Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and Societies Awards 2012

• 02-03-2012 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Congratulations to all the clubs and societies who got shortlisted.

Anyone who wants to see the shortlisted submissions they are available here

http://skynet.ie/~yuppy700/Hustings%20Submissions/

The hustings take place on Tuesday 6th of March.

Who is your favourite to win in each category ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

no Brian Stewart for Best Society Person? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

dont know about favorutie but i know who id like to see at least one of them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Skynet submission. Best. Submission. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

yuppy700 wrote: »
    Congratulations to all the clubs and societies who got shortlisted.

Anyone who wants to see the shortlisted submissions they are available here

http://skynet.ie/~yuppy700/Hustings%20Submissions/

The hustings take place on Tuesday 6th of March.

Who is your favourite to win in each category ?

I think the worst part is the contents of that docx were just copied and pasted from a a webpage then hosted as a docx on skynet. Seriously, could you not have just hosted it as html or txt even?
    OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Skynet submission. Best. Submission. Ever.

Just when you think skynet can't embarrass themselves further. that has got to be the worst and most inappropriate submission in ul c&s history. They should be penalised for taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

johnryano wrote: »
    I think the worst part is the contents of that docx were just copied and pasted from a a webpage then hosted as a docx on skynet. Seriously, could you not have just hosted it as html or txt even?

They were circulated as a .docx file as far as I'm aware.... Yuppy just made the docx files publicly available. I think they are going to be available on ulwolves.ie too
    Just when you think skynet can't embarrass themselves further. that has got to be the worst and most inappropriate submission in ul c&s history. They should be penalised for taking the piss.

Don't see how the computer society has embarressed themselves prior to this (or how this is embarressing for them).

I have never seen previous submissions so it's hard to say it's the worst ever. They made the shortlist beating out every other society (bar out in UL and journalism (which they could have beaten or drawn with (or lost to))) so clearly there was worse submissions or every other society was too unorganised/mismanaged to submit something better then the computer society submission. In my opinion that just reflects badly on every other society that didn't submit to new and improved, particulary with the ton of new societies this year!

The computer society got an extra bonus budget point and a potential to go to the BICS awards and potentially to win the hustings. I say well done.

• Advertisement

reunion wrote: »
    They were circulated as a .docx file as far as I'm aware.... Yuppy just made the docx files publicly available. I think they are going to be available on ulwolves.ie too

Yes, some noodle head copied lots of text out of a web page into a word file and emailed it to the secretaries of all the clubs and socs. This is embarrassing. What is also embarrassing is the SECRETARY of the COMP SOC hosts these DOCX. Anyone with a bit of computational integrity would never host docx on skynet.

I have never seen previous submissions so it's hard to say it's the worst ever.

Cuinas so.
    They made the shortlist beating out every other society (bar out in UL and journalism (which they could have beaten or drawn with (or lost to))) so clearly there was worse submissions or every other society was too unorganised/mismanaged to submit something better then the computer society submission.

Nice trick. It is obvious no other society submitted an entry. The comp soc cynically entered a token submission just to get on the list.
    The computer society got an extra bonus budget point and a potential to go to the BICS awards and potentially to win the hustings. I say well done.

exactly, pure cynicism

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Comp Soc nomination bit of a disgrace I reckon. Looking forward to all other husts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Hi Cambridge/ Sid justice/ johnryano

Welcome back to boards.

Not going to lie, you were missed there for a while.

How is your manifesto going? Find room for the rail tracks yet?

I have never seen previous submissions so it's hard to say it's the worst ever. They made the shortlist beating out every other society (bar out in UL and journalism (which they could have beaten or drawn with (or lost to))) so clearly there was worse submissions or every other society was too unorganised/mismanaged to submit something better then the computer society submission. In my opinion that just reflects badly on every other society that didn't submit to new and improved, particulary with the ton of new societies this year!

Regardless I believe it is a disgrace to be there. It is a mockery to Out in UL and Journalism who actually put effort into it.

Yes it looks bad on all other Societies because there is quite obviously better ones out there from what I have read of Comp Soc's nomination and from my experience interacting with other societies. They should have nominated themselves, but ah well.

This is obviously something that will hopefully be fixed by council to make sure it doesn't happen again, as in if there are only 3 nominations it doesn't mean they should automatically get through.

But yeh to try and turn this around on other societies (while it does make them look bad to a certain degree) is just dodging the simple fact that the entire nomination is a disgrace, written by someone who knew he would get in on a technicality and who just loves to do this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Hi Cambridge/ Sid justice/ johnryano

Welcome back to boards.

Not going to lie, you were missed there for a while.

How is your manifesto going? Find room for the rail tracks yet?

you forgot cambridge4prez/colon there delta ;)

• Advertisement

Regardless I believe it is a disgrace to be there. It is a mockery to Out in UL and Journalism who actually put effort into it.

But yeh to try and turn this around on other societies (while it does make them look bad to a certain degree) is just dodging the simple fact that the entire nomination is a disgrace, written by someone who knew he would get in on a technicality and who just loves to do this kind of stuff.

I think if journalism and out in ul were the only two candidates, that would be a disgrace.

who cares who the submission is written by? If it was written by a different committee member would it be ok?

either way he got his society an extra budget point. Something each committee should be trying to do (maximizing budget points).

maybe council can try to stop this from happening again, but I think this just happened because people stopped caring about submitting for the hustings. No point in reducing the already low submission numbers (last year they requested submissions and extended deadlines because the submissions were so low), I just hope this highlights to every club and society the importance of submitting for these awards as you could be nominated...

(last year they requested submissions and extended deadlines because the submissions were so low),

I don't believe this was the case last year, having served on the Exec and gone through those nominations. I could be wrong however.

It wouldn't matter who that nomination was written by, it shouldn't be a nomination and it is not just ok to start blaming all the other Societies for not submitting.

What is unjust about this is now, a Society that clearly did not go through any effort whatsoever for their nomination can now potentially take this award from two societies, that clearly worked their asses off and put the effort into the nomination. Everything else aside that is the issue I have with it.

What is unjust about this is now, a Society that clearly did not go through any effort whatsoever for their nomination can now potentially take this award from two societies, that clearly worked their asses off and put the effort into the nomination. Everything else aside that is the issue I have with it.

But that's the case every year with every submission. A club or society can do a really good submission and still lose because of the presentation. It also works in reverse, you could do a bad submission and still win. Also the submissions of the shortlist was released (as agreed at council) because last year people had voted prior to the start of presentations. Also it allows the chair to know what happened in the last year so information outside of the presentations can be told to be disregarded and clubs and socs can be informed prior to the presentation.

If comp soc had just submitted we would like to nominate ourselves would that have been ok?
    It was just the unnecessary content in the finance and summary sections. It wasn't needed and that's the problem I would see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

Ginge....What is with this vendetta that you have against the computer society being up for an award ? The society has improved over the last 12 months and because of that they submitted for the best new/improved society. Their submission was amongst the top 3 for the catagory and as a result they were shortlisted.

They made a big enough effort to submit a nomination and the effort was good enough to make the shortlist.

They were among the *only* 3 to submit as far as I am aware. There is no vendetta against the computer society whatsoever. Just because I say they shouldn't be there does not mean I have a vendetta against the society.

The nomination was tripe, nothing more and the exec should have the power to just allow two deserving societies threw.

By reading your nomination I should be able to see absolutely everything that you have done and improved upon, instead I see practically nothing, just funny remarks and general taking the piss. I should know what you are going to talk about in the hust and I should know why you are supposedly the best improved society, instead I get nothing from it.

Again if either Out in UL or Journalism lose this, it will be a disgrace.

They were among the *only* 3 to submit as far as I am aware. There is no vendetta against the computer society whatsoever. Just because I say they shouldn't be there does not mean I have a vendetta against the society.

The nomination was tripe, nothing more and the exec should have the power to just allow two deserving societies threw.

By reading your nomination I should be able to see absolutely everything that you have done and improved upon, instead I see practically nothing, just funny remarks and general taking the piss. I should know what you are going to talk about in the hust and I should know why you are supposedly the best improved society, instead I get nothing from it.

how do hustings work?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I can't say I'm super happy with the whole thing. I understand why Brian did it, but having worked to the bone to do one for the Anime & Manga Society a few years ago it kind of grates.
    Just so I understand this Keith, if the Computer Society do a presentation which proved (an opinion) they deserved to win, would it still be a disgrace to win?
    how do hustings work?
    Each nominated party gets 3 minutes to give a presentation to every other club & society. Then people vote on a 1 to 3 scale (1 being the best, 3 the worst). Each Club & Society gets one vote.

I think you've got this wrong. If Out in UL or Journalism are the genuinely better improved society, they deserve to win over Skynet. They don't deserve to win just because their secretary (/rep) wrote a longer and more substantial case for their submission. Sure it's all exaggerated and sycophancy anyway.

Don't be calling things a disgrace which aren't a disgrace. The SU treatment of innocent farm animals is a disgrace, skynet chancing their arm to exploit a loop hole and getting a budget point and a chance (albeit small) to win a group prize isn't a disgrace, it's just good business.

Poor call ginge, poor call.

Guys it's just my opinion on it.

The reason why I think it is a disgrace is that someone who under a section named finance wrote:

"LOL we got loads of money. we will make sure to spend it all."

My problem is the presentation to a degree. The system is there to ensure that the best candidates are chosen, the best. The way they do this is by the quality of submissions that come in to the exec for shortlist, instead of everyone being able to do a 3 minute presentation to council.

While yes, if there was only 3 then why not? But I see these awards as something to aim for. They are prestigious and opportunities for them should not given out to applications such as that, even if on technicality. Over recent years yes it has been seen that people tend not to submit anymore, whether it's from lack of getting shortlisted or other reasons I don't know, it is *definitely* something the exec need to examine and encourage more submissions, because there are great clubs/socs out there.

Computer Soc could have done great this year, maybe they are the best new/improved. I don't know I wasn't in it, but I should be able to tell exactly why from the submission and I can't really get anything from it, other than "we worked well together" and they have money and will spend it.

I believe there should only be 2 socs shortlisted, or at least the exec should have that option to them should this happen again (I hope it won't as in I mean I hope more nominations come in).

Sorry if it's being harsh, I just think more effort should have gone in an application where under the Finance it was:

"LOL we got loads of money. we will make sure to spend it all."

And Summation:

"we are unreal !!! Check out the minecraft server"

Let me ask a question;

If six nominations came in under any category with that level of information total in the sections, or even the little bit more they had in some, would you seriously expect the executive to put 3 of them through, and if so, how would they possibly be able to score them fairly?

On a side note, I'm hoping the new scoring system on nominations might encourage people to nominate themselves more if they have an idea on the sections they need to work on, I dunno.

I think that is really the last I'm gonna say on it, anyone who feels like it have a chat with me in the C&S office sometime.

Let me ask a question;

If six nominations came in under any category with that level of information total in the sections, or even the little bit more they had in some, would you seriously expect the executive to put 3 of them through, and if so, how would they possibly be able to score them fairly?

I guess the exec would have to go with what's in front of them. If they couldn't distinguish the socs based on submissions they could petition the socs to resubmit more exhaustive submissions or choose the short list arbitrarily
    I think that is really the last I'm gonna say on it, anyone who feels like it have a chat with me in the C&S office sometime.

you've an office?

• Advertisement

you've an office?

No, there's an office upstairs in the SU where Ginge, yuppy and on some occasions myself (and others) hang out to pass the time and talk C&S. It's also technically the CSLO's office.

k must drop in some time and discuss c&s stuff with the three kings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Regardless of what Comp Soc may have done, that was a disgraceful nomination, really took the piss, especially the finance part. I'm in a society that had been cut very short over the last year financially and to see 'lots of money lol' is rather sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Why was your society monies cut?

k must drop in some time and discuss c&s stuff with the three kings

Me? King? I wish! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Personally, being in the Journo Soc,
    I'm quite happy with the Computer Societies submission,
    Because, even with all their computer expertise for the presentation,
    They have nailed their feet to the ground at the start of a sprint,
    In regards to finding decent information to put into it,
    In regards to their submission.

I don't mean to be overly confident,
    But I think I can cut the Comp Soc out of the race in this case,
    So, in my eyes, it will be between Journo Soc and Out in UL.

However not knowing what Out in UL have accomplished thus far,
    That is as far as I can predict,
    And I'd say it'll all be down to the presentation to separate the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Why was your society monies cut?
    Without going into it in detail here it was a combination of messups with the C&S money issue in September, mismatched budget distribution, and we feel there were conflicts between one of our committee members and the C&S. It's not something I'm going to kick a fuss over but it is very annoying to see the above when we're looking at a meagre bank account and really needing the extra funding to push us forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

We started with nothing anyway, bar the money received from registration to the club and a voucher or two I think.
    Got a bit from a table quiz and that's about it money wise.
    Very limited in what you can do, with a new Club or Soc...
    We'll see how this goes, and what the budget is like next year...
    Can only hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Anybody recommend the drama society? Hoping to join it at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

I'm proud to be a Skynet member, but I have to agree with Ginge here. The submission they made was beyond poor - it was an absolute joke by someone who knew they could get away with it and raise everyone's hackles. Clearly meant to be funny, but having seen serious submissions (from both a writing and judging point of view) in the past, the fact they made it on to the shortlist leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Whether they have improved as a society or not is the final issue, yes, but clearly the committee didn't think about it or make a group decision - given it was done so late I'd say that they didn't know about it 'til after it was submitted. This could be very embarrassing for the society if they're not prepared to make a good hust. I don't like seeing Skynet made a laughing stock over a submission that a) was made purely because the submitter they knew it would make the shortlist and b) abused this fact by taking the Michael altogether.

Advertisement