Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When to start looking for accommodation!!!

Options
  • 03-03-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Well basically up to my neck in grant applications and study and what not
    so haven't had time to properly research.

Just wanted to roughly know when around do I have to start booking/searching for accommodation.

I don't want to get my course just to see I didn't apply back in whenever ya know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi OP. I'd wait till after LC. By that stage things will probs be clearer i.e. what course you're hoping to do, what uni etc.

It's slightly different for campus accommodation. I know for TCD you have to apply and have a personal statement done up (beware that halls aren't on campus in TCD - about 10 mins on luas an 10 min walk)

With UCD however, you would want to put in your application well in time as usually there is a huge demand for campus spaces.

There are other private halls/accommodation for students and they usually vary with prices and policies.

I'd say to look carefully at the uni's/it's websites and if you're in doubt, send them an e-mail.

There are also digs out there if you are interested in getting a meal/b&b etc. They are usually reasonably priced but may have young families etc.

Be warned that some college courses aren't necessarily located on campus and that you may have to travel to a placement - so therefore look at transport too

You are right OP to start thinking now - nothing worse I'm sure than going house hunting in late August when you have no other choice but to take the most run down or dearest priced place! Also, sorry about the fact that I don't know anything about the other places - perhaps talk to a student who is living/studying there??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

d1234 wrote: »
    It's slightly different for campus accommodation. I know for TCD you have to apply and have a personal statement done up (beware that halls aren't on campus in TCD - about 10 mins on luas an 10 min walk)

Can anyone confirm this? I intend to stay in Halls next year if I get my first choice but I hadn't heard anything about a personal statement. It seems pretty onerous just to get accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Here are further details..

There's a section for details:

-course of study
    -home address
    -correspondence address
    -date of birth

then there's:
    "Supporting Statement: (Plain text only. 1800 Chars Max.) Please indicate how you believe your application meets the advertised criteria for room allocation."

(i think you have to check the tcd accommadation home page to see what the criteria are)

then finally there's:
    "Hobbies and Interests (Max 500 characters)"

then it asks are you applying as
    -a scholar? (not appicable to first years)
    -non-EU?
    -other entitlements, list in supporting statement? (i'm guessing this covers stuff like students with disabilites, again the details are prob on the tcd accomadaion homepage).

then it asks you to choose between:
    -trinity hall standard single
    -th modern singls
    -th shared modern

source:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=292752

Advertisement