Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

You are right Shaz kea

I tried going out for runs.Felt fine but my left knee was sore after few min running.Went to physio yesterday and found out that have injured my VMO muscle so no excercise for a while.Have to go back nxt week.Feel sp lazy though and cant stop eating junk food but have decided today not to get down and go for swim thurs and do hot yoga tomorrow.Wont do excercises where i push bending of knee in yoga.Jst wondering if anyone has same injury as me and what they up to.Back to physio mon so hoping knee will be improved - fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Went out this evening and did a handy 5 miles in 44 mins and felt very fresh after it. Have massage booked for Thursday so things are looking up:). Feeling much better today could have done a few more miles. I know I have said it already but that Garmin is some piece of kit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Went out this evening and did a handy 5 miles in 44 mins and felt very fresh after it. Have massage booked for Thursday so things are looking up:). Feeling much better today could have done a few more miles. I know I have said it already but that Garmin is some piece of kit:D

ye soon you won't be able to run without it!!!:D hope the massage goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

where to strat.

Had a bad few days. Friday got food poisoning and was up talking to god on the porcelain telephone half the night. Knew i was supposed to be doing the half marathon on sunday so decided to rest rest rest on saturday and see if i woud be ok for it. Stomach was still upset so only managed a small plate of pasta. Sunday decided to go to the race and see how i was when i got there. Before i knew it i was lined up at the start and praying id be ok once i warmed up a bit. You can guess what happened. A (slow) mile and a half out the road and there was bobmac in the ditch getting the "gawks". walked slowly back to the start, embarrassed and feeling quite stupid. Started getting pains out my lower back that evening and couldnt eat a thing.
    Woke up monday back pain still there. started thinking i had a some kidney liquidfying E.coli 0157 thing going on so went to the doctor and the kidneys were fine (she thinks the back pain was from talking to god too much:rolleyes:)

still struggling with food. Id say i am half a stone down (didnt need to loose that at all) going to take it easy for another couple of days and see how i am then before putting the runners back on.

I am just thankfull nothing like this happend before DCM!

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments|
    BobMac104|4|22|37m|Week was going great until i got food poinsoning |
    Younganne|2|6.5m|20.5m|chest infection so didn't get at all over the weekend
    red face dave|4|15|26m|Tough week
    Nules10 |5|26|40|enjoyed most of my runs this week, one extra also at the weekend smile.gif
    Conseng|0|0|12m|real life suggested I take a week off last week.
    run44|0|0|10m|Sick all week with throat and chest infection, which seems to be getting worse rather than better :(
    shazkea|3|14|26m|wk 5 back running and no runs missed yet - must be a record for me!
    KittyMittens|1|4|13.5m|Loads of excuses...but a new week starts today :)|
    Cutex|2|9.5m|15.5m|only got out twice last week, def up the mileage this week!
    sunflowerro|||17.5m||
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |1|5.2|20.8|Always knew last week would be the "perfect storm" between work, visitors, kids etc. Only managed one - thought I would get out on Sunday but woke up with a bad pain in my lower back still there now but hope it's just a pulled muscle and will ease. Fingers crossed. Going stir crazy already :(

sorry i am late with the update

• Advertisement

Bob that doesn't sound in any way pleasant. I hope you are on the mend now. Plenty of rest and then just ease back into the running when you are feeling 100% again. Mind yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Hmm... this is not going as well as I had hoped, and with less than 2 weeks till the 5k race I already registered for, I only did 3 runs of about 3 miles each since DCM :eek: Not much point adding myself to the table :P

First week after DCM was total rest, beside the sports massage, as I was completely wrecked. Just a bit of walking after lunch.

Second week I managed 2 very slow runs as my knee and ankle were still not fully recovered, and then I was too busy during the weekend with other commitments.

Last week I had a lot of table tennis matches and trainings, so managed only one run, but I did a bit of core exercises, planks, and push-ups before lunch, so fairly active week.

Whole Saturday at TT competition, and from Sunday I'm sick with some cold/flue that makes me dizzy even when walking :mad:

Feel you pain Meijin!

Its strange how difficult it has become to get a solid weeks training in since DCM. Looking back at the excell sheet of training i did for DCM there is little if any disruption in the training. Now i am all over the place.

However I think we may be forgetting that it is only 23 days since DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BobMac104 wrote: »

Three weeks after last year's DCM I'd only run about 20 miles. I ran less than 60 miles in all November (and the marathon was the 25th of October)

As long as you can get running consistently again, the distance and pace will come back by themselves.

meijin wrote: »
    and from Sunday I'm sick with some cold/flue that makes me dizzy even when walking :mad:

Sound like what i had twice before DCM, it was sinus infection i had.. it can be quite difficult to clear up properly and its not a bit pleasant to feel dizzy all the time!! I hope you start to feel better soon. Put yourself into the table, there is plenty of us not doing too much running!!

Feel you pain Meijin!

yes its hard to believe this as it feels months ago......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Guys

Sorry I havent been hear much. Regarding the struggles post marathon. These are to be expected which is why usually racing too soon after is not usually advised (hence our target race is not till January) People react differently to recovery and especially coming from a novice background often it takes longer for the body to fully come around. This is the reason the runs are to be kept easy and why sessions have not been added as of yet

@ Bob sorry to hear about the pre Half problems. Hydration is probably an issue after such a case and as such replenishing fluids and salts should be addressed over the next while

@ Meijin. Wouldnt worry to much about the race. By the sounds of it you are listening to your body which is the most important thing better to plan it safe and build back at your own pace everyones body is different and as a result each person should address their recovery differently

As such if people need extra day off here and there dont be afraid to take it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ecoli wrote: »
    Hey Guys

As such if people need extra day off here and there dont be afraid to take it

Not so much worried about taking a day off as getting to the stage where I can have a day on ! Haven't run since Wednesday. Woke on Sunday with what I thought was a pain in my lower back but now it seems to my butt :eek: Can walk and stand no problem but sitting and especially getting up from sitting is a problem. Is down the back of my leg as far as my knee on and off. Did manage to put on my own socks today though which was an improvement :( Hoping it will disappear over the next few days, if not I'll have to look into it further. Can't wait to get out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

kit3 wrote: »
    Not so much worried about taking a day off as getting to the stage where I can have a day on ! Haven't run since Wednesday. Woke on Sunday with what I thought was a pain in my lower back but now it seems to my butt :eek: Can walk and stand no problem but sitting and especially getting up from sitting is a problem. Is down the back of my leg as far as my knee on and off. Did manage to put on my own socks today though which was an improvement :( Hoping it will disappear over the next few days, if not I'll have to look into it further. Can't wait to get out again

My advice is get that checked out sounds to me like it is a little more than post marathon soreness

My advice is get that checked out sounds to me like it is a little more than post marathon soreness

Thanks. Was afraid of that - have had no problems throughout the training and since the marathon. What class of professional should I see - physio, doc ....? Haven't a clue.

Thanks. Was afraid of that - have had no problems throughout the training and since the marathon. What class of professional should I see - physio, doc ....? Haven't a clue.

Not given medical advice but i would reckon GP first to rule out kidney infection etc and if he says muscular then maybe a physio or sports massage...

Younganne wrote: »
    Not given medical advice but i would reckon GP first to rule out kidney infection etc and if he says muscular then maybe a physio or sports massage...

thanks - definately not a kidney infection- it's muscular - had some fun self-diagonising on the net but will check it out properly. Just not sure the difference, if any, between physios, physical therapists, sports massage etc...

Have to drive to Cork and back tomorrow - promises to be fun.......nurofen and tiger balm at the ready...

Running will be easy after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

thanks - definately not a kidney infection- it's muscular - had some fun self-diagonising on the net but will check it out properly. Just not sure the difference, if any, between physios, physical therapists, sports massage etc...

Have to drive to Cork and back tomorrow - promises to be fun.......nurofen and tiger balm at the ready...

Running will be easy after this.

Personally I go with the following order (runners themseles): Physical Therapist, Physio and last resort Doctor (usually coz physio can't refer for an MRI - which is stupid). Again this is my preference and experience.

The Physical Therapist I go to does both sports massages and specific injuries.

If you're in the Dublin area PM me and I'll give you some contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

dave good to hear your run went well. :D:D you are hooked on the garmin. my favourite bit is where it tells me the calories i have burned.... especially the one for the marathon. Hope you enjoy :rolleyes: the massage tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments|
    BobMac104|4|22|37m|Week was going great until i got food poinsoning |
    Younganne|2|6.5m|20.5m|chest infection so didn't get at all over the weekend
    red face dave|4|15|26m|Tough week
    Nules10 |5|26|40|enjoyed most of my runs this week, one extra also at the weekend smile.gif
    Conseng|0|0|12m|real life suggested I take a week off last week.
    run44|0|0|10m|Sick all week with throat and chest infection, which seems to be getting worse rather than better :(
    shazkea|3|14|26m|wk 5 back running and no runs missed yet - must be a record for me!
    KittyMittens|1|4|13.5m|Loads of excuses...but a new week starts today :)|
    Cutex|2|9.5m|15.5m|only got out twice last week, def up the mileage this week!
    sunflowerro|5|22|40.0|Trying to work on speed this week
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |1|5.2|20.8|Always knew last week would be the "perfect storm" between work, visitors, kids etc. Only managed one - thought I would get out on Sunday but woke up with a bad pain in my lower back still there now but hope it's just a pulled muscle and will ease. Fingers crossed. Going stir crazy already :(

sorry i am so late with the update.I have no idea how I had time to train for a marathon before. I'm chasing my tail these days :)[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

@ Meijin. Wouldnt worry to much about the race.
    I don't worry really. It will be my first 5k race, so no PB to beat :)
    By the sounds of it you are listening to your body which is the most important thing better to plan it safe and build back at your own pace everyones body is different and as a result each person should address their recovery differently

yeah, I like it safe, but my legs don't like the current enforced too long rest and are getting too stiff :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

anyone else find the 3 miles with the strides tough? i think i may have done them too fast, couldn't see the garmin but think the pace was at 9min/mile. Should we do them at the end of the 3 miles or throughout or does it matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Nules10 wrote: »
    dave good to hear your run went well. :D:D you are hooked on the garmin. my favourite bit is where it tells me the calories i have burned.... especially the one for the marathon. Hope you enjoy :rolleyes: the massage tomorrow

Just back from the massage legs feel good but will have to wait until tomorrow to feel full effects, but should be good to go.Another one booked for the week before Waterford. Yeah I agree with you, there is nothing better then coming home and seeing how many calories you managed to burn off.

I often wonder though how accurate the calorie counter is on the garmin? anyone know?

I often wonder though how accurate the calorie counter is on the garmin? anyone know?

It's based on your recorded heart rate (and maybe the age, weight etc you enter on your profile?)

ok i dont use the heart rate so i guess its just a general reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    It's based on your recorded heart rate (and maybe the age, weight etc you enter on your profile?)

D'you think? It always gives me a calorie count and i don't use the HR monitor. Age and weight for sure.

If you did use a HRM, it would use that.
    If you don't, it just goes on age and weight. So it won't be very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This!!
    If you have age/weight/sex/Max and Min HR correctly inputted in your profile in the watch and use the HRM (although a lot of the time the HR readings are inaccurate :rolleyes:) then in theory the calorie count should be very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I don't use the HRM.

The calories burned by km is usually 60, but sometimes 59 or 61.
    I haven't analysed if pace makes a difference, but if it does, the effect is minimal.

So, it probably only uses age and weight, but maybe some other criteria,
    which has minimal effect.

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    anyone else find the 3 miles with the strides tough? i think i may have done them too fast, couldn't see the garmin but think the pace was at 9min/mile. Should we do them at the end of the 3 miles or throughout or does it matter??

Hi Nules,
    I did my 3m run and then did the strides after,,,well turned out mine were way too fast, (6.38pace which is a sprint instead of a fast run), and i did them too long (90 - 100 m instead of 60 - 80) and i did 5 of them (cause i couldn't remember if it was 4 -6 or what):eek: so 3 rookie mistakes i'll try not make again. I really enjoyed them and didn't find them tough...maybe your body was tired after your full week last week and the extra week end run.

Other that that I'm up to date with this weeks plan and did Kettlebells last night so appreciating the rest day today and looking forward to the 60 min easy run tomorrow as its Saturday I usually feel the effects from the kettle bells.

Before I never used the HR monitor but now i use it most of the time and try and keep my hr within the range its suppose to be ie * 70%-80% of max hr (Endurance zone) for easy runs....

Advertisement