Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was great - Jim Rash did it justice...
    Annie swooning over the Dean was hilarious.
    Thought the Freaky Friday bit + Break Up Storyline was really clever...
    Its the first episode this season that has made me hope the show will get renewed - they really need to get their writing staff in order though if it is renewed. With Megan Ganz over on Modern Family now, they'll need some fresh blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I really enjoyed that.

But I dont know how much of that enjoyment was from them axing things that were clearly not working (troy/britta) and giving some characters something new to do (I dont think I heard a single Dean pun that whole episode)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Jim Rash clearly hit the gym hard over the break - it's always funny how Annie swoons over a Jeff/Don Draper confidence act.

First funny end scene as well, but Im not sure how to rate this season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Much, much better. There may be hope yet.

Yes, it was a much better episode that previous ones. Loved the whole body switch thing between Troy and Abed. Only thing that irked me was how in your face about the Dean's sexuality they were at the end. What worked was the undertones of what he was saying, but they just made it so blatantly obvious then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Yes, it was a much better episode that previous ones. Loved the whole body switch thing between Troy and Abed. Only thing that irked me was how in your face about the Dean's sexuality they were at the end. What worked was the undertones of what he was saying, but they just made it so blatantly obvious then!

They really seem to have this bizarre need to overemphasize jokes to the point where they stop being funny. First time: ha, very good. Second time: yes, that's OK, I did get it the first time. Third: Alright already. Fourth: you've somehow managed to make the first time retroactively not funny.

Nitpick: does Abed ever call Troy "buddy"? I would have thought that would be more the other way around. Yet it's the first thing switched AbedInTroy says to TroyInAbed(in a bed).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I'm not sure if people got this straight away, I didn't until later in the episode.
    But Troy and Abed didn't actually switch bodies, it was just sort of a coping measure for Troy to break up with Britta but he didn't want to jeopardise their friendship so he woke up being Abed and when he woke up the real Abed he soon caught on and just went along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm not sure if people got this straight away, I didn't until later in the episode.
    But Troy and Abed didn't actually switch bodies, it was just sort of a coping measure for Troy to break up with Britta but he didn't want to jeopardise their friendship so he woke up being Abed and when he woke up the real Abed he soon caught on and just went along with it.

it was explained as the episode went along.

Jim Rash did a good job with this one.

Oh so you think it's like a reversal of the usual thing where someone (or the whole group) go along with something to help Abed through something that he doesn't have the mental/social skills to deal with?

Interesting theory I have to say. What about the Dean and Jeff? There were two Jeffs and no Deans, I don't understand how that could have happened.

Oh so you think it's like a reversal of the usual thing where someone (or the whole group) go along with something to help Abed through something that he doesn't have the mental/social skills to deal with?

Interesting theory I have to say. What about the Dean and Jeff? There were two Jeffs and no Deans, I don't understand how that could have happened.

Dean was being aspirational... Jeff was having none of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Loved it. Absolutely loved it.

Probably the first time I've cared about any of the characters this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good God... that was actually very VERY good.

Hey Community writing staff... here's a tip: maybe let the Oscar winning screenwriter write more episodes!

So many great moments this episode.. makes up for the previous 10 mediocre to atrocious episodes!

Jim Rash writing any more this season? Probably unlikely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, I've been hanging about on this thread on the off chance the show might take a turn upwards again. Sounds like this week's episode was by all accounts a good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, I've been hanging about on this thread on the off chance the show might take a turn upwards again. Sounds like this week's episode was by all accounts a good one?

Yeah. This week was great, even up there with some of the bests from season 1 and 2 in my opinion.
    Last weeks episode was decent enough too if you didn't watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Yeah, probably the best episode since Troy & Abed's House Warming. Better than most of Season 3 anyway.

The Dean's perseverance and Jeff's complete reluctance to play along was excellent.

Loved Troy's Abedisms as well, it was spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Very good episode this week, reminded why I started watching it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Definite big improvement this week, hopefully it continues now. No complaints really except to ask is Jeff going to have a sentimental monologue every week now? It seems really out of character.

Definite big improvement this week, hopefully it continues now. No complaints really except to ask is Jeff going to have a sentimental monologue every week now? It seems really out of character.

Have you seen any of the past seasons??

miralize wrote: »
    Have you seen any of the past seasons??

All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

All of them.

Jeff is known for his sentimental monologues and rousing speeches usually to his own gain but sometimes to prove he's not totally self centered after all

• Advertisement

All of them.

The only difference with this one compared to others is that this was interlaced with cutaway scenes that helped finish the plot, it wasn't that much of a difference

Well I think they have been more soppy lately. It could be just me but anyway it's not a big deal. I was just nitpicking, I actually really enjoyed this week's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

What a brilliant episode! From the Dean being Jeff to Try and Abeds brilliant impressions of each other!
    Jim Rash(the Dean) wrote this ep and it is a pity he didn't write more.
    Anyone else notice the writing on the whiteboard in the study room behind Annie. That's October 19th!

Such a shame to still see Pierce get no story still....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Pierce isn't even on the show anymore really he must have filmed only bits and pieces because they either work around it or exclude him completely, Pity Chevy was so difficult as he was always one of the stronger characters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Odd, I didn't really like that episode a whole lot. Can't stand Rash's character either.

Moar paintball please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Well I think they have been more soppy lately. It could be just me but anyway it's not a big deal. I was just nitpicking, I actually really enjoyed this week's episode.

I'd agree with you, rousing speeches are one thing, but there has definitely been an increase in over-sentimental ramblings this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, so I had a look at the latest episode & yeah, it was actually kinda funny in places; definitely of a higher standard than when I dropped the series. I'd be interested in seeing more episodes penned by Jim Rash. Not sure I'd keep watching on the basis of one episode, but it's good to see that all is not lost just yet.

Chevy Chase's absence is really obvious at this stage though; the script didn't even try to pretend that they were writing him out of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For a Few Paintballs More was just on Sony TV.

*sigh*

I miss funny Community.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Inspector Spacetime T-shirt on Teebusters for the next 2 days (well, just under)..

184801dc6fb9d8df6b0c67fa369512b8InspectorSpacetime_ZoomImage.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like Community, but not that much. :)

Advertisement