Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Offlines conference: Speaking out against the Scientology cult

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't know if its just me or not, but the press packet PDF has weird blocks covering up chunks of text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't know if its just me or not, but the press packet PDF has weird blocks covering up chunks of text.

Looked fine to me. Some bits of text have a coloured background, so maybe thats not coming through properly for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Is this free to go to &/or do you need tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pedrofcuk

It's free, no tickets needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Really looking forward to this conference, but then again I am biased due to being involved in organising it.

Looking forward to meeting the speakers too. Between them they have over a century of Scientology experiences to share.

I can’t help but giggle just a little when I think of Gerry Armstrong’s story (sorry Gerry). While he was still in the Sea Org he revered the very ground Hubbard walked on and had totally bought into his claims of being both a war hero and a nuclear physicist. Then the Scientology organisation thought it would be a good idea to write a biography for Hubbard, and Gerry was the man they assigned to gather together the necessary information.

Naturally, in order to fulfil his duties, Gerry requested Hubbard’s war records and his school records. Not long after receiving those records Gerry was heading for the exit. To say that Hubbard’s claims diverged from reality would be a gross understatement…..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

Will it be streamed ?

I just went through some ex-members testimonies on this site

http://exscientologistsireland.org/

Wow, is all I can say. I knew that Scientology was a bit out there and considered a cult, but I had no idea how extremely dangerous, damaging, and manipulative it is.

It's really worth reading these ex-members stories.

Will it be streamed ?
    That's the plan. The USTREAM embed is on the frontpage you just linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

John Duignan spoke at a Cork Skeptics talk last month, absolutely fascinating, and that was just the stories from one ex-s, if your live near Dublin I would highly recomnend going to this.
    If it's online I'll be watching it.

Might be an idea to post the conference notice on the Christianity forum as well. The more publicity this gets the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Will the stream of the event be available to watch at a later time? I honestly didn't know much about Scientology until I went to that site. I had always put it in the "odd but ultimately as harmless as most other religions" category but some of their practices are really scary.

The conference is being recorded - all video will be available online after.

ITV's 'World in Action' documentary exposed Scientology, the Cult, its current practices, and Hubbard way back in 1967.

They even managed to interview Hubbard for the programme.

It's both amazing, and terrible that many unfortunate victims are still falling prey to it to this day.

Hubbard's own son exposed the organisation further in 1983

Advertisement