Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I pay deposit to secure a place but not get keys, move in or pay rent for 2 weeks

Options
  • 06-12-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just have a quick question. We found a place we like the look of and if we like it when we view it next week we will pay the deposit to secure it. the problem is we've just paid our last months rent on our current place so we don't get paid and won't be in a position to pay first months rent on new place for about 2.5 weeks. Is this possible? If we pay the deposit on Monday do you think they would secure it and then just not hand over the keys for about 2 weeks till we've paid? Surely if we pay the deposit that's enough reassurance. Not like we can access it without keys. I'm guessing the contract signing and paperwork might take a couple of days anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All you can do is ask. Depending on demand I can't see why a landlord wouldn't go for it if there's no other suitable tennant prepared to move in earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭loveofliving

Hopefully so! We're ideal tenants so hopefully they see that and are willing to wait a couple of weeks to hand over the keys! Cheers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Can't see a problem unless he is very anxious to let.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Hopefully so! We're ideal tenants so hopefully they see that and are willing to wait a couple of weeks to hand over the keys! Cheers :)

Ideal tenants would have the money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Most places I have come across will have no problem waiting a few weeks before the rent is handed over, because they know not everyone is in a position to move straight away due to other commitments.

Plenty of people have to give one month's notice in their current residence before leaving, but might have found a place they want to secure for when they move out. Estate Agents and landlords know this, and will generally keep the place with a security deposit for one month, at least this is the case for all four places I have rented.

Just tell them that you have the deposit and will hand over the first month's rent in exchange for the keys in three weeks when your lease is up in your current accommodation, if you look good on paper as tenants, they won't have a problem. And make sure you get a receipt for the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

When i moved in to my first accommodation i paid one weeks rent then the other three weeks at a fiver a week on top of my weekly rent.
    In saying that the landlord knew me personally and trusted me. When I moved house from there to my next rental property my first landlord paid my second landlord the deposit and then i got a receipt for it off the second landlord.

My point being that unless a property has a number of people interested it will cost the landlord more to not let it that take money over a few weeks or in my case months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

We did this moving house about a month ago, they were happy to hold the place for us for about three weeks.

It's (obviously) entirely up to the landlord, all you can do is ask. We had copies of both landlord and employment references with us to give them when we viewed the house, I think that helped.

Advertisement