Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyber bullying going on right now by everyone I know - MOD WARNING POST #2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Lyaiera wrote: »

Ok. I read that post too. Do you think you could ask her which defamation Act, and even better which section? There's a couple of Acts and some SIs. I've studied them and can't think of anything that would make it defamatory to post a video of someone taken in a public place.

Why not ask her yourself. But as Humanji has said, its more the responses that they would be worried about, rather than the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Biggins wrote: »
    Your right in that but at least he went in front of the camera (we can debate over if it was legally "willingly" because he was drink, if so) by his own 'steam' and could have risen from it at any stage and/or stopped talking.

I know then I'm drunk and out, I'd be hard at fining everyone if they were recording at a distance.
    This chap sat right in front of a camera and was willing to talk direct.
    Does this mean he should be "Bullied" for it? NO - absolutely not.
    In his case however people have commented (fairly I think) because of the crime it is related to.

...Whereas the other video if 16 year old girl lets be honest, is more innocent.

There is no definates here - we can only best use good judgement in most cases, as each one occurs.

I do agree with you in regards to it, I just don't think boards.ie can. Although, I'm only picking the rape case as it's on the front page of AH atm, there's probably far better examples of what was allowed that could have lead to bullying (Cork schoolgirls fight for instance).

Whilst I do agree with boards.ie stance on the video, although not so much on (until now, and the feedback thread) the no discussion at all of it, because some people can be assh0les, and the girl doesn't deserve the abuse she's been getting on twitter over it. I do think discussions can be had on people going she was drunk, we all do stupid things when we're drunk (I don't drink btw, so I hate that attitude), the fact she was 16 and drunk, or even just on the whole videoing of something in that state, and how far can people go with videoing,photos etc without breaching people's privacy (fwiw, if people heard some of the stuff I say with friends, I'd probably be branded a psychopath , but anyone I know just knows I have a really weird sense of humour, and am harmless for the most part)

However, in regards to cyber - bullying ( fwiw, I was bullied in school, although was never on the internet as much when I was younger, so didn't really experience cyber-bullying) I kinda agree on the old childish thing of sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me, although I'd understand how hard that can be nowadays in comparison to only 6-10 years ago. However, I'd be more worried (considering she's been easily identified) of any potential physical violence from someone, either on nights out or from the scumbags that are in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

So the people posting her online details and writing to the place where her father works wouldn't have happened if she watched what she drank? You're not defending it are you? Again, what she did is not what the thread is about, if it was it would be closed. It's about the online provocative reaction. She does not deserve any of this despite of what she drank.

It's equally wrong but claiming that we should ignore what was said is daft. There's responsibility for everyone to and deny that is fundamentally wrong.

The people writing to where her father works, and the people posting her details online are horrible people end of story. What she said was absolutely revolting though.

The thread is also very clearly about what was said on that video. I hope that she learns from her mistake.

rogieop wrote: »
    has anybody bothered to point out that she is 16 and shouldnt have been out and about drunk?

Your point being? I dont really see how thats relevant. Yes, she shouldn't have been drinking, but she was, like about 75% (figure pulled completely from the air) of 16 year olds in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

rogieop wrote: »
    has anybody bothered to point out that she is 16 and shouldnt have been out and about drunk?

That's a whole separate issue and to be fair even the best parents in the world couldn't stop a 16-17 year old from drinking. At that age, you cannot watch them all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So the people posting her online details and writing to the place where her father works wouldn't have happened if she watched what she drank? You're not defending it are you? Again, what she did is not what the thread is about, if it was it would be closed. It's about the online provocative reaction. She does not deserve any of this despite of what she drank.

Indeed, it seems that level of over reaction and bullying is now just the norm on the net and it is seen as acceptable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I agree.

So far I have reported to Youtube the presence of the video five times (5 times too on other sites).
    The original poster is clever to change the title now every time.
    He is even appealing for others to reupload it because he getting tired of trying to share it.

Legally he could (should?) be accused/charged with some sort of 'Trespass' law.

* Trespass is the oldest form of tortious liability which consists of direct interference with a person. A person is liable once the rights of a victim have been infringed although there might be no material loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Keep searching for a way to justify the bullying of a 16 year old girl, you won't find it.

I'm not trying to justify it..I actually don't care about it....I'm sure she has enough people to feel sorry for her already...

I'm saying it's double standards....Simple....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

If bullying occurs in an instance such as this, eh wouldn't she just close her twitter and FB accounts until it blows over? Or altogether and set up new ones only accessible by her friends to post on?

I know a person shouldn't have to but, this seems like a simple enough solution.

You put yourself out there in the first place, reel yourself in for a while. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Froyo wrote: »
    If bullying occurs in an instance such as this, eh wouldn't she just close her twitter and FB accounts until it blows over? Or altogether and set up new ones only accessible by her friends to post on?

I know a person shouldn't have to but, this seems like a simple enough solution.

You put yourself out there in the first place, reel yourself in for a while. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

She has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,765 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MarkMc wrote: »
    Also, the video of the cork girls did not result in the receiving death threats

Is there actual proof that kpmg girl has received death threats?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

People have tracked her address, started bombarding the company her dad works at, contacted her school etc.

Its gone way beyond htat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

In certain arenas maybe. I really hate when people talk about free speech etc on here. Folks, its a PRIVATE website, you do not have any!! I'm gonna keep on trotting that out until it sticks. Hmmm, maybe I should put it in my sig
    That's the point I'm getting at, there seems to be a perception among certain people that as long as there is a screen and a keyboard between them and their subject, then their actions should have no consequences.

It's not confined to sites where people have (relative) anonymity either, you see what people will post from their own Facebook/Twitter/etc accounts. I dunno, maybe some of them think that the internet is some sort of bubble where only those that agree with them read their posts, but I genuinely believe most of them believe they should be allowed say what they want with impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sadly, that's not how bullying works. People who know her in real life may also have a go at her. If ever she decides to go back online, she may have all this thrown back at her.

Is there actual proof that kpmg girl has received death threats?

I've seen threats online on various other sites, some have been deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If it was a video of her discussing philosophy it would be a non issue but the reason she has been targeted is because she thinks she is better than the person recording calling them a loser/pleb/etc. and saying they earn minimum wage.

In the current economic climate there's alot of people out there who work for minimum wage so in a way her abuse targets these people also which is why it's aggravated alot of people and why she's become the subject of 'cyber-bullying'.

Some people have taken is a bit too far but that's all too common on the internet and there's nothing that can be done about it without heavy heavy restrictions which would ruin the current state of the open internet.

People should just have a laugh at a video of some girl making an eejit of herself and move on. She will be out of the spotlight in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    I'm not trying to justify it..I actually don't care about it....I'm sure she has enough people to feel sorry for her already...

I'm saying it's double standards....Simple....

The league of Ireland fan didn't have his facebook profile and twitter shared so much that they had to be shut down. The League of Ireland fan's father's company wasn't bombarded with abuse because of his actions. The League of Ireland fan wasn't subjected to the same level of personal abuse that this girl has been. It is not double standards...simple

...Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Can a person be totally ignorant after the fact that something is out there happening and they already know it?

Also, to say "Ignorance is bliss" might have applied more so years ago before mass-media and everyone's ability to access it - now its not so easy to escape from it.

Also, to say "Ignorance is bliss" don't negate the fact that a wrong is still being perpetuated and carried on.
    Its like you know an act is being committed (even worse, against yourself) and you decide to stick your head in the sand in retort action.

Just saying... NOT a personal go at your good-self.
    Points for debate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The league of Ireland fan didn't have his facebook profile and twitter shared so much that they had to be shut down. The League of Ireland fan's father's company wasn't bombarded with abuse because of his actions. The League of Ireland fan wasn't subjected to the same level of personal abuse that this girl has been. It is not double standards...simple

Do you know this league of Ireland fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Why not ask her yourself. But as Humanji has said, its more the responses that they would be worried about, rather than the video.

That's not what we were talking about. You said that publishing a video taken of someone in a public place but without their consent would fall under the Defamation Act.
    If its filmed in a public place. I'm unsure on the law, but even if consent is not required, the Defamation Act can come into play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't see how the video can be defaming. I thought one of the core aspects of the act is that it must be false.

Lyaiera wrote: »

That's not what we were talking about. You said that publishing a video taken of someone in a public place but without their consent would fall under the Defamation Act.

I miss understood what she said, reread it and read humanjis response then posted. So sue me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,765 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've seen threats online on various other sites, some have been deleted

Ok so all we have is your anecdotes. No proof.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Higher wrote: »
    People have tracked her address, started bombarding the company her dad works at, contacted her school etc.

Thats just stupid and mental.
    If I thought my own kids (too young at the mo) were in the future, involved in something like that... trust me, they would NOT go unpunished.

I don't see how the video can be defaming. I thought one of the core aspects of the act is that it must be false.

I miss interpreted. Nicola was referring to responses being covered under the defamation act

Ok so all we have is your anecdotes. No proof.

And I assume the 100's of other people who read it. Death threats are only one element. The abuse in itself is still there to see and thats bad enough imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I miss understood what she said, reread it and read humanjis response then posted. So sue me

I'd prefer to start a good conspiracy first. Something about the smileys being actual photographs of a people preparing to announce themselves to the world and the whole smiley business is just to get people accustomed.

:P < - - - -

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

And I assume the 100's of other people who read it. Death threats are only one element. The abuse in itself is still there to see and thats bad enough imo

Not withstanding people creating Facebook, Twitter stuff in relation to it and her face being plastered everywhere on it. Cyber - bullying is one thing, but she walks down the street or goes out for a night out and she's identified, and sadly, some people might make her a target (seems she has a twin too, so could be an innocent target).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

humanji wrote: »
    Sadly, that's not how bullying works. People who know her in real life may also have a go at her. If ever she decides to go back online, she may have all this thrown back at her.

Just to add to this -

I was 'bullied' online for about 6 months, because somebody I knew online for years had a problem with me after I cut contact with him for sending me dick pics that I didn't want. As he was popular on all the sites I use (bar boards), I was ostracised.

I spent 6 months receiving death threats, insults, abuse and such, from many different people. I got Facebook, twitter and text messages, on top of messages on the other sites I used. Eventually, it all blew over, but started up again just last night.

It's not all that easy to stop cyber bullying because if somebody doing the bullying is halfway decent with a computer, they can find numerous ways to contact you.

While I can ignore it and just block anyone annoying me, how is a 16 year old kid expected to deal with it?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Just to add to this -

I was 'bullied' online for about 6 months, because somebody I knew online for years had a problem with me after I cut contact with him for sending me dick pics that I didn't want. As he was popular on all the sites I use (bar boards), I was ostracised.

I spent 6 months receiving death threats, insults, abuse and such, from many different people. I got Facebook, twitter and text messages, on top of messages on the other sites I used. Eventually, it all blew over, but started up again just last night.

It's not all that easy to stop cyber bullying because if somebody doing the bullying is halfway decent with a computer, they can find numerous ways to contact you.

While I can ignore it and just block anyone annoying me, how is a 16 year old kid expected to deal with it?

And then multiply that by the tens of thousands of people (maybe hundreds soon)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement