Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

Ososlo wrote: »
    Roll call:D How did Day 1 go nikkilc and did you take the plunge marko93?

I did! I did Day 1 on Saturday, and Day 2 on Monday. I was planning on doing Day 3 today but it's been pouring from the heavens all day :(
    I've found both days ok so far, except the route I am going I seem to end up on this horrible hill for all of the seventh walk / bit of the run (it's a really long and steep hill ugh) D: Other then that, all is going well so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No shame in repeating a week or a session, for whatever reason. I have repeated a few myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

nikkilc wrote: »
    I did! I did Day 1 on Saturday, and Day 2 on Monday. I was planning on doing Day 3 today but it's been pouring from the heavens all day :(
    I've found both days ok so far, except the route I am going I seem to end up on this horrible hill for all of the seventh walk / bit of the run (it's a really long and steep hill ugh) D: Other then that, all is going well so far!

That's great news! Well done. Running in the rain is actually lovely but no harm having an extra day of rest before you do Day 3.

Pity about the hill alright. Maybe check out some other routes. Make it as easy on yourself as possible for the first few weeks!
    Well done:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

That's great news! Well done. Running in the rain is actually lovely but no harm having an extra day of rest before you do Day 3.

Pity about the hill alright. Maybe check out some other routes. Make it as easy on yourself as possible for the first few weeks!
    Well done:D
    +1 to running in the rain, I used to hate it but you cant avoid it in this country so just embrace it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Firedance wrote: »
    Dont do 3 days in a row, easy does it, there's no rush to crack on, can you run when you're back tomorrow or just pick up again on Thursday?

Actually, I think I'll be taking the plunge in the morning because if I don't I never will :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

another +1 for running in the rain, its really enjoyable, Mind you before I started running if I saw someone doing it i thought they were not the full shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon :D
    I started a number of weeks ago....June 22nd to be exact, and I'm loving it so far!

I'm using the Clear Sky 5K Runner – Couch to 5K app for iOS and find it very motivating. I feel that if I were to miss one of my sessions, I would ruin the consistent streak I have logged the past number of weeks....which hasn't happened yet thankfully.

Re background: I never played sport but I am an avid walker and took up indoor rowing in Jan of this year - although the latter has gone to the wayside since I started the Couch25K...I think I might do 2k on the rower on my recovery days; does anyone else engage in cardio exercise on their recovery days?? I never feel particularly tired or sore the following day, so wondering would it help or hinder my progress/ aerobic ability....?

Re Couch25K progress: I completed Wk4D1 this morning and to say it was tough would be an understatement, but I'm proud to say I conquered the beast and didn't stop once. :) I sometimes repeat a day if a find the session/week particularly tough...so will probably do 4 runs this week and see how I am before I progress to week 5.

I'm lethal for looking at the timings for weeks ahead and thinking 'Jaysus I'l never be able to do that', but thus far, all is going well.
    One challenge I do face from time to time is the the mental block I get telling me to stop running when I initially start, even though my breathing is fine and my legs/body are under no strain or pressure. Has anyone faced this while completing the sessions.... I usually just power through and try to distract myself with something else (song lyrics, etc.)

Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon :D
    I started a number of weeks ago....June 22nd to be exact, and I'm loving it so far!

I think I might do 2k on the rower on my recovery days; does anyone else engage in cardio exercise on their recovery days?? I never feel particularly tired or sore the following day, so wondering would it help or hinder my progress/ aerobic ability....?

Re Couch25K progress: I completed Wk4D1 this morning and to say it was tough would be an understatement, but I'm proud to say I conquered the beast and didn't stop once. :) I sometimes repeat a day if a find the session/week particularly tough...so will probably do 4 runs this week and see how I am before I progress to week 5.

I'm lethal for looking at the timings for weeks ahead and thinking 'Jaysus I'l never be able to do that', but thus far, all is going well.
    One challenge I do face from time to time is the the mental block I get telling me to stop running when I initially start, even though my breathing is fine and my legs/body are under no strain or pressure. Has anyone faced this while completing the sessions.... I usually just power through and try to distract myself with something else (song lyrics, etc.)

You're doing great. Well done:)

I think the rowing is a great compliment to your running on your days off. I don't see it as a negative at all. It'll all contribute to you getting fitter.

Great idea to repeat days in the plan to feel you've really conquered that run.
    It's a few years since I did C25k but yes I definitely would have had lots of mental demons telling me to stop running during the first few weeks. Those feelings went away completely for me after a few weeks. Really slow down the effort if you need to. Don't be afraid to take it to almost a walking pace if necessary (but don't actually walk ;) ).
    Best of luck and report back with your progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Long story short, been running for around 4 years. Have done 2 half marathons, but not following a plan resulted in overtraining injuries in an IT band injury (self diagnosed) each time.
    So after trying a charity 10k at the start of June and not being able to do half of it before I started getting pain in my knees, I finally went to a physio and luckily he didn't see any serious issues - just losts of tight muscles around the knees and inactive glutes.

With a month of excercises he gave me completed he gave me the ok to start running again but not alot and suggested the couch to 5k.

So downloaded it a few weeks ago and have completed 2 weeks now.

Even though they're just short runs with lots of walking, I'm feeling happier and healther just being out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

A week later and I've only done two more days eek..! However I did do two days where I did a 60min walk instead..and in my defense it has been raining a LOT haha.
    Hoping to get into a ROUTINE though soon.
    Also..I've only done one day of Week 2 but I actually preferred it to Week 1 hehe

• Advertisement

A week later and I've only done two more days eek..! However I did do two days where I did a 60min walk instead..and in my defense it has been raining a LOT haha.
    Hoping to get into a ROUTINE though soon.
    Also..I've only done one day of Week 2 but I actually preferred it to Week 1 hehe
    Hey Nikkilc, good on you for getting out again, do get into a routine sooner rather than later, once you form the habbit it'll be second nature to get out for a run. Regarding the weather, it rains here - a lot :D so best not to let that put you off or you'll spend a lot of time 'waiting for the weather to change' :)

Just did... Well tried to do Wk4 D2...and failed miserably :( really disappointed.

Wasn't that I was unable to do it physically, it was my head telling me to stop... to just quit, as if I didn't feel confident enough to do it (if that makes sense). Really feeling a damning sense of failure now. This is the first obstacle I've faced since I have started. I've never had to repeat a week, not even a session, only if I felt I needed to. Gah! Would love advice on where to go from here? Wk 4 is my white whale....

Just did... Well tried to do Wk4 D2...and failed miserably :( really disappointed.

Wasn't that I was unable to do it physically, it was my head telling me to stop... to just quit, as if I didn't feel confident enough to do it (if that makes sense). Really feeling a damning sense of failure now. This is the first obstacle I've faced since I have started. I've never had to repeat a week, not even a session, only if I felt I needed to. Gah! Would love advice on where to go from here? Wk 4 is my white whale....

Firstly, that's perfectly normal and has happened to every runner at some point in their running career so please dont feel quite such a failure. Running is 10% physical and 90% mental (or something like that!).

How much of the run did you do? Could you repeat it in 2 days & go from there? It wouldn't throw the schedule too much..

Most importantly dont give up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Firstly, that's perfectly normal and has happened to every runner at some point in their running career so please dont feel quite such a failure. Running is 10% physical and 90% mental (or something like that!).

How much of the run did you do? Could you repeat it in 2 days & go from there? It wouldn't throw the schedule too much..

+1 on this. Have Graduated the c25k, have a had a few runs that didn't go plan both while doing the plan and since. Chin up and repeat as many time as necessary. Many have even started over. No shame in that either.

Perfectly normal for the head to get the better of us all on some runs . You could go out in a day or so and find the same run easy . My advice would be try again in a day or so and start you run really slowly and speed up if you feel it's ok to do so.

I did Wk3 Day 2 last night. Was raining lightly when I went out but by the time I was finishing it off, it was lashing!
    Still happy I went out and did it. Just hope the runniners will dry out before the next run tomorrow.

Got psyched up and gave it another lash this morning....and conquered it! :P
    Thrilled, but I'd be lying if I said it was easy, I was wrecked afterwards, but the sense of accomplishment was gratifying. I have a feeling that I will repeat this week so as to ensure that I'm fit & ready for the longer 8 minute runs (:eek:) next week.

Thanks Firedance, I saw your post last night and it helped a lot :) I now know that sometimes when you're not in the right mind-space, the easiest thing can seem impossible.

The layout of Wk4 D2 on my app is 5 min warm-up, 3 min run, 2X5 min runs and another 3 min run and cooldown (all runs intersected by either 2/3 min walks)....I completed all 3 runs yesterday evening (1X3;2X5) but fell short during the last 3 minute run....so close, yet so far :(

The rest of the evening was spent wallowing in self-pity for a while, having a Chinese Take-away :eek: and going for a 5k walk to clear my head...maybe that was my recipe for success :D:D Lol
    +1 on this. Have Graduated the c25k, have a had a few runs that didn't go plan both while doing the plan and since. Chin up and repeat as many time as necessary. Many have even started over. No shame in that either.

Thanks Greenmachine, it's always reassuring to know that other runners have faced similar challenges.....although I'm certainly not a runner yet (!) but hopefully someday. ;)
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Perfectly normal for the head to get the better of us all on some runs . You could go out in a day or so and find the same run easy . My advice would be try again in a day or so and start you run really slowly and speed up if you feel it's ok to do so.

Thanks The Muppet (awesome username :D) Despite being focused this morning, a little self-doubt remained ('what if I won't be able for it again today....then what?' etc.) But I'm glad I went for it and pushed through. Here's to the next session!

that's great smallteapot, really glad you gave it another try and its a great idea to repeat the week. Sounds like you'd gotten through most of the session the first time though, if that happens again its ok to stop for a min or two and walk and then tell yourself you can absolutely do this and you're not letting a few stray 'thoughts' get in the way of your run and push on :)

Thanks The Muppet (awesome username :D) Despite being focused this morning, a little self-doubt remained ('what if I won't be able for it again today....then what?' etc.) But I'm glad I went for it and pushed through. Here's to the next session!

Well done on completing the session . I find telling myself I'm not finished until I've finished keeps me moving when my head is telling me to stop . I think I read that here on some ones log and it works for me.

Long story re the username .we won't go there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The Muppet wrote: »
    I find telling myself I'm not finished until I've finished keeps me moving when my head is telling me to stop.

Heh, this is what I do too. I'll be like "We'll brain, you can sit there bitching at me or you can get on board, because the only way out of this is to finish the run. Or break our leg. You're not going to break our leg, are you?"

• Advertisement

Decided against repeating the Wk4 sessions as I did Wk4 D3 on Sunday and it went quite well :)

Took 2 days off and back on the saddle again today - completed Wk5 D1 earlier this evening and I was pretty happy with it. I'm not going to win any time trials with my glacial running speed; but I did the whole session without stopping. (I actually haven't yet paused or stopped a session since I started, aside from my false start last week :o)

In terms of this week, I gather that 5 minutes is the new 3 :D Wk5 D2 on the app includes an eight minute run segment, so that should be interesting....!

I have used the treadmill since the beginning of the programme while following the app on the iPad. Has anyone else used the treadmill solely for the Couch 2 5K? Or indeed used switched between the treadmill and outdoor running? How have you found the transition? I find the treadmill to be the most feasible option for me as I'm at least a 15 minute car drive from a safe, pedestrianised, lit-up area to run outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have used the treadmill since the beginning of the programme while following the app on the iPad. Has anyone else used the treadmill solely for the Couch 2 5K? Or indeed used switched between the treadmill and outdoor running? How have you found the transition? I find the treadmill to be the most feasible option for me as I'm at least a 15 minute car drive from a safe, pedestrianised, lit-up area to run outdoors.

In my (admittedly limited) experience with treadmills, I've found them to be easier than running outside. I can run farther and faster on a treadmill. But then maybe that's down to the treadmill, or the settings, or whatever. I'm definitely not a treadmill expert.

Completed the week 4 on saturday, but my right knee was a bit sore for the last 2 runs. Right now it feels a it buised, so if it still feels like this tomorrow, I'm going to give it a skip this week and see if it gets better.

Completed the week 4 on saturday, but my right knee was a bit sore for the last 2 runs. Right now it feels a it buised, so if it still feels like this tomorrow, I'm going to give it a skip this week and see if it gets better.

Yes good idea to let it rest for a bit. I found when I started that I had lots of little niggles which I think is normal for most people. Best thing to do is not to force things so niggles don't become injuries. Approach things as slowly as your body wants you to. Make sure you have good well fitted shoes and no harm to invest in a foam roller if you don't already have one.
    Best of luck!

Yes good idea to let it rest for a bit. I found when I started that I had lots of little niggles which I think is normal for most people. Best thing to do is not to force things so niggles don't become injuries. Approach things as slowly as your body wants you to. Make sure you have good well fitted shoes and no harm to invest in a foam roller if you don't already have one.
    Best of luck!

I'm currently going through excercises (from physio) to fix up my knees - including foam rolling - so trying to stay patient and take it slowly.

On week 6, completed Wk6 D1 yesterday. Time has absolutely flown by. :) Can't believe I have 2 weeks left.
    My run yesterday comprised of 2X10 minute runs clocking in at approx 2.6km (pace = 7.5 mins/km). This is my baseline pace, and I'm unsure if this is too slow - should I increase it or maintain it?

I'm have also changed to the Couch-2-10K version of the app as it incorporates both the 5k/10k programme and I wanted to keep a record of all my runs in one place. It also means that once I complete week 8 I can continue onto the 10k programme the following week. Will wait and see how I get on in week 8 before deciding whether to jump straight into the 10k training or repeat week 8 sessions....

In other news, I signed up for my second 10k next month so will be looking for a marginally quicker time than the WMM I did in June if possible.

On week 6, completed Wk6 D1 yesterday. Time has absolutely flown by. :) Can't believe I have 2 weeks left.
    My run yesterday comprised of 2X10 minute runs clocking in at approx 2.6km (pace = 7.5 mins/km). This is my baseline pace, and I'm unsure if this is too slow - should I increase it or maintain it?

I'm have also changed to the Couch-2-10K version of the app as it incorporates both the 5k/10k programme and I wanted to keep a record of all my runs in one place. It also means that once I complete week 8 I can continue onto the 10k programme the following week. Will wait and see how I get on in week 8 before deciding whether to jump straight into the 10k training or repeat week 8 sessions....

In other news, I signed up for my second 10k next month so will be looking for a marginally quicker time than the WMM I did in June if possible.

good on you :) I wouldn't worry about pace at all for now, just concentrate on getting the runs done & building to 5K

+1,000 to Firedance's advice! Forget the pace altogether for the moment. Just get used to learning how to run and how to pace yourself well so you're not completely wrecked at the end of the running sections so try to maintain an even effort and run as slowly as necessary. It's all about just getting time on your feet at this stage so relax and try to enjoy it!
    Well done on getting to Week 6 in one piece! No stopping you now! Keep us posted!

^^ Advice taken on board - thanks guys, much appreciated :) Time to keep the eye on the prize and get to week 8. Will update soon. Thanks for the support. :D:D

• Advertisement

Looking forward to your week 6 day 3 completed post. Enjoy.

Advertisement