Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking LeapCard balance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The card is encoded with

1. Auto top up enabled
    2. Auto top up amount
    3. Last auto top date

When the reader sees the balance is below the threshold (the threshold is set on the reader itself)

It checks if the last auto top up date is sufficiently old I think auto top up is limited to once in 7 days only

If ok it adds the configured amount to the cards balance and stores the details for later submission to the back office for direct debit collection

Anytime a transaction is undertaken the cards memory is altered

The overheard on the reader is minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

stop wrote: »
    But from Dravokivich's comments about and my reading of the auto top guide, in the first (one off) instance, when Leap is passing information to the card that it is now to auto top up by X amount, that information must have been passed by the Dublin Bus machine. (once again, assuming only DB use)
    Otherwise how would the card have the information that it is now capable of auto top up.

I think you must go to dart, Luas or Payzone to complete the registration for auto-topup, after starting it online. Once your card has been enabled, all your interactions can be soly with Dublin bus and it should work perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Any word on when this auto-topup will be rolled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭scanlanavia

Leapcard 2015.

Disappearing Online Topups from credit card.
    Topped up Daughter's card by EU10 on 17/1. went to a payzone shop to check balance on 19th still no sign.
    24/1 checked again in payzone shop. Still no sign of it.
    Leapcard.ie website down. unreachable in fact.
    All I have is the transaction confirmation email from 17th.
    What kind of a system is this if we cannot trust topups in the first place..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Leapcard 2015.

Disappearing Online Topups from credit card.
    Topped up Daughter's card by EU10 on 17/1. went to a payzone shop to check balance on 19th still no sign.
    24/1 checked again in payzone shop. Still no sign of it.
    Leapcard.ie website down. unreachable in fact.
    All I have is the transaction confirmation email from 17th.
    What kind of a system is this if we cannot trust topups in the first place..
    I've not heard of many problems with on-line top-ups.

Are you certain you selected Payzone as the location to collect hte top-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Victor wrote: »
    I've not heard of many problems with on-line top-ups.

Are you certain you selected Payzone as the location to collect hte top-up?

Did the OP notice whether the "S" was present on the address line of Leapcard website,as in httpS(S=Secure) ?
    That "Site Unreachable" message would be ringing alarm bells for me,I'd be off running malaware/spyware scans on my machine ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Load location - All Luas Stops - Any Ticket Machine or Validator

thats what it says on receipt.
    I take that to mean the nearby shop selling leap card top ups etc.
    the shop = vslidator no ?

leapcard.ie is not even up today

the transaction was logged by leap card so nothing is amiss at time of purchase. It's what's not happened since that confounds me, the purchaser

the transaction was logged by leap card so nothing is amiss at time of purchase. It's what's not happened since that confounds me, the purchaser

Heuston.....Leapcard's got a problem !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Load location - All Luas Stops - Any Ticket Machine or Validator

thats what it says on receipt.
    I take that to mean the nearby shop selling leap card top ups etc.
    the shop = vslidator no ?

leapcard.ie is not even up today

No, it means ticket machines on platforms and validators for tagging on/off; not Payzone outlets.

• Advertisement

Oh. I learn something new every day.
    So next time I risk topping up, what category of option should I use from list provide corresponds to a shop with payzone facility?

Just logged in to leapcard.ie today and there is now no trace of the transaction in the transaction history. They say if not claimed/updated in shop/other withjn 21 days then transaction is cancelled and refunded to card/bank account... In this case Im concerned of a vanished transaction... and they wonder why electronic voting got rejected...

I will have to take it up with a human tomorrow and send them back the transaction "email receipt" to get that tenner reinstated...
    So beware out there if using online top up from leapcard.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Oh. I learn something new every day.
    So next time I risk topping up, what category of option should I use from list provide corresponds to a shop with payzone facility?

Just logged in to leapcard.ie today and there is now no trace of the transaction in the transaction history. They say if not claimed/updated in shop/other withjn 21 days then transaction is cancelled and refunded to card/bank account... In this case Im concerned of a vanished transaction... and they wonder why electronic voting got rejected...

I will have to take it up with a human tomorrow and send them back the transaction "email receipt" to get that tenner reinstated...
    So beware out there if using online top up from leapcard.ie

The third option, which is "Payzone LEAP Card Agent"

ok. thanks.
    I went to a tagged on machine today.. no joy there either... transaction did not show in history either though only it occured 8 days ago or 6 days depending whether you factor in 48 hours to get processed.
    so. I'm quite disappointed with this flaw.
    let's call it Leakcard !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I avoid some this messing by only doing a top up at a train or Luas stop. Doing it via website shop and bus seems a very disjointed process.

If you are nowhere near a train/Luas then this is a bit more awkward. Thankfully my route changed so I switched from bus to train. But when I got the bus I used to do it that way.

beauf wrote: »
    I avoid some this messing by only doing a top up at a train or Luas stop. Doing it via website shop and bus seems a very disjointed process.

If you are nowhere near a train/Luas then this is a bit more awkward. Thankfully my route changed so I switched from bus to train. But when I got the bus I used to do it that way.

Forget about Website/Bus as an option because it does NOT exist....the option is Payzone Terminal...full stop.

Otherwise it's Auto Top-Up,which sadly is somewhat more restrictive for many Leapcard customers...€30 minimum top-up is Excessive.

Thanks for hints. yes i rang up and yes I need to drive to nearest luas to claim the €10. awkward indeed.
    shouldn't matter where you claim your rightful credit once transferred from bank or card
    I agree auto top up minimum of €30 it too high..

so retrieved the missing €10. at the luas ticket machine.

the thing is though. there is no transactional record on line in the meantime, complete hidden from customer's view. but not for leap card operator.

if unclaimed after 21 days its refunded.

yes. cash topups from now on..
    online option is frought with issues not convenient at all... a somewhat compromised setup.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Forget about Website/Bus as an option because it does NOT exist....the option is Payzone Terminal...full stop..

I said website shop bus.

Personally going to a shop is as awkward as going to rail or Luas stop. But at least the station its one transaction from payment to leap card.

Incidentally that online leap transaction page where it adds and removes amounts as you tag off. Could be displayed much simpler if just showed the final charge for the journey only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It does if you only use the buses. I suggest you change your form of transport so :P

The touch on/offs are seen by us as one journey, but for the card each touch, is an action it has done. It's not thinking about what the journey is. Only what occurred at that point in time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You really shouldn't have to select where you pick up your online topup.

They should automatically be available at all Luas and IR validators and at payzone shops.

And also on the bus when DB finally replaces their rubbish ticket machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it's a bit mad alright. I only use the bus, so to pick up my online topup I have to go the local shop anyway, so I may as well buy the topup there.

It does if you only use the buses. I suggest you change your form of transport so :P

?
    The touch on/offs are seen by us as one journey, but for the card each touch, is an action it has done. It's not thinking about what the journey is. Only what occurred at that point in time.

It's traditional to turn off debug mode when a system goes live.

bk wrote: »
    You really shouldn't have to select where you pick up your online topup....

Exactly. The system seem to reflect the mindset of a programmer, not an end user.

That said I think its a great system. it just feels a little bit like beta software. But can appreciate the hardware infrastructure is holding it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

?

For a bus there is only touch on, not touch on/touch off. So each time you look at the transaction history as a bus user, you don't need to try and calculate the fare you are charged when looking that the touch on amount, along with the rebate applied.
    It's traditional to turn off debug mode when a system goes live.

Viewing both the touch on event and the touch off event in your card's history isn't a debug mode. The tab states explicitly that it is "Travel Credit History Information," I'd be surprised if I was in the minority in wanting to see everything that affects the credit balance on my card as opposed to a summary.

For a bus there is only touch on, not touch on/touch off. ...

I said tag off. Nothing to do with buses.
    Viewing both the touch on event and the touch off event in your card's history isn't a debug mode. ...

It doesn't show you you what a journey cost. The end user would have to do the calculation. Maybe I'm alone in expecting not to have to do a calculation to find out the cost per journey.

Look at it another way. For buses its shows cost per journey. For tag off it doesn't. Unless of course you look at it from a programmers POV, simply record the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I said tag off. Nothing to do with buses.

I think that the previous poster was posting tongue-in-cheek to be fair.
    It doesn't show you you what a journey cost. The end user would have to do the calculation. Maybe I'm alone in expecting not to have to do a calculation to find out the cost per journey.

Look at it another way. For buses its shows cost per journey. For tag off it doesn't. Unless of course you look at it from a programmers POV, simply record the event.

Oyster will show you the detail if you want it (pluses and minuses), but for each trip that you take it will only show the summary cost on the main journey history. You need to select "detail" to see the tag on-tag off info.

I'm rather surprised that LEAP haven't done this.

They probably will when they finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They probably will when they finish it.

In 20xx? Or maybe 2xxx?

It works well for rail users though.

The buses have a bit to go. Beats cash though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Impressed by the new Leapcard android app, checking balance, and topping up, progress....

Advertisement