Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flat Roller / Ring (Cambridge) Roller / Grass Harrow

• 16-01-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Any advice on what is best fit for maintaining paddocks etc on a dairy farm. We currently don't have any of the above however lots of paddocks need a bit of repair following last year i.e. some poaching with water holding on them particularly around gaps etc.
    Our land would be heavy and as such we never were gone in rolling due to compaction issues however I did some heavily poached wet areas two years ago with a contractrors flat roller and I found that they dried up quicker once hoof marks were closed in and no longer holding water.
    Thinking with that I might purchase something this year but don't know what would be the best fit. Some say that the grass harrow is suitable for closing in hoof marks but I'm a bit sceptical if it works that well. I have heard that the ring roller is also suitable for this but I don't know of anyone around local that has one.
    Any one using any of the above and any advice on which is better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

PN14 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Any advice on what is best fit for maintaining paddocks etc on a dairy farm. We currently don't have any of the above however lots of paddocks need a bit of repair following last year i.e. some poaching with water holding on them particularly around gaps etc.
    Our land would be heavy and as such we never were gone in rolling due to compaction issues however I did some heavily poached wet areas two years ago with a contractrors flat roller and I found that they dried up quicker once hoof marks were closed in and no longer holding water.
    Thinking with that I might purchase something this year but don't know what would be the best fit. Some say that the grass harrow is suitable for closing in hoof marks but I'm a bit sceptical if it works that well. I have heard that the ring roller is also suitable for this but I don't know of anyone around local that has one.

How ya,

I dont have a cambridge ring roller but have used them lots rolling in seed on tillage ground on various farms and imagine it would bang down the high bits for you alright if ground conditions right

Ive a 5ft trailed chain harrow that i pull behind the quad and its a great tool, fly over the ground spreading the dung pats, opening up the sward for regrowth, encouraging tillering etc, it can be turned either way aggressive for what you are talking about, i put weight on it also.. maybe a framed tractor mounted chain harrow would be better for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

PN14 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Re opening this topic as I'm looking at a roller for here. Had a land roller for years and it did fine till the frame got damaged and the drums started leaking.
    Have used uncles one the last few years but would prefer 1 of our own.

Anyone use a ring (Cambridge) roller on grass land?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Re opening this topic as I'm looking at a roller for here. Had a land roller for years and it did fine till the frame got damaged and the drums started leaking.
    Have used uncles one the last few years but would prefer 1 of our own.

Anyone use a ring (Cambridge) roller on grass land?

The only place I’ve seen one being used on grass was Lyons

Advertisement