITES (National IT and E-security Summit).

I'll post up full details when I know them, but I'm sure it'll be alot less then the cost of going to NITES. I reckon he'll be talking about honeynets and stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Typical, it would have to on at the same time as the ISSA Ireland public meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

yeah i read some of his articles on honeypots etc..

http://www.spitzner.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

[LANCE SPITZNER TALK]

"Tracking Hackers with Honeypots"

'Lance Spitzner is a geek who constantly plays with computers, especially
    network security. He loves security because it is a constantly changing
    environment, your job is to do battle with the bad guys. His passion is
    researching honeypot technologies and using them to learn more about the
    enemy. He is founder of the Honeynet Project, moderator of the honeypot
    maillist, author of Honeypots: Tracking Hackers, co-author of Know Your Enemy
    and author of several whitepapers. He has also spoken at various conferences
    and organizations, including Blackhat, SANS, CanSecWest, the Pentagon, NSA,
    the FBI Academy, JTF-CNO, the President's Advisory Board, the Army War
    College, the Department of Justice, and Navy War College. He is a Senior
    Security Architect for Sun Microsystems Inc.'

We are delighted to announce that Mr. Spitzner will be giving a talk to Netsoc
    next Wednesday 26th February. This really is a must-see event, especially to those
    who were disappointed when his planned talk to Netsoc last year fell through at
    the 11th hour. The talk, entitled 'Tracking Hackers with Honeypots' should
    appeal to crypto-kids, security managers and wannabe hackers alike.

Lance is also talking at the National IT and e-Security Summit (NITES),
    admission to which would cost up to EUR780.45. The Netsoc Talk? Free! (Free to
    Netsoc & Intersocs members, and membership is available on the door for EUR1
    (TCD) and EUR3 (general public).)

With a surprise guest beforehand and discussion and drinks after, this is
    definitely one NOT to miss.

Date: Wednesday 26th March
    Time: 19:00
    Location: Edmund Burke Theatre, Arts Block 1008, Trinity College Dublin

More Info:
    http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/events/0203/spitzner.php
    http://www.spitzner.net/

As for the ISSA thing, it's at 6pm so *hopefully* it should be doable to make both of them. That's what I'm planning on trying anyway.

Even though it says 7 on the official blurb, it's normally more like 7:30 at best when it comes to netsoc talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Thanks for bringing that detailed information to our attention spod, we might have missed it if you had not. I am sure lots of people would really like to get to it.

Best Regards

The thing with honeypots apart from actually keeping out unwanted intruders etc..

it actually might lead to admins becoming even more complacement and careless then they actually are (is that possible?), theres no real point unless the data is used to good effect.

While alot of companies are jumping for it, it will make the attacker smarter, thats not to say don't have preventative measures but not to sole rely on honeypots.

As long as companies don't start enticing people in to try and horde their knowlege by saying its full of secrets but really isn't and then try and prosecute after, sorry lads but thats entrapment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

"Don't rely on it" could be applied to every security technique or product out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by theciscokid
    it actually might lead to admins becoming even more complacement and careless then they actually are (is that possible?), theres no real point unless the data is used to good effect.

Heya Buddie

I would not agree that it might lead admins to be "careless" actually I dont get that sentance :) its been a long day.

I dont know why companys would use it as a defense tatic, honey nets are good for recording information, recording attack historys and patterns etc.. yes, there are also various other uses for them of coarse.

There are a lot of people who know how to use honeynets for a lot more versatile manner. Hackers/reseachers have been know to set servers up in such a manner as to prevoke a certain attack for a certain unreleased even vulnerability and in return get access to valuble log files and recovered code by the attacker.

You may be thinking to yourself one server wouldnt get jack **** but some kid from the middle east with a nice mass rootkit jacking boxes for 24 hours and posting links in the right places would get a hell of a lot of systems to work with. Dont Feed to much into what the monkeys at Deloitte & Touche or various other corporates who think they can buy the security industry think. We only have to look at their press releases to see they are jokes.

The talk looks very interesting. You could even call it Wholesome. Although from various stuff I have read from
    Lance Spitzner he is very "i was a US tank drive" I was never part of that darkside so on....

Regards

tom-thebox - er glad you're happy...

As for updates on the talk, Colman Morrissey from Espion (http://www.espion.ie/) who is involved in the Irish Honeynet project (http://www.honeynet.ie/) will also be giving a bit of a talk.

More importantly both Lance and Colman are going to the launch of the ISSA Ireland Chapter (http://www.issaireland.org/) and then heading up to give the talk, which means those who want to can easily make both events.

Originally posted by spod

More importantly both Lance and Colman are going to the launch of the ISSA Ireland Chapter (http://www.issaireland.org/) and then heading up to give the talk, which means those who want to can easily make both events.

Actually, scratch that. According to an e-mail I got from one of the Issa Ireland organisers "Lance is apparently coming along to our meeting briefly but leaving before Winn's speech," so I guess people will have to choose which one they want to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

i went to it and thought that it was great. It's so nice to meet enthusiastic young tank drivers these days.

he went into a bit of a sales pitch (he seems used to marketing people), but the project itself seemed very worthwhile. he had some great haxor stories.

• Advertisement

yeah that dude sitting on the cam was funny,

i wish he got the demo working at the end :rolleyes:

Advertisement