Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WAR: Wicklow Adventure Race Glenmalure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Sounds really good! would be nice to see a sports class added to the table & maybe some more adventurous races too ... :D:D

Will try to get out & recce the route on sat....was avoiding when i heard about the bull :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Has anyone here done the Croaghanmoira run and if yes how exactly do you access trail, i have an idea its on the left hand side of road having done climb past Glenmalure Lodge but not 100%.

Thanks

Fishboy.. if you look back at previous pages on this thread I had posted a map from when myself and DPA ran the Croaghanmoira route a few weeks back...

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Thanks Slogger. Your assuming one can read a map :)

Going up tomorrow to see how much of a beast this actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thanks Slogger. Your assuming one can read a map :)

Going up tomorrow to see how much of a beast this actually is.

Cheers. Post back your run report here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Less than a week to go, light rain predicted for midweek with saturday bringing partly cloudy skies.

Link:http://weather.msn.com/tenday.aspx?&wealocations=wc%3AEIXX0049&q=Wicklow%2C+IRL&setunit=F

Looks like conditions will be ideal, cant wait:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

I'm not sure if this has been covered but Im too lazy to trail back through the entire thread so here goes:): I'm doing War sport and I'd prefer to wear my cycle shoes with cleats rather than my trail shoes with toe clips for the bike section. Does the cycle section bring you back to the same transition as the end of the first run (so I can pick up my trails shoes again)?

Any recommendations??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was looking at the maps myself this morning and for sports it looks like the bike and run stage end at the same point.

Have you looked at the pics of the rough sections, there's about 1.5k of rough ground so depending on the bike you're using it may be a factor in deciding what footwear you're going to use. Pics of it are here
    http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/index.php/course/war-sport-cycle/

Drove the sports cycle route yesterday. Its like the inverse of that ad that used to be on telly years ago where the guy left his house cycled down hill to the offie and then cycled down hill again to this house with the beer! Its all up hill pretty much with the exception of the nice downhill after the shay elliot pass.

Also drove down the lane where the off road bit is and its pretty horrible. had to turn the car around. Much worse than the bad bits in GF in my opinion, and again uphill so not sure even if you had the right bike whether I would be bothered cycling it :) seems to be short though.

Plans to check out the hill run didnt go well as got maps confused and couldnt work out the start so went in from the side of forest and got lost in whats probably the smallest forest in the world haha!

Adding navigation to the list of things to learn over the winter.

Looks like the weather is going to improve by the end of the week though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

What type of bikes are people thinking of going with for this one? Looks like an mtb with slicks might not be such a bad option?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    I'm no expert on bikes but its only 1.5km of off road so i'd say you'd be much better off on a road bike and to run that section if like me your worried about getting a puncture

• Advertisement

Definitely roadbike with strong tyres. am trying to see if i can rent one. Cycling a mountainbike up hill is going to be torture! You would be waaaaaaay faster on road bike & to be honest as the off road is all up hill walking it will probably be faster than cycling mountainbike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

HI fi how far in on the cycle is the off road section?

also anyone know if transitions are at same spot i've checked the thread and it doesn't say either way. used clips and trainers for gaelforce and Achill and while GF was ok cos it wasnt the same transition but felt i shouldnt have used the clips for achill as the transition was the same one each time

anyone know?
    Fi H wrote: »
    Also drove down the lane where the off road bit is and its pretty horrible. had to turn the car around. Much worse than the bad bits in GF in my opinion, and again uphill so not sure even if you had the right bike whether I would be bothered cycling it :) seems to be short though.
    :)

I am only doing sport so on the photo on the website the off road bit is at number 12 on the cycle. Roughly 2/3 of the way in and before the Shay Elliott Pass.

The run for the sports class is a loop so your cycle shoes can be at the transition. If they havent changed the sports cycle thats also a loop to the same spot although theres v little info on the obstacle course and where thats going to be.

They have posted a map on the website but its only for the expert class. Theres no sign of a river run or obstacle course on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Anyone receive an email yet from WAR?
    Website states "A full race briefing document will be emailed to all competitors on Monday".

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ahe316

I've received nothing yet - I'm expecting some full details soon. The website is pretty sketchy on the sport race, start times, transistions etc. Last mail I received was 03.09 to advise of the kayak being removed. It was mentioned in that mail that there would now be a single start time for all competitors but I'm not sure what that is. Need to start planning the arrvial/set up time etc. Also I believe registration is due to start on Thurs in carrikmines so need to get out there to sign up.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Briefing document is online now, on the WAR site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The faqs still have the list of wave start times for each wave in sports and expert. I wasn't registered at the time of the course change so never received that mail, everyone is now starting at the same time ?

Edit, never mind, as Onyx points out the brief is now up. I see the starts are now later too. Looks like we're in the river for a nice bit too, not just a hop in, get feet wet and pop back out again.

Looks like no bike drop available on Friday evening from the briefing doc. Bike drop is from 8:30am on Saturday morning.

Obstacle course looks quite small. Picture shows climbing over big bales of straw :)

much later start i see :) thats nice!

4 stars (good)
    My split predictions for Saturday, I really hope I'm not being optimistic and dont come last

10km mountain run 1hr 5mins
    22km cycle 1hr 25mins
    7.5km mountain run 50 mins
    18km cycle 45 mins
    river run + obstacle no idea

Anyone else like to share?

• Advertisement

guapos wrote: »
    My split predictions for Saturday, I really hope I'm not being optimistic and dont come last

10km mountain run 1hr 5mins
    22km cycle 1hr 25mins
    7.5km mountain run 50 mins
    18km cycle 45 mins
    river run + obstacle no idea

Anyone else like to share?

Don't think you'll come last with the above times, i'd like to think along the same lines barring cramp

10km mountain run 1hr 10mins or under
    22km cycle 1hr 20mins
    7.5km mountain run 1hr as this is meant to be a beast [never got to go over it
    18km cycle 45 mins

Based on this we could be sprinting for the line together [hopefully not for last place]

Target for me is sub 4 hours
    run1 - 60 mins
    cycle1 - 80 mins (hopefully not too optimistic given size of hills to climb)
    run2 - 50 mins
    cycle2 - 45 mins (including 5 min timeout)
    river run + obstacle - 5 mins

4 stars (good)
    Ill see you on top of the bales of hay so (that wasnt meant to sound dodgy)

I had a dreadful half marathon so hoping for a big improvement this week, have you trained on the parts of the course?

Just the cycle parts, the first being the harder of the two, i'll be taking it handy on run 1 in order to be fresh for cycle 1 and run 2 [i hope]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

3 stars (average)
    Target for me is also sub 4 hours providing i make it to the starting line.
    run1 - 65 mins
    cycle1 - 75 mins
    run2 - 55 mins
    cycle2 - 35 mins
    river run + obstacle - 5 mins

4 stars (good)
    Anywhere between four and five hours for me. I cant realistically break it down, I might as well choose random numbers. Until I see the hills, I wont know how Ill go on them. Im a crap cyclist, so the first cycle will be slow. I may walk the hills, but I tend to do ok as everyone but the elites seem to walk as well. :)

You can never really predict how the legs will do crampwise, either.

Still no info on the obstacle course I take it? I reckon 5 mins is overoptimisitic anyway, jackyback. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

3 stars (average)
    Can anyone recommend a good store to pick up most of the mandatory kit supplies for this, including tri shorts etc.

4 stars (good)
    Can anyone recommend a good store to pick up most of the mandatory kit supplies for this, including tri shorts etc.
    53 degrees north, youll be going there to register if your not registering on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Hopefully the obstacle course is like this. The facebook paged was linked on the Spartan race page so shouldn't be a problem linking them.

http://www.facebook.com/spartanrace#!/photo.php?pid=14900982&id=689070081&ref=fbx_album&fbid=10150276059960082

Some epic wipeouts.

• Advertisement

Check TK Max in carrickmines for tri shorts before buying them in 53 degrees north. have seen them up there a few times & got mine there for €20 a piece. 2xnu ones.

Advertisement