Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Smartphone advice needed

• 22-12-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Short-term lurker and first-time poster here. Recently I was sitting in a pub and saw an app for Murphy's that gives you free pints when it rains and figured that now would be a good time to upgrade my phone, so I've spent the past week and a bit reading threads here and in other places looking for recommendations and advice about what phone to buy.

I had a cheap thing before (Vodafone Chat, I think) but it would hang up during calls and restart itself for no reason and generally fight with me whenever I wanted to do something other than use Facebook so in the end I let it fight with a wall. It lost.

Having done a bit of research I'm leaning toward an Android. I did look at the Lumia 800 but I'm not sold on Windows, especially with Google claiming they'll pull support for the Windows OS (although you can apparently run Android on a Lumia. Is that true?). Basically, I want a relatively cheap phone that will allow me to get used to Android for a while before I commit to buying a fancier phone when I've become more accustomed to it, or sell on if it dislike the OS (I've become interested in modding/rooting as a result of all the reading I've done and I reckon I'd rather risk botching a cheap phone than a pricey one).

I dislike Apple so I won't give their stuff any further consideration.

I'm on Vodafone PAYG and I'm comfortable with that as many of my family/friends are on it and its fine for getting free calls/texts/internet on it. I did see that Lycamobile offer with unlimited things for between €10 and €30 a month but I'm not sure about them in case something goes very wrong and I need a lot of help fixing a phone. I could probably be persuaded otherwise though.

As for phones, I did look at the Huawei g330 on Emobile for €150 (I'm guessing that goes to about €170 with unlocking) but I did see the Sony Xperia P for sale in England for €190 or so, and also looked at the Jiayu G series in China but I'm not so sure about that, tbh. I'll be sticking with a budget of €200 to get me started even though I know that I'm essentially limited in what I can get. Some basic stuff I'd like to get would be a solid camera (5mp minimum) and something that can handle me web browsing a lot e.g. taking pics and uploading them to Facebook/blogger/photobucket without slowing down too much. I was worried about space but with things like dropbox and SD cards I shouldn't have a problem.

I have a few questions though.

1. If I buy a phone from the UK or China unlocked, does that mean I can use an Irish Sim card in it without any further work?
    2. Speaking of Sim cards, the Xperia P says that its microSim only - can I get Vodafone to swap my existing Sim over for free or do I have to pay a one-off fee or monthly fee to do so?
    3. What difference will it make to a phone if I run it on Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean?
    4. Is there that much of a difference between a single and a dual-core processor in light of what I'm seeking to do with the phone as stated above?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

See bolded text
    1. If I buy a phone from the UK or China unlocked, does that mean I can use an Irish Sim card in it without any further work?
    Yes
    2. Speaking of Sim cards, the Xperia P says that its microSim only - can I get Vodafone to swap my existing Sim over for free or do I have to pay a one-off fee or monthly fee to do so?
    They'll change it for free
    3. What difference will it make to a phone if I run it on Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKk_ffjwC8
    4. Is there that much of a difference between a single and a dual-core processor in light of what I'm seeking to do with the phone as stated above?
    Well, not that massive difference but the dual is indeed faster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have a look at the range of sim-free smartphones on www amazon.co.uk. Read the reviews of anything that interests you there. Its a great way to educate youself.:)

Advertisement