Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

johnpawl wrote: »
    Will you keep the aubracs for replacements?

Ya that's the plan for now anyhow, going to go over and back aa-aubrac. (Angabracs!)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ya that's the plan for now anyhow, going to go over and back aa-aubrac. (Angabracs!)

Ha I'm at the same with the parts (angaparts):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭mf240

Brac pollies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

In calf angus x heifers. blue5000aaheifers.jpg
    Uploaded with by jdi using ImageShack.us :D

Nice batch of heifers blue. By the looks of the replies there are plenty lads moving in this direction;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »

Nice batch of heifers blue. By the looks of the replies there are plenty lads moving in this direction;).
    I was at my uncles today and he has a pen of Hereford bulls out of limo and saler cows that he is finishing at the moment. They seemed like cracking stock to my eyes and he is having no trouble fattening them, they will be ready to go in another 6 weeks at 12 months of age and they got no meal up to weaning. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

just out of interest much difference between salerX and limoX.

I was at my uncles today and he has a pen of Hereford bulls out of limo and saler cows that he is finishing at the moment. They seemed like cracking stock to my eyes and he is having no trouble fattening them, they will be ready to go in another 6 weeks at 12 months of age and they got no meal up to weaning. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fares with them.

I have bulls the same age letting them go at the same time, be interested to see how they compare. Mine are parts off aaxfr cows. Is he giving them much ration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Do you mean he is fattening them for the factory at 12 months ?
    Will they be sound for the hereford bonus ?

Interesting, keep us posted ;)

There is a bit more scope in the salersx compared to the limx. They are at about 5kg a day now I think and will be up to 7kg for the last month before slaughter, they are laying down flesh very quick and he reckons that should be sufficient for them. He sells to a butcher so can't say what way they grade but I will know what money he gets and what it cost to feed them. They will be around 500kg come slaughter, not a huge weight but he was only getting 600 euro for them as weanlings last October. I will keep ye posted and try and get a pic of them the next day I'm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

There is a bit more scope in the salersx compared to the limx. They are at about 5kg a day now I think and will be up to 7kg for the last month before slaughter, they are laying down flesh very quick and he reckons that should be sufficient for them. He sells to a butcher so can't say what way they grade but I will know what money he gets and what it cost to feed them. They will be around 500kg come slaughter, not a huge weight but he was only getting 600 euro for them as weanlings last October. I will keep ye posted and try and get a pic of them the next day I'm down.
    Dont think many butchers kills bulls,we dont anyway.are you sure it is not the factory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks justdoit, you must be working in IT? You're more computer savvy than I am, I want to stick a few photos up in the ladies lounge, can I send them on to you first for 'editing'?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Dont think many butchers kills bulls,we dont anyway.are you sure it is not the factory.
    It's a butcher/abattoir , he kills a few bulls for him every year. 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Just a couple of pic's of this years calves enjoying fresh straw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Great calves there. Love your creep. Great idea having it fed from two pens. Is it solid concrete or slats under the straw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Muckit wrote: »
    Great calves there. Love your creep. Great idea having it fed from two pens. Is it solid concrete or slats under the straw?

Thanks.
    Makes it very flexible having it fed from two pens as you can group the cows whatever way you like and let the calves go where they like. Actually had put in a creep gate in door to an outside field too so when the weather drys we'll open it and let the calves creep out.

Its going to be strange having no calves next year. We're getting out of suckers and going into Contract Rearing:(.

Its standard gang slats underneath. We have put some sheets on ply under the straw to stop it going down. Since we have an aeration system straw getting into the slurry presents a big problem but if you where agitating you could probably do without the plywood boards just fine.

Thanks justdoit, you must be working in IT? You're more computer savvy than I am, I want to stick a few photos up in the ladies lounge, can I send them on to you first for 'editing'?:D
    For sure, send those, ahem, photos by PM ;):D

20130201190813.jpg

Thankfully don't have too many of these. There's a wet patch in the middle of an otherwise dry field probably due to a spring. Will be draining it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

heifer calf.JPG

born earlier today... she is by ROF

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

http://youtu.be/AMpZ0TGjbWE

Superbowl half time add. i like it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

http://youtu.be/AMpZ0TGjbWE

Superbowl half time add. i like it...
    " 40 hour week finished by tuesday afternoon, and then another 72 hrs"

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

They were glad to see the porridge this morning.
    IMG_20130205_081225_zps32c7922b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

she is filling out nicely for a heifers calf too, id be happier when she is back outside though

2DF3CF9D_zps85c93bb2.jpg

Bodacious wrote: »
    she is filling out nicely for a heifers calf too, id be happier when she is back outside though

2DF3CF9D_zps85c93bb2.jpg

Fine calf, what breeds the dam? Have an aaxbrfr calving down to him soon hoping for a heifer

Fine calf, what breeds the dam? Have an aaxbrfr calving down to him soon hoping for a heifer

Heifer herself (dam) is BB (EDJ) X Red lim cow

Heifer herself (dam) is BB (EDJ) X Red lim cow

And did she calve away herself?

And did she calve away herself?

she did but light pull at the hips as she was a long time calving but not much. I wouldnt say she had it easy though and i couldnt see myself ever giving her a charolais or the likes of ERE Lim.. good limousin bull with height will be the one for her .. the likes of Ardlea Dan (ADX) or elite forever brill ET (TVR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Bodacious, she could be a keeper so, by the looks of her.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

What is the sire of the calf?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

she did but light pull at the hips as she was a long time calving but not much. I wouldnt say she had it easy though and i couldnt see myself ever giving her a charolais or the likes of ERE Lim.. good limousin bull with height will be the one for her .. the likes of Ardlea Dan (ADX) or elite forever brill ET (TVR)

Lovely Calf Bodacious. Would you not put OZS on her again?

A heifer like that would be one for keeping. OZS figures are pretty good for maternal. Wide at the hip and good milk for a lm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement