Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NaS Album

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks ubu. I tried audio grabber and no look. Strange really.

"Use this cd as your key to unlock special nas performance footage, music videos..."
    "Insert this disc into a computer connected to the internet"
    "click on the star icon"
    "unlock and go!"

Don't even know where this icon could be except in explorer. I'm on an 11Mbps line here so how could it not work?! Man this is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

illmatic is a stonecold classic, and im not a seasoned hip hop lover... i mc drum and bass and nas is one of the only hiphop mc's who can do that easygoing but boastful and in your face vibe that the best drum and bass mc's do.... it doesnt feel like a hip hop tune imo, i'd love to have heard illmatic era nas over some faster breaks... new york state of mind is another great one, was very underwhelmed by it was written and have pretty much written him off since... might check out a few of the others now ive read this thread.... thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Recognised it straight away on mine,
    Sounds like you got a dodgy CD, or your comp is acting up, have you tried it on another PC yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Try it on a different pc. If it doesn't work bring it back to the shop.

Yeah it works on an older Dell. What the hell? My CD Drive is fine works for all other CDs. XP Home SP2 with Winamp, EAC, Audiograbber, WMP10, even DOS!

I'll survive I guess.

• Advertisement

What you think if the album anyway?

Got it first and thought it was better than expected. But recorded it (analog line-in :( to my MD) and listened properly with my headphones last night.

It might grow on me but first impression is CD1 sucks. Message to the feds is good but the rest struck me as very upbeat and I didn't like any of the guest appearances...I'd prefer just NaS tbh. Even Kelis on American Way just sings THE most annoying hook I've ever heard. I'm cringing thinking about it now. It's like half of it was written in under 5 mins (no pun intended).

CD2 strikes me as better (although it's all relative!). Suicide Bounce is good - no need for Busta to be featuring though as he doesn't really add much - pity. Funnily enough the new single with Olu Dara is actually one of the best songs on the album. Really sweet production. But again I havn't noticed much of the other tracks - the Ludacris track (again no need for him) coulda been damn good but it's just lacking something. And why we get 2 bonus tracks of Theif's theme in a row who knows. Surely they're better than The makings of a perfect bitch? Oh and UBR is good.

To be honest I'll probably contradict myself letter with more listening and giving the lyrics more of a chance of the tunes but, as expected, the double lp thing just didn't work. I'll def. be making this onto one 'greatest hits of street disciple' MD for my listening pleasure.

Pity really cos this just strikes me as unncesessarily poppy and yet I still have faith in NaS as a great rapper. The last 2 albums have been pretty good in my view, but they also had 1 or 2 brilliant tracks - One Mic, Get Down and Rewind (?) - all 3 with brilliant lyrics and beats. Where the hell is this one? Bridging the Gap might sound good to me but its hardly a rapping showcase.

Yea, ive found myself listening to CD2 more than CD1,
    Theres a few decent songs on the first cd like "A Message to the Feds", "Nazerath Savage", "Coon Picnic" is ok, "Disciple" is good, "Just a Moment" also "Reason" but apart from that nothing much, the main reason i'm avoiding CD1 has to be American Way tho.

CD2 starts alot better, "Suicide Bounce", took a few listens but liking it now, "Streets Disciple" one of the best songs on the album, "U.B.R" very good, kinda like "Last Real Nigga Alive" off God's Son, "Virgo", Nice, Doug E Fresh beat boxing is sweet.
    The only missable songs on CD2 are "The Makings Of A Perfect Bitch" and "No One Else In The Room", which is terrible.
    The Second CD finishes strong aswell with "Bridging The Gap", "War", "Me & You", which is about is daughter, and i suppose will be compared to the Eminem song where he sings to his daughter aswell, and then "Thiefs Theme"

I'd agree with you about the Brilliant track aswell, there are a good few stand out tracks but not the one that makes you think, "Damn, that is fcuking brilliant", or whatever.

Id say the "Greatest Hits of Street's Disciple" would contain mostly songs off the second CD and the ones ive Mentioned off the First CD.

Saying all that there hasnt been much better released this year and ill be giving it good rotation for another while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Double albums never really work out very well.
    I think everybody would be much happier if the filler was scrapped and serious thought and effort was put into the tracks that go on the album.

Excluding compilations (eg Gang Starr - Full Clip), I can't think of any albums that wouldn't have benefited from being trimmed down to just one cd.

True. Even the Wu couldn't do it.

Full Clip is a great purchase I must say! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Makaveli wrote:
    I can't think of any albums that wouldn't have benefited from being trimmed down to just one cd.

even life after death and all eyez on me ?!? I think the new nas album is suffering from the same problems as blueprint 2, riding high off of two successful albums and thinking they where better than they where and no one disagreeing with them at the record labels.

Life After Death is probably the best of the doubles but there is still some bull**** on there. All eyez on me is definately not worth 2 CDs in my view.

For instance:
    F.ck you tonight feat. R.Kelly
    Playa Hater
    Last Day feat. the Lox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Life After Death has a lot of crap tracks reallly. It was known that Diddy wanted to trim the album down and fix up the production on some the tracks, but then Biggie was killed and it wouldn't have been right to change it.

All Eyez On Me cd2 is a waste of space really apart from one or two tracks.

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

have to disagree all eyez on me is probably my fav album all the guest spots work real well and its got a certain feel thats just never been replicated (i cant explain that any better)

Life after death is not one of my top 5 albums but for a double i think its a good example of how to do it.

You guys I think are into the underground kinda stuff more so i can understand you not liking either of em but i do think they are good examples of how to do a double album and something that nas really should not have tried to do seeing as he has not had a perfect track record in the single disc album stakes.

I really like Life After Death as an album - double or single - it has plenty of quality stuff. I like 2Pac too just in moderation! And I agree NaS coulda done better concentrating on the good tracks and making them better instead of the other filler.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

sums up Nas perfectly I think:
    Went from, Nasty Nas to Esco's trash
    Had a spark when you started but now you're just garbage
    Fell from top ten to not mentioned at all
    to your bodyguard's "Oochie Wally" verse better than yours
    Matter fact you had the worst flow on the whole ****in song
    but I know - the sun don't shine, then son don't shine
    That's why your - LAAAAAAAME! - career come to a end
    There's only so long fake thugs can pretend
    Nigga; you ain't live it you witnessed it from your folks pad
    You scribbled in your notepad and created your life
    I showed you your first tec on tour with Large Professor
    (Me, that's who!) Then I heard your album bout your tec on the dresser
    So yeah I sampled your voice, you was usin it wrong
    You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song
    And you ain't get a coin nigga you was gettin ****ed and
    I know who I paid God, Serchlite Publishing
    Use your - BRAAAAAAAIN! You said you been in this ten
    I've been in it five - smarten up Nas
    Four albums in ten years nigga? I can divide
    That's one every let's say two, two of them ****s was due
    One was - NAHHH, the other was "Illmatic"
    That's a one hot album every ten year average
    And that's so - LAAAAAAAME! Nigga switch up your flow
    Your **** is garbage, but you try and kick knowledge?
    (Get the **** outta here) You niggaz gon' learn to respect the king
    Don't be the next contestant on that Summer Jam screen
    Because you know who (who) did you know what (what)
    with you know who (yeah) but just keep that between me and you for now

ahem....Ether

Advertisement