Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit and Run

• 28-02-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Thought to submit to public opinion:

Got hit and run last night (27 Feb) on the Wolfe Tone street, at about 20:15. Me and my wife were in the car parked on the side of the street, the normal spot for parking, I was talking on the phone. A lady walked past our car, that we clearly recognised, and got into parked car behind ours and start to drive off.
    Next moment a bang, moment of silence, I got out of my car to see what did just happen, and there she was in her car looking at me, I thought she was going to get out of the car, but she just drove past me and speeded down the street. Not a nice thing to do.

So I took down the car reg, make of the car, colour etc, the lot, and reported to the Garda. We even described them the driver.

I am a bit frustrated. The lady should have took responsibility for her actions, acted like an adult, and everything I am sure would have been fine. But because she drove off and left me at the scene with damaged car, I had to report it to Garda.

I would like to offer this lady an advise, report the accident to Garda and take responsibility while it is not too late. If we come to an agreement I do not want to press charges, just to get damage fixed. If anyone knows her or seen her car, please let her know. Otherwise I would be left with no option but to press charges.

I will not publish the registration number of the car, unless it is necessary, but the car is RED NISSAN ALMERA N15, HATCHBACK, CUSTOM NUMBER PLATE (black numbers with red outlines). I can put more information about the car, if required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Put the matter out of your head - just let your insurance company and the Gardaí deal with it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

She was probably drunk, no license, no insurance, any amount of reasons she drove off really. She will probably deny it if and when the garda approach her or maybe she will say she thought the scary man jumped out of his car and she panicked lol. Either way it's not what you need. Best of luck, hope it gets sorted quick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

You can get this lady's details from the motor tax dept of the city council, if you want to track her down.

You can get this lady's details from the motor tax dept of the city council, if you want to track her down.
    They'll have her details, but they won't give them to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mr.hider

Cheers guys,

@Chriscl1: she wasn't drunk, she was fine, as I took a note at her as walked down the street towards the car. I let the Gardaí sort out is she has all the legal stuff.

@Anan1: I am not a big fan of insurance companies, the least I have to deal with them the better. Going to insurance company would be my last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

She probably panicked, which of course is the wrong thing to do.
    The insurance company should be able to sort it out for you.

@The Mustard: I have her details, I am not going to contact her myself, don't have time and I am not allowed legally. As I said, I leave this stuff to Gardaí to sort out.

Maybe you're right.

In any case, they'll give them to the OP's solicitor, should he write on the OP's behalf.

Afaik, the Council is obliged to give the details under certain circumstances, according to some Statutory Instrument or other. I can't remember it offhand. I'd have to look it up.

The Gardai will probably give the details anyway.

(This post is in reply to Anan1)

mr.hider wrote: »
    @The Mustard: I have her details, I am not going to contact her myself, don't have time and I am not allowed legally. As I said, I leave this stuff to Gardaí to sort out.

Fair enough. Let the cops sort it out.

@biko: Yes, I think she panicked, that is why I wanna see if she is on this forum, or anyone here knows her. I want to give her a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Was there much damage to the car ??

@Anan1: I am not a big fan of insurance companies, the least I have to deal with them the better. Going to insurance company would be my last resort.
    You've already paid your insurance company to look after this kind of thing for you. Given that the other party has already shown bad faith, why would you needlessly bring that kind of hassle & stress upon yourself? The woman who hit you could mess you around forever. By the way, I hope you've at least reported the incident to your insurance company? That's not optional.

@KTRIC: not that much to make a run for it. I haven't assessed the damage, but I am sure it is way less than going through legal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

any neck pains involved?

@pcardin: nah, she was just driving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

@pcardin: nah, she was just driving off.

lol. good for her. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you wish to persue this then you need to at least inform your insurance company of the incident so that they can have a record of it.

Personally I would inform the Gardai and my insurance company and let them deal with; its what I pay them a stupid amount of money for after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Why are you not prepared to press charges if she comes forward?
    Would you still stand by this if someone had been injured in your car?

She left the scene of an accident and obviously failed to report it - both offences in the eyes of the law. I hope the Garda do decide to prosecute off their own backs.

If she is responsible enough to be driving a car, then she is responsible enough to be accountable for her own actions. No excuses can justify her behaviour (panicking/no insurance/over the limit etc etc)

Hit and runs are a reason why car insurance is so sky high.

Also, if you have reported this incident to your insurance company and you decide not to persue the insurance claim at a later date be aware that the fact that you have contacted your insurance company can be classed as a claim which may affect any NCB or your next years premium.

Good luck whatever the outcome.....

@Limbo123: I am not going to press charges if the lady will take responsibility for her actions. If she decides to keep quiet, then I will prosecute her to the full extent of the law.
    Luckily neither me or my wife got injured, but we were in bit of shock.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

hi mr.hider,

I hope that you have informed the insurance company regardless whether you are going to make a claim or not. they should have a record of the event in case yer wan decides to deny the incident.

anyway best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Only the the Guardai can prosecute/press charges not you, you can only persue the civil claim

@LIGHTNING: I have reported it to the Garda straight after the accident. So it is full process, unless lady in question makes an effort to rectify the problem.

@LIGHTNING: I have reported it to the Garda straight after the accident. So it is full process, unless lady in question makes an effort to rectify the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭lau1247

it's a good thing you didn't get caught up in the moment and try to jump in front of her car trying to restrict her from moving.. she might not stop at all :eek:

hope she get caught..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@Limbo123: I am not going to press charges if the lady will take responsibility for her actions. If she decides to keep quiet, then I will prosecute her to the full extent of the law.
    Luckily neither me or my wife got injured, but we were in bit of shock.

Cheers.

Sorry for your troubles but...why you make this incident public without making public the name or car reg plate !?

Do you expect that the driver to read this post and contact you !?

sorry,don't get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Limbo123 wrote: »
    Also, if you have reported this incident to your insurance company and you decide not to persue the insurance claim at a later date be aware that the fact that you have contacted your insurance company can be classed as a claim which may affect any NCB or your next years premium.

I dont think is true to be honest, or at least I dont think its a common occurance. I have reported two seperate incidents I have had to my insurance companies in recent years (two different insurers) and neither went on to be a claim as I settled with the people involved myself, and neither incident in any way affected my premium or NCB. If you do with to proceed claiming from your own insurer or the other parties then your insurance company must be notified fairly shortly after the incident so that they have a record of the incident.

If anyone has experience to prove otherwise then Im happy to be proven wrong (or not happy, in this case!)

@rolion: I could expose the car registration number, but what good would it do. I recon the world is small enough for some one who knows the lady might let her know that I am reasonable. It is just the way I am, I don't like to beat the person without giving her the chance to explain herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

@rolion: I could expose the car registration number, but what good would it do. I recon the world is small enough for some one who knows the lady might let her know that I am reasonable. It is just the way I am, I don't like to beat the person without giving her the chance to explain herself.

She had ample chance to explain herself at the scene. Instead she opted to bugget off. Shock me arse. You're being very naive and by not reporting the uncident in a timely fashion you are complicating things quite possibly to your disadvantage.

Have you informed your insurer?

• Advertisement

@Anan1: yep.

Advertisement