Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Hope99 wrote: »
    We are really having a time finding the right name for our baby girl. WHat do you think about the name Adare or Adair for a girl ? Have you heard this name for a girl in Ireland? do you like it?

Is that not a surname?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hope99
    I've never heard Adare as persons name. I don't dislike it. Dara (can be both boygirl s name, darragh is more a boys name are nice too. Sorry for off topic but I thought of those two when thinking of Adare )
    But similar to balmedout for Adair all I think of is the terrorist connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I also thought of the terrorist as soon as I saw it - sorry!

A girl I know in New Zealand had a little girl a while ago and called her Bailey. In NZ there is an infamous (male) murderer whose first name is Bailey. He was 12 years old and killed a pizza delivery man. It's all I could think of anytime I heard it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Red Adair was a famous firefighter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

sure then there would be no Jacks, Charles, Roses's, etc. a name shouldn't really be chosen based on what serial killers you can think of, just what makes you happy.

I never would think of Adair, it does remind me of the town, but there are far worse out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    sure then there would be no Jacks, Charles, Roses's, etc. a name shouldn't really be chosen based on what serial killers you can think of, just what makes you happy.

I never would think of Adair, it does remind me of the town, but there are far worse out there

But those are very common first names and your first association isn't with a murderer, whereas surnames like Adair, Dahmer and Cromwell would have strong associations for people.

However, OP, in America, the name Adair may not have the same associations and given that you have a nice back story for the name, it might work. In Irish, it's Ath Dara (I think), so Dara would work either and it has become a unisex name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I knew a girl called Ardagh when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hope99

But those are very common first names and your first association isn't with a murderer, whereas surnames like Adair, Dahmer and Cromwell would have strong associations for people.

However, OP, in America, the name Adair may not have the same associations and given that you have a nice back story for the name, it might work. In Irish, it's Ath Dara (I think), so Dara would work either and it has become a unisex name.

You make a good point. In the US, you do hear the name Adair for girls and boys, not too often, but mainly girls is what I've noticed. Given the association it has in Ireland, I think we'd have to spell it Adare, which my hubby says is more of the Irish spelling anyway. Hmm...still thinking about it. Thanks for all the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hope99

churchview wrote: »
    Is that not a surname?

That's not very common in Ireland, right? We have a ton of surnames used as first names in the US. A particularly popular one right now is Ellis for a girl. I honestly that Adare/Adair was a proper Irish name...can't trust the Internet!! I read Adare was an old Irish boys name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have read a lot of those names sites and I am not sure where they get their info from as there is more then 1 that most people here would have never heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ellis is probably an anglicisation of Éilis (pronounced totally differently)

The only person I've ever heard use that name was Emily Bronte as her pen name, Ellis Bell. She was British.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ellis is a Welsh male 1st name name rather then Irish, but it is not unusual for boys names to become names used for both eg Naoise.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Ellis is a Welsh male 1st name name rather then Irish, but it is not unusual for boys names to become names used for both eg Naoise.

Ah yeah. The Welsh have even weirder names than us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi All,

We named our first born Noah. No.2 is on the way in late august and struggling a small bit for names although I haven't really put too much thought into it yet so was flicking thru the last few pages for ideas!

What do ye think of Rhys for a boy and Sienna for a girl??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 elfinka

I am Polish and my husband's Irish, expecting our first. We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet...

Our problem is finding names that would be easily pronounced/spelled in both languages. So we wouldn't pick Siobhan or Niamh as my side of family would struggle with that. Similarly we wouldn't call a boy Grzegorz (Polish for Gregory).

So far we kind agreed on girl's name - Maya (it's spelled Maja in Polish but pronounced the same).

We cannot think of any nice boys names. We don't like Adam, Mark, Lucas etc, even though they all have Polish equivalents... Any ideas? >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

My brother is called Reece. I've always thought it was a lovely name, though that could be down to how I would generally associate names with people and he is the biggest sweetie going! There were a few Reeces born around the same time (1997) - my mum had no notion of the name until she was in the hospital, and on the ward they were watching the telly and a fireman named Reece had saved a baby from a burning building or something along those lines!
    Sienna's a gorgeous girl's name.

elfinka wrote: »
    I am Polish and my husband's Irish, expecting our first. We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet...

Our problem is finding names that would be easily pronounced/spelled in both languages. So we wouldn't pick Siobhan or Niamh as my side of family would struggle with that. Similarly we wouldn't call a boy Grzegorz (Polish for Gregory).

So far we kind agreed on girl's name - Maya (it's spelled Maja in Polish but pronounced the same).

We cannot think of any nice boys names. We don't like Adam, Mark, Lucas etc, even though they all have Polish equivalents... Any ideas? >.<

My friends named their baby Maya for the same reason:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Hi All,

We named our first born Noah. No.2 is on the way in late august and struggling a small bit for names although I haven't really put too much thought into it yet so was flicking thru the last few pages for ideas!

I love Rhys for boys name. I am biased though as its my godson's name, but even still, it's one of my favourite names. Sienna is a lovely name, and not one you would hear every day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Are you looking for names that have Polish equivalents, or just names that would be easily pronounced by both families?
    Some ideas of boys names with similar Polish equivalents could be Alex, Jacob, Joseph, Thomas or Matthew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

cee_jay wrote: »
    Are you looking for names that have Polish equivalents, or just names that would be easily pronounced by both families?
    Some ideas of boys names with similar Polish equivalents could be Alex, Jacob, Joseph, Thomas or Matthew?

I love all of these names!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭McBubbles

Really like Thomas or Hugh for a boy. Struggling with girls names though, OH likes Emma, I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Barbara and Maria other options for a girl. Dereck is similar to Dariusz, edward or maybe adam?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 elfinka

Preferably names with Polish equivalents, but easy to pronounce ones would be fine too.

I quite like Matthew/Mateusz, but have one baby in my family with this name already so it would a bit awkward.

Joseph/Jozef is a very old-fashioned named with countryside vibe in Poland, so no.

Alex or Thomas... not loving them but not too bad either... didn't think of them before, thanks.

From the easy-to-pronouce category we quite like Conor/Connor recently. Is there any difference between the two btw?
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    Barbara and Maria other options for a girl. Dereck is similar to Dariusz, edward or maybe adam?

I think we'd like something more original than Maria/Barbara (Barbie?!), but not totally weird either, but thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

From the easy-to-pronouce category we quite like Conor/Connor recently. Is there any difference between the two btw?

That's a great name - very strong. Connor is a surname, but I have seen people spell Conor this way.

I teach a Daria, Roksana and an Ilona, which are great names. I particularly love the name Natalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Gabriella works too IMHO also Isabella (could spell it as izabella if you liked maybe)
    Nadia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Our problem is finding names that would be easily pronounced/spelled in both languages. So we wouldn't pick Siobhan or Niamh as my side of family would struggle with that. Similarly we wouldn't call a boy Grzegorz (Polish for Gregory)

I was on the same boat:) I'm Polish, my husband is Irish and he love Irish names :). So our first daughter is Roisin ( Roza / Rose in polish ) - its not to hard to say. We named our second girl Anna. If I will have a boy he will be named Connor. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Was thinking hard over the last few weeks of any other names I like. Only have 10 days to go so need to be definite about her name now. I'm thinking of Cassie-Rose, along with my mothers name. It'll be quite long but I want my Mums name on the birth cert too. I haven't have that scrunched up face from people when I've told them so it might be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

A friend a baby girl recently and called her Carolyn Leah and I think it is beautiful. So pretty. Everyone so far has gone"oh, that's really beautiful"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

A friend a baby girl recently and called her Carolyn Leah and I think it is beautiful. So pretty. Everyone so far has gone"oh, that's really beautiful"

It's a beautiful name, very girly and original but not too different at the same time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Baby will be here at the latest Tuesday, getting sort of nervous now :eek:

I leave the names to the OH (I couldn't actually even name our gerbils!!!!) So we had two that I liked/was okay with, but he then suggested a slight alteration.

For the boy it was supposed to be Robert, with the middle name Emmett, now he is feeling out for Emmett as the first name. I am not sure, I think Emmett and I fear anyone who has read those Twilight books will think it is after that! Damn Stephanie Meyers.

Is it a common enough name these days?

Advertisement